Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HPV Testing & HPV Vaccination for Girls

HPV Testing & HPV Vaccination for Girls

Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HPV Testing & HPV Vaccination for Girls

Originally Posted by TruBrit
from what i've read Gov Perry is continuing to push it through when further trials should be completed and the reason being his connections...so what's new in politics
Do you have any further information on this? AFAIK the trials that are ongoing are the usual post-marketing trials, as well as trials to ascertain whether the vaccine might also be effective in women with existant infection.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Do you have any further information on this? AFAIK the trials that are ongoing are the usual post-marketing trials, as well as trials to ascertain whether the vaccine might also be effective in women with existant infection.
not really but i'm sure it's out there somewhere....it was on the local news and there was a documentary on it last night..if i find anything i'll keep you posted.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:53 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: HPV Testing & HPV Vaccination for Girls

Originally Posted by Sue
I heard that a couple of times on tv yesterday, in fact one programme suggested they promote abstinence instead . Talk about burying their heads in the sand.

If this new vaccination will stop a girl getting cancer later in life, and perhaps even dying, I can't see why any sane parent would object.

Yes - these are the parents who encourage their daughters (and sons?) to vow to stay virgins until their wedding night and to wear the 'promise' rings as a badge of honour.....

They're living in cloud cuckoo land....
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
the MMR and other jabs are managtory over here for kids I think - so why not one that virtually