Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I am in need of advice.. anyone please??

I am in need of advice.. anyone please??

Old Nov 21st 2002, 11:21 pm
A.S.

anonymous82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question I am in need of advice.. anyone please??

I know someone who had a b-2 visa, well they were under 18 when they came here and it expired after this person turned 18. They are now 20 and do not know what to do,they still live in the USA and they want to stay, they are working for a family business so they are making enough money to support themselves. They are also wanting to get married to a person who was born in the USA, they are scared to leave for they do not know if they can come back. They love it here, but are unsure what to do.. Do you have any info that I can give to this person and their fiance (a US citizen). This person wants to also go to college here.
Can they fill out for the green card lottery? If so, can they get deported by filling it out since they are now here without a visa?

They have called lawyers, and the lawyers said that they need to get married and then wait. They said that this is not a reason to get married soon. They love eachother more then anything, but want to wait to marry until they are older, at least by 2 or 3 years. If you have any info for them please let me know.
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 6:01 am
boomer2

Default Tricky

If they are working, they are breaking the law. If they have a B-2 that has expired for more than 6 months they face the 3-year ban and after 1 year they face the 10-year ban. They are not eligible for the green card lottery since the British quota has been met and the UK is not part of that any more. Even if they got married they would still face problems with the visa out of status issue and the illegal employment. Probably better to lay low, get married and then face any penalties that are in force at that time, probably a slap on the wrist. It's unlikely that they would be deported but I think that marriage sooner than later is better.