Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I am USC/UKC, he's UKC; we want to live in UK and US

I am USC/UKC, he's UKC; we want to live in UK and US

Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

wuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nice
Wink I am USC/UKC, he's UKC; we want to live in UK and US

This is a tough question to search on, as it seems like a rarity. Can anyone help?
I'm originally a US citizen, moved to UK, married a UK citizen and I followed all the rules to become a UK citizen, as well. After 10 years here, we want to spend about half the year in the US, half the UK.

We know we want to buy a home in the US because it's better financially. Our issue comes when we return to the UK. We can't afford to own a place here too, and we don't want to rent a new place every time we return. Holiday lets are an option, but it's a bit expensive and where we are (and therefore want to come back to) there are not a lot of choices (Tunbridge Wells, Kent).

Has anyone heard of what folks do in this situation? We know there are a lot of blocks on the way (immigration, work etc.), but we can do that. It's the housing that's causing the consternation. I'd love to hear any suggestions or places/sites/threads to look at. Thanks everyone.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am USC/UKC, he's UKC; we want to live in UK and US

I know you're only asking about housing here, and you say you've got the immigration issue solved. Does that mean he is of an age where he can easily get a B-2 visa in order to spend up to 6 months a year in the USA? Having a USC spouse works against him in this regard, because he will be perceived as having immigrant intent. Especially if he no longer has a UK residence to return to.

Rene
Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Since your spouse is not a US Citizen. they cannot live in the US for 1/2 a year. 90 days under the VWP if they are eligibile to use it is about it and then they have to leave, wait a while and then return for another 90 days.

Have you thought of getting your spouse an immediate relative visa to live and work in the US, and then 3 years down the line they would be eligible to natualize and that would one part of the problem solved. Note that even with the IR Visa and the subsequent green card he receives upon entry to the US, he still cannot live 1/2 a year there and 1/2 a year here without jepordizing his eligibility to naturalize.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 26th 2012 at 4:53 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wuthering
This is a tough question to search on, as it seems like a rarity. Can anyone help?
I'm originally a US citizen, moved to UK, married a UK citizen and I followed all the rules to become a UK citizen, as well. After 10 years here, we want to spend about half the year in the US, half the UK.

We know we want to buy a home in the US because it's better financially. Our issue comes when we return to the UK. We can't afford to own a place here too, and we don't want to rent a new place every time we return. Holiday lets are an option, but it's a bit expensive and where we are (and therefore want to come back to) there are not a lot of choices (Tunbridge Wells, Kent).

Has anyone heard of what folks do in this situation? We know there are a lot of blocks on the way (immigration, work etc.), but we can do that. It's the housing that's causing the consternation. I'd love to hear any suggestions or places/sites/threads to look at. Thanks everyone.
No two ways around it, owning two homes is always going to be expensive. Even if/when you own both outright, you have taxes, homeowner's insurance, condo fees or equivalent (if in a community) or out of pocket expenses for mowing, caretaking etc. (if a private house.)
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

What about HomeExchange.com? When I lived in Cayman, my neighbours who had an amazing house, did a 3 month swap with a family from China - worked out really well. House doesn't have to be amazing either - just somewhere people want to go and spend a few months or weeks.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:53 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
No two ways around it, owning two homes is always going to be expensive. Even if/when you own both outright, you have taxes, homeowner's insurance, condo fees or equivalent (if in a community) or out of pocket expenses for mowing, caretaking etc. (if a private house.)
Yes, I agree. Wasn't there a thread about this recently?

Aha, found it:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750294
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

He needs to obtain US Citizenship.

Whilst that is happening earn or obtain loads of money. Looked it up, revoked in 2003.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Apr 26th 2012 at 7:19 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 2:18 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The 6 and 6 option is frequently discussed on the board here, so you might want to look at some of the other threads for more information.

As a US citizen spending six months in the USA you may lose your right to the foreign income and foreign housing deductions on your US taxes. You know the thing that says the first $92,000 of foreign income is excluded from US taxes? This might be a problem, might not, but something you might want to consider.

You also really have to figure out how you are going to have health insurance in the US. You can take out some traveling policies (maybe) but some of those don't cover major illnesses or they do cover them for quite a high premium (too many options to speak clearly as to the specifics).