British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Hurricaine Rita (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hurricaine-rita-326988/)

anotherlimey Sep 24th 2005 3:47 am

Re: Hurricaine Rita

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Yeah I'm sure, not sure what the cost will be though-2.65 here yesterday.
If you ARE coming through on 75 then I think Macon is the largest city south of Atlanta so should find some there.

I think I'll just push my car through GA; in fact to save some dosh I'll push it all the way.

cindyabs Sep 24th 2005 3:52 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I think I'll just push my car through GA; in fact to save some dosh I'll push it all the way.

I hope you have a Mini, :p

robskatie Sep 24th 2005 3:54 am

Interesting little tidbit, the governor in my state has asked all school districts to close Mon and Tues in order to conserve gas. The expected jump in prices because of Rita will impact the school districts. All but 4 districts have complied.
He also has asked us to limit nonessental travel and to consider a four day work week.

I just spoke to my girlfriend in Macon, they have all their school closed too on Mon and Tues, glad ours aren't closing here :eek: !!!!!!

anotherlimey Sep 24th 2005 3:55 am

I hope you have a Mini, :p

No but I'm going to lubricate the tyres to make it easier.:D

cindyabs Sep 24th 2005 3:57 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
No but I'm going to lubricate the tyres to make it easier.:D

Lubricate yourself enough and you won't care what it is, :D
Bonus-they can't get you for drunk driving.

snowbunny Sep 24th 2005 4:48 am

Everything is fine here in Austin -- in fact mostly sunny skies, some wind, and going to be HOT. :( I'd hoped for some cooler weather to go to our festie.

I also have to convince the ex to watch our youngest if I wish to skive off to said festival.

Many places are still out of gas and bottled water etc but it appears as if Galveston and Houston were very, very lucky and things in Texas ought to be back to normal fairly soon, unless the thing stalls over land and creates flooding. Even then, it would not be here, but rather up by Dallas and Texarkana.

Been cleaning up the house, which is a never-ending chore, and we've had to turn on the sprinklers as there's been no rain and quite a lot of heat. Could September please end?!

Thanks to all who have been thinking of us -- I think poor Louisiana got it in the balls again. :(

If there are huge shortages or price rises in gasoline, it's gouging.... none of the refineries have been significantly affected.

Of course, hurricane season is not over yet.

Celtic_Angel Sep 24th 2005 3:30 pm

well for those who are interested I'm home safe and sound :)
....fortunately for us the storm moved East...not so for those poor people in SE Texas /SW Louisiana , my heart and thoughts are with them and I hope everybody is safe

I could probably start my own blog with what we went through :eek: and we were the lucky ones! We would have ended up like many others stranded on the highway out of gas, if it wasn't for the kindness of strangers....no really...if you know Houston I live near Stafford , it took us over six hours to get to the Woodlands....normally a 45 min drive and it cost us over half a tank of gas :eek: .....we only got that far because we avoided the highways.....right when we reached I-45 we're they were going to change the southbound lanes into northbound we had to stop ..our brakes were sticking burning up our tires (with all the stop and go) we took two right turns into a subdivision to let our engine cool down and hopefully the tires etc and some kind people invited us inside their home for a rest and refreshments...then a neighbour who was a realtor offered us shelter in a house he was selling, it was beautiful and had electricity and what's funny is the guy was a Brit!!!! :D

so we stayed there until today when for Houston the worst was over and we raced back home, or so we thought....car trouble again....our engine was at the H in the heat index and we had to putt putt home.....if I'd had any doubts I knew then that if it wasn't for the kindness of this man my family and I would have spent over 24 hours and the storm stuck on the highway in our van........ :scared:

It's really good to know that there's some really good kind people out there :)
Sugarmooma I hope you are safe ...let me know how you and your family are doing.

cindyabs Sep 25th 2005 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
....fortunately for us the storm moved East...not so for those poor people in SE Texas /SW Louisiana , my heart and thoughts are with them and I hope everybody is safe

Sugarmooma I hope you are safe ...let me know how you and your family are doing.

She's ok, posted in another thread. They started out and turned around and went back home.

