Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HSBC Secure Key

HSBC Secure Key

Old May 23rd 2012, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC Secure Key

I got one as well, can't remember when but it's been a while. I have my US address on the account and iit got sent here. It's extremely annoying and despite their claim that it's easily portable, in reality it isn't so I can no longer log into my account whenever I feel like it, I have to wait until I'm at home where the stupid key is.
Old May 23rd 2012, 3:46 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philk
The Secure Key is a small device that generates a code ( different every time ) that you have to enter
Yes, I have an HSBC account, and I had to start using this about six months ago. It looks like a little calculator. It's a pain -- the first one they sent me didn't work -- but I suppose it's safer.

I got a warning letter, then the device a few weeks later. Which address do you have registered with HSBC? I'm surprised they didn't notify you.
Old May 23rd 2012, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I got my secure pin calculator thingy last year and even though my IB number, DOB is correct as well as the secure pin - I receive a green tick for each I receive a LOG_008 message telling me that something is incorrect or to try again. Of course I try again and get the same message. I tried e-mailing tech support who told me to telephone them instead or that I should go into my home branch whis isn't feasible.

So just so I understand this correctly, are you supposed to generate a new secure PIN each time you want to log in?
Old May 23rd 2012, 12:48 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
So just so I understand this correctly, are you supposed to generate a new secure PIN each time you want to log in?
Yes. You have a PIN number to turn the device on, and then the device generates a new PIN for each log-in.
Old May 23rd 2012, 3:02 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

I also have one of these devices. It was a pain at first but now I just make sure it's close by and I take it with me when I go back to the UK.
Old May 23rd 2012, 4:37 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

My (not HSBC) bank has had these for a while, but only as a second layer of security. I can log on without it and do loads of basic transactions, but if I want to do serious stuff, like overseas transfers or transactions above a certain amount, out comes the little calculator. I'm happy with that....it isn't too much of a hassle.

Knowing I was heading to the US (2008) I was concerned about the calculator thingy breaking just when I needed it to work - and they happily gave me a second one. It needs a personalized, chipped card to work, so if the card fails that's an issue, but I thought it more likely the calculator would die than the card. Anyway, it was free, so no harm in a little contingency!
Old May 24th 2012, 1:08 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Santander has a one time passcode they text to you. Unfortunately it's set up to my UK mobile, which is now showing as SIM invalid. Slight problem...

I now have to fax stuff to them, and they phone me back. Technology at it's best.
Old May 28th 2012, 11:37 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Had one for over 6 months. They sent plenty of correspondence and it was very clear they'd be required in order to access online banking. Not sure what the negative is other than having to carry a small calculator around with you / leave it near your computer which, for the level of fraud protection you get in UK accounts, is a small price...
Old May 28th 2012, 12:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
Had one for over 6 months. They sent plenty of correspondence and it was very clear they'd be required in order to access online banking. Not sure what the negative is other than having to carry a small calculator around with you / leave it near your computer which, for the level of fraud protection you get in UK accounts, is a small price...
I've still yet to get any mail on this. They have usually been good about sending in notices and regular statements though.
Old May 28th 2012, 12:36 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC are rolling this initiative out worldwide. I've received them for both my Channel Islands and UAE accounts. There is usually a 90 day lead in time as shown on their online banking entry pages.
Old May 28th 2012, 12:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
HSBC are rolling this initiative out worldwide. I've received them for both my Channel Islands and UAE accounts. There is usually a 90 day lead in time as shown on their online banking entry pages.
Hmm.. Nothing in the USA yet.