Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Season

Hurricane Season

Old Mar 30th 2006, 5:59 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hurricane Season

Originally Posted by Sooty
I've been through several hurricanes. A rule of thumb I use is this: If you are 30 miles from the nearest salt-water and 30 feet or more above sea level, don't evacuate--you'll just get in the way of those who really do need to get out. Make sure you have plenty of water, non-perishable food, essential medicines, candles, and a radio with plenty of batteries. Stay away from windows,trees, and power lines. If winds rise to hurricane force, stay in the middle of your house or apartment to minimise the possibility of being injured by a tree falling on your home.
And above all...

DON'T PANIC
Old Mar 30th 2006, 5:59 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Get all your important papers together in a safe box.
Bank info
Insurance
Home mortgage papers
USCIS documents
Anything you value .
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by rushman
I love it when the Floridian members of BE (you know who you are) take the piss out of Gruff, Bob and myself for shovelling snow all winter and then we take the piss as they shovel up whats left of their houses in the summer.
Snort. T'ain't me!

Just got to live with the fact that wherever you live in the US you're going to have to deal with something or other weatherwise.

Whether it is 120F and all your power goes off, to blizzards, hurricanes or tornadoes, there is nowhere really safe.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by vegas
The Tornado capital of the world is the UK they have more per square mile than anywhere else on the planet.
But they're not as big as the ones you have up your way.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:34 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
But they're not as big as the ones you have up your way.
The state which has the highest number of tornadoes per unit area is Florida, although most of the tornadoes in Florida are weak tornadoes of F0 or F1 intensity. A number of Florida's tornadoes occur along the edge of Hurricanes. The state with the highest number of stronger tornadoes per unit area is Oklahoma. The neighboring state of Kansas is another particularly notorious tornado state
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas
The state which has the highest number of tornadoes per unit area is Florida, although most of the tornadoes in Florida are weak tornadoes of F0 or F1 intensity. A number of Florida's tornadoes occur along the edge of Hurricanes. The state with the highest number of stronger tornadoes per unit area is Oklahoma. The neighboring state of Kansas is another particularly notorious tornado state
I thought Florida was known as tornado alley
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lolly
I thought Florida was known as tornado alley
Tornado alley stretches from Texas all the way up the midwest.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Thanks everyone I am gonna collate a lot of this info and formulate a plan.

Only thing is OH has decided we need to buy a truck that we cant afford to carry the generator that we cant afford
I'm glad not to have a generator; a few days without TV and a/c can be quite a luxury
Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:28 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Get all your important papers together in a safe box.
Bank info
Insurance
Home mortgage papers
USCIS documents
Anything you value .
Make copies of these and keep them in a safety deposit box at a BANK, not a storage unit.

Get a small waterproof safe to keep them at home.

If a hurricane takes off the roof, there's not a lot you can do about it. There have been lots of great suggestions and there's probably a hurricane readiness site out there for your area.

Learn from Katrina:

1) don't stay home. you'll be stranded if you stay, the emergency services won't be able to reach you and they'll be strained as it is, and if you make a dash for it last minute, you'll be stuck in traffic in a car that doesn't float well.

2) this year there ought to be much better lists available of inland shelters. Pick one that's not too large but not too small -- in fact, pick a couple. If you don't want to do a shelter, likewise choose a hotel and make reservations the minute your area becomes a possible target. You can usually cancel US hotel reservations up to 6 pm of the night of checkin, but of course, verify this.

3) make sure the shelter or hotel is willing to house pets, if you have them.

As a general precaution, label everything of value in your home with an identifying number -- driver's license works well. This helps protect against thieves as well as looters.

I lived on the Gulf Coast for 18 years -- it's just part of life there.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:30 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Tornado alley stretches from Texas all the way up the midwest.
We are at the southern end; it stretches up the Great Plains and then east to Ohio. Rather big area. Anywhere that lacks topography that would break up a tornado (eg mountains) is going to be vulnerable. We had F5's here a few years back that ripped blades of grass out of the ground.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:31 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Whether it is 120F and all your power goes off, to blizzards, hurricanes or tornadoes, there is nowhere really safe.
I am yet to have to hide in a basement or throw chipboard over my windows during a blizzard
Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:33 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I am yet to have to hide in a basement or throw chipboard over my windows during a blizzard
That's right - you've only had to do that in the past when you've been in detroit and it had nowt to do with the weather
Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Well in 10 years here ...storms damage has totalled $20 ..on my gaffe
If your going to live in Florida .. North of Tampa is safer ....
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
Well in 10 years here ...storms damage has totalled $20 ..on my gaffe
If your going to live in Florida .. North of Tampa is safer ....
Touchwood, not a penny yet. Hope my luck holds.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:07 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolly
Depends where you live, talk to your neighbours find out what it has been like in previous years.
Ahhh, the previous NO method. (New Orleans).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.