Glad you are both not too much the worse for wear. The kindness of strangers, eh? :)

krizzy Sep 26th 2005 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel

I could probably start my own blog with what we went through :eek: and we were the lucky ones! We would have ended up like many others stranded on the highway out of gas, if it wasn't for the kindness of strangers....no really...if you know Houston I live near Stafford , it took us over six hours to get to the Woodlands....normally a 45 min drive and it cost us over half a tank of gas :eek: .....we only got that far because we avoided the highways.....right when we reached I-45 we're they were going to change the southbound lanes into northbound we had to stop ..our brakes were sticking burning up our tires (with all the stop and go) we took two right turns into a subdivision to let our engine cool down and hopefully the tires etc and some kind people invited us inside their home for a rest and refreshments...then a neighbour who was a realtor offered us shelter in a house he was selling, it was beautiful and had electricity and what's funny is the guy was a Brit!!!! :D

so we stayed there until today when for Houston the worst was over and we raced back home, or so we thought....car trouble again....our engine was at the H in the heat index and we had to putt putt home.....if I'd had any doubts I knew then that if it wasn't for the kindness of this man my family and I would have spent over 24 hours and the storm stuck on the highway in our van........ :scared:

It's really good to know that there's some really good kind people out there :)

Really happy to see you're safe..........sorry about the car trouble........here was I worrying about the cost of a leak of oil in hubbys car this morning............forgetting that so many have lost so much............

teddybear707 Feb 24th 2006 7:16 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Maybe the cruise ship is destined to sink.

Hey guys, Im back online again. We were affected by Hurricane Rita and received alot of damage from the storm. We ended up driving to my moms house in Lufkin Texas to get out of harms way and when we returned home 10 days later, we had the shock of our life. We lost half of our roof, a tree fell threw our back porch. We lost our couch, coffee table, computer desk,a few baby idems and had black mold covering the walls of my living room and our bedroom. I was 8 months pregnant when it hit and we were displaced for a month because our house was unlivable. Matter of fact, it still is unlivaable now, but we are managing the best we can. Thank God my dad helped us get a couch and the church helped me get baby idems. FEMA said our house was unlivable but they denied me and said I would have to ask the state for help because FEMA doesnt deal with personal property damage. I had to bring my newborn baby into this mess. The good news is that no one got hurt and the baby was born healthy. My husband is also dutch and the FEMA guy asked him if he could help make our cities hurricane safe, of course he was joking but maybe we could learn from the dutch. I only hope and pray that this year is not as bad for hurricane. We still have a blue roof and I dont think it could with stand another hurricane. As far as immigration is going, we are just waiting for him to receive greencard. I couldnt get online for a few months because we didnt have telephone or cable connect,but it's great to be back on.

dunroving Feb 24th 2006 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by teddybear707
Hey guys, Im back online again. We were affected by Hurricane Rita and received alot of damage from the storm. We ended up driving to my moms house in Lufkin Texas to get out of harms way and when we returned home 10 days later, we had the shock of our life. We lost half of our roof, a tree fell threw our back porch. We lost our couch, coffee table, computer desk,a few baby idems and had black mold covering the walls of my living room and our bedroom. I was 8 months pregnant when it hit and we were displaced for a month because our house was unlivable. Matter of fact, it still is unlivaable now, but we are managing the best we can. Thank God my dad helped us get a couch and the church helped me get baby idems. FEMA said our house was unlivable but they denied me and said I would have to ask the state for help because FEMA doesnt deal with personal property damage. I had to bring my newborn baby into this mess. The good news is that no one got hurt and the baby was born healthy. My husband is also dutch and the FEMA guy asked him if he could help make our cities hurricane safe, of course he was joking but maybe we could learn from the dutch. I only hope and pray that this year is not as bad for hurricane. We still have a blue roof and I dont think it could with stand another hurricane. As far as immigration is going, we are just waiting for him to receive greencard. I couldnt get online for a few months because we didnt have telephone or cable connect,but it's great to be back on.

Hi Hon, missed you tons. I was beginning to think you'd dropped off the face of the Earth. Hey, you know we painted our blue roof green and we haven't had a hurricane since, you should try it.

There, happy now?

gruffbrown Feb 24th 2006 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
Hi Hon, missed you tons. I was beginning to think you'd dropped off the face of the Earth. Hey, you know we painted our blue roof green and we haven't had a hurricane since, you should try it.

There, happy now?

My head is spinning :D

evoal2003 Feb 24th 2006 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
My head is spinning :D

I'm with you on this one. :confused:

dunroving Feb 24th 2006 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by evoal2003
I'm with you on this one. :confused:

Oh, come on, surely you remember me from '66? Red Corvette? YOu know the thing with the whatsit and we talked and there was that thing but the wind blew my hat off and i lost electricity an had to go away for 20 years but i'm back on the email and just wanted everyone t know that since i painted the roof green there hasn't been any more wind. But I still can't find my shoes.

Get with the program!!!!!!

cindyabs Feb 24th 2006 9:31 pm

They have hurricanes in the Netherlands? :confused: