Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hunt Valley, MD?

Hunt Valley, MD?

Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hunt Valley, MD?

So what's the skinny here then?

20 miles north of the big city, that's a bit heavy on the crime, but there's plenty of booze is the gist of things.

Another potential happening out there, so wondering if I should be scared or happy about it...
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:03 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hunt Valley, MD?

Originally Posted by Bob

20 miles north of the big city, that's a bit heavy on the crime, but there's plenty of booze is the gist of things.

Another potential happening out there, so wondering if I should be scared or happy about it...
Big steeplechase there every year I think. Nearby Timonium is a hotbed of the video game design industry (Civilization was created there, along with many other games). Your north of Baltimore which is a bit nice, but I think to get downtown on the freeway wouldn't be that rough. I think it's actually a pretty rich part of Baltimore County. And they have a Wegmans (in case you need a real grocery store). Low crime, good schools more or less. Not as happening as Annapolis (South of Baltimore 20 miles) but nice nonetheless.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/balti...-me-about.html
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The sleepy might not be too bad, just maybe not to sleepy...anything with public transport to and from would be a bonus if looking at other nearby towns as I hate driving.

The house prices don't seem to different to what's around where I am the moment, not looked too much at the rentals, but I don't think it's much different.

So any idea on the travel to and from, such as airport hub, a good one? costly or not to bad?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:43 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

I'm waiting for Kansas City to make the threads next.

I think you'd like living in MD. It's a pretty small state but it's beautiful. Nice access to the beaches during the summer and fantastic seafood around the harbor. Phillips Seafood Restaurant and Legal Seafood are fantastic. You're about 2 hours from DC but you can hope on Amtrak or the Marc train if you want to get there. You should take the train there for a short weekend if things start getting serious and take a look around. Oh and you are also very close to Philly as well. This is the southern tip of what we call the Bos-Wash Megalopolis Corridor.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Baltimore for 16 years. I know Hunt Valley well. I can help you with any questions you might have.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:58 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Baltimore has some public transit but not nearly as much as Washington, and nothing like you are used to in the UK. You can take a (slow) light rail tram from Hunt Valley to downtown Baltimore or even to the airport, but the run would be about an hour into the city.

You would need a car for shopping and day to day in Hunt Valley. You would probably go somewhere nearby (in a car) for groceries and dinner and whatnot.

Baltimore has a pretty bad reputation for crime but it has slowly been improving. The city has a bit of new money coming in as some DC area workers want to live in a 'city' but cannot afford the obscene prices of the inner core of DC, so they take the MARC every day into DC from Baltimore.

Baltimore is on the Amtrak so DC/Philly/NY are all a train ride away. While not up to European levels of speed and frequency, the NE Corridor of trains between DC and NY is probably the best rail service you'll find in the US (which isn't saying much but is something).

Hunt Valley is a bit of a burb, but maybe you are looking for that.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by simongb
I have lived in Baltimore for 16 years. I know Hunt Valley well. I can help you with any questions you might have.
Thanks

You wouldn't have much of an idea on what the house rental scene is like? How about the traffic? And would other commuter towns be worth looking at or hunt valley not to bad?

It seems alright, if a bit quiet, but if there's stuff to do it wouldn't bother us that much...

Oh, and no weird booze laws out there by any chance?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
S
Both, by the look of it!

http://www.huntvalley.com/

Cute!!
(gas is 3.85/gal today)

Traffic reports! http://www.huntvalley.com/traffic.php
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:34 pm

Is your job in B'more proper or Hunt Valley or somewhere else? If it is in Baltimore proper you have some other options on places to live.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Second pretty much everything that has been said here. As mentioned, lots of software stuff there.

It's definitely the 'burbs, so crime isn't anything like it is in say, West Baltimore.

For public transport into Baltimore there is the light rail, taking about 3/4 of an hour. and that can get you to BWI airport too ( A big hub for Southwest and has one daily flight with British Airways to LHR - count on a 1/2 to 3/4 hour drive there). Hunt Valley is next to I-83, and this will take you into the city in about 20 minutes, assuming the traffic is OK - which at rush hour it's often packed - especially near the city line.

Booze wise, nothing particularly strange. Basically, booze is sold in booze shops, not supermarkets. Baltimore County has jurisdiction (rather than the State) , and you can buy booze everyday of the week (although not in all areas on Sunday). Fells Point in the city has the distiction of having more bars per square mile than anywhere else in the US. Bars are open Sunday

For added excitment, it's also home to the Maryland State Fair.

Last edited by Pharrya; Aug 15th 2008 at 10:29 pm. Reason: excessive use of the word 'and'
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pharrya
Second pretty much everything that has been said here. As mentioned, lots of software stuff there.

It's definitely the 'burbs, so crime isn't anything like it is in say, West Baltimore.

For public transport into Baltimore there is the light rail, taking about 3/4 of an hour. and that can get you to BWI airport too ( A big hub for Southwest and has one daily flight with British Airways to LHR - count on a 1/2 to 3/4 hour drive there). Hunt Valley is next to I-83, and this will take you into the city in about 20 minutes, assuming the traffic is OK - which at rush hour it's often packed - especially near the city line.

Booze wise, nothing particularly strange. Basically, booze is sold in booze shops, not supermarkets. Baltimore County has jurisdiction (rather than the State) , and you can buy booze everyday of the week (although not in all areas on Sunday). Fells Point in the city has the distiction of having more bars per square mile than anywhere else in the US. Bars are open Sunday

For added excitment, it's also home to the Maryland State Fair.
Unless it's changed in the last couple of years BA daily flights from BWI went in to Gatwick. Also Dulles is not far from Baltimore, also Philly International is reasonably close.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by meauxna
Both, by the look of it!

http://www.huntvalley.com/

Cute!!
(gas is 3.85/gal today)

Traffic reports! http://www.huntvalley.com/traffic.php
Ouch, it's just gone down to $3.65 in town at the moment, less for cash...

penguinsix - Hunt Valley, centre off I believe, you kind of hit the nail on the head with an earlier comment...

Anyway, interview went well, art director is discussing with other leads and he'll let me know soon and if it goes forward they'll fly me down for a visit to meet the teams and stuff...
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nethead
Unless it's changed in the last couple of years BA daily flights from BWI went in to Gatwick. Also Dulles is not far from Baltimore, also Philly International is reasonably close.
Yep, it has indeed changed, though about 8 years ago! Now flies to Heathrow Terminal 4.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:16 am

There is a an IDGA chapter in Baltimore if you are active with them. They might have some other leads in the North Baltimore region.

http://www.igda.org/baltimore/

There is also one in DC, which has some game developers but also has a lot of what is called 'serious gaming' (aka military simulations) which is a pretty huge business.

http://www.igda.org/dc/
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:18 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
There is a an IDGA chapter in Baltimore if you are active with them. They might have some other leads in the North Baltimore region.

http://www.igda.org/baltimore/

There is also one in DC, which has some game developers but also has a lot of what is called 'serious gaming' (aka military simulations) which is a pretty huge business.

http://www.igda.org/dc/
If Bob sought citizenship that would be a huge plus for getting a clearance to dev those kind of sims. I don't know if that fits in with what he does in the production process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.