Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HSBC & Health Insurance

HSBC & Health Insurance

Old Sep 6th 2016, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC & Health Insurance

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Good to know. (When I set up my Transferwise account it was to move money US to UK).
Ah, that makes sense then
Old Sep 6th 2016, 4:15 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Federal law requires proof of address when opening the account. It can be a foreign address if that is what you can prove with a utility bill or a letter from a tax authority. Once the account has been opened (like 2 minutes after) then you can change it to a local one which can be your work address or a mailbox until you have a US address.

ID proof - 2 forms one of which must be government issued. So passport/driving license and a credit card usually work just fine.

Library card - can't get one without proof of address.
Utility bills as proof of address in the US... yes but most people will need a bank account to pay deposits etc for their rental property.

When you arrive in the USA as a new immigrant, the first thing to do is get the bank account opened. Then the housing (because you can now pay for it) then the utility bills ( because you now have the address), then the social security number then the driving license.
i was trying to avoid this since i wasn't sure if it would work for proof of address but I'm planning on signing a rental lease with the future inlaws to rent their place on a month by month basis and they move out. its created from a legal site so looks formal and may pass if they are just interested in my name & address being on the document and signatures
Old Sep 6th 2016, 4:30 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84
i was trying to avoid this since i wasn't sure if it would work for proof of address but I'm planning on signing a rental lease with the future inlaws to rent their place on a month by month basis and they move out. its created from a legal site so looks formal and may pass if they are just interested in my name & address being on the document and signatures
If it's a proper rental agreement /contract then it should be ok. Does the state you are moving to have a standard tenancy lease? Texas does and it is what most people use since it covers all the legal bases - more to the point, the local banks are aware of what it looks like and would be more circumspect if a non-standard tenancy agreement were presented.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 4:54 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
If it's a proper rental agreement /contract then it should be ok. Does the state you are moving to have a standard tenancy lease? Texas does and it is what most people use since it covers all the legal bases - more to the point, the local banks are aware of what it looks like and would be more circumspect if a non-standard tenancy agreement were presented.
well its from here Residential Lease Agreement | Free Rental Lease Form (US) | LawDepot but obviously i would prefer not to upload our copy of it to a public site but as u can see from the draft template screenshot, its is created by asking questions and is tied into the local Illinios residential act's so should be legit

Old Sep 6th 2016, 5:01 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

"well its from here Residential Lease Agreement | Free Rental Lease Form (US) | LawDepot but obviously i would prefer not to upload our copy of it to a public site but as u can see from the draft template screenshot, its is created by asking questions and is tied into the local Illinios residential act's so should be legit"

should be ok then.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 9:04 pm
Conditional Resident

Originally Posted by kodokan
Not all Bronze plans are HSA ones, for no apparent reason as far as I can see based on deductible - the ones that are luckily include the term HSA in their name
so i went back to look this evening, the only plans that said were HSA came from unitedhealthcare. you was right, it was in the product names.

so this is the cheepest plan i can get, looks ok i guess but i guess i really need to read it fully but looks like all charges are after the deductible. Its $257 a month, with a $5500 Deductable and $6500 max outta pocket.

http://go.hc.gov/2cqsMp7