Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Human rights in US immigration

Human rights in US immigration

Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

wilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nice
Default Human rights in US immigration

I am curious if anyone has had any experience when it comes to enforcing human rights within US immigration.

I believe that some of my human rights have been breached during visa applications and wondered if anyone had similar experiences and tried to enforce their human rights?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Human rights in US immigration

Originally Posted by wilba1234
I believe that some of my human rights have been breached during visa applications
which human rights did they breach?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea what human right are, my first thoughts would be that there are no such things.

Now there are Constitutional Rights, is that what you mean?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

wilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nice

I believe they have breach my right to a fair trial, right to family reunification and right of children to parental care.

I am currently trying to obtain a CR-1 visa and like I say I am just curios if anyone had tried to enforce human rights.

Im not saying that I would persue it, just curious if human rights have any bearing on immigration law.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

I understand that the right to a fair trial will have no bearing over my visa application but I may be able to dismiss my pending court case because of it.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

SDB1985 will become famous soon enough

Why do you believe you wouldnt have a fair trial?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm aware, there is no 'right to family reunification' within US immigration law. If you can't meet the terms of the visa (i.e. sponsorship), then there is no recourse.

In addition, I'm also unaware that they have to let you enter just so you can attend a civil court trial.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Oct 25th 2012 at 3:13 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Given the struggles people are having just to get recognition of same sex couples, i'd say no.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Has your latest visa app been denied?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 3:28 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Fair trial for what? What crime have you committed that you've been put on trial for?
I believe they have breach my right to a fair trial, ...
I am not aware of any such rights. What do you believe to be your basis for having these 'rights'?
... right to family reunification and right of children to parental care.
Regards, JEff

EDIT: I read your story in a post in this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...3#post10335853

I didn't see any mention of a US immigration lawyer being involved in any of your numerous attempts and failures to obtain a visa. Have you retained one?

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Oct 25th 2012 at 3:35 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The OP is probably asking because of the EU Human Rights Convention, that can, and does, affect UK immigration. If UK immigration decides against giving someone a visa, that person can sue based on breaches of Human Rights. No such thing is available in the US, AFAIK.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
And more importantly why was it denied?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 4:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing going for the US.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SDB1985
Why do you believe you wouldnt have a fair trial?
I was reading up on human rights and the right to a fair trial and it states that a trial must be held within a reasonable time.

I was arrested for a DWI in Houston in Feb 2011, it has been almost 2 year since. The judge revoked my bond because I could not attend court.

In the paper work it stated

"The defendant did not appear. The Defendant’s name was distinctly called at the courthouse door, and after waiting a reasonable time, the Defendant failed to appear. It is, therefore, ORDERED that the bond of the Defendant is declared forfeited, and the State of Texas shall have and recover of and from the Defendant, WILLIAM TAYLOR, as principal, on the bond, the sum of $500.00 plus costs of court. This judgment will become final unless good cause is shown why the defendant did not appear."

I believe that not being allowed to set foot on US soile is a good cause.
Also as the court has waited for so long it may look like I have been trying to avoid the hearing. I feel that this will have a negative affect on the outcome.

A right to a fair trial also states that the person should remain innocent until proven guilty. I have had 3 visa's denied because of the DWI, if I we seen to be innocent would I have been granted the visa's?

Last edited by wilba1234; Oct 25th 2012 at 5:39 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
No it has not yet, I'm holding much more hope for this one than the others tho.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.