British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   HSBC phone verification - from abroad? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hsbc-phone-verification-abroad-762286/)

guitarmaan Jun 20th 2012 8:55 am

HSBC phone verification - from abroad?

These days HSBC sometimes sends a verification code to my mobile when doing a transaction online. It's good for security, but how is it going to work if I'm no longer in the UK? I think Santander sometimes does this too.

Obviously I want to maintain my UK account, mainly for online transactions etc. The HSBC code generator thingie has been mentioned here recently also. I can take that with me for now. But I don't know how to get round the telephone verification feature?

It's great HSBC take security very seriously. But for expats it creates problems.....

guitarmaan Jun 20th 2012 9:06 am

Re: HSBC phone verification - from abroad?

Actually I got it wrong. It's Santander that requires a mobile number for verification codes, not HSBC.

Bink Jun 20th 2012 1:07 pm

Lloyds phones me when I set up a new payee on my UK bank account and asks me to put in a verification code. I gave them my US cell phone number and have had no issues. Don't know about Santander but Lloyds is okay with it.

Weeze Jun 20th 2012 1:10 pm

We keep a pay as you go uk phone just for this with Santander.

guitarmaan Jun 20th 2012 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bink (Post 10129199)
Lloyds phones me when I set up a new payee on my UK bank account and asks me to put in a verification code. I gave them my US cell phone number and have had no issues. Don't know about Santander but Lloyds is okay with it.

Well that's encouraging :thumbup:

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 10129204)
We keep a pay as you go uk phone just for this with Santander.

ok cool. So your UK phone must work without issues abroad then. I suppose you'd only get with high roaming charges for outgoing calls, not incoming texts.

Weeze Jun 20th 2012 6:24 pm

Santander are predictably awful with everything.

Bob Jun 21st 2012 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 10129678)
Santander are predictably awful with everything.

That's what I hear, don't know why any one uses them?

HSBC will call your US number if they have it on file, which is easy to change if you have online banking.

Does mean you might get called at a right cnut of a time in the morning :/

Weeze Jun 21st 2012 7:22 am

We had Abbey as they had a good rate and then didn't bother changing. As long as you expect it to be awful, you don't get so disappointed and sometimes they suprise you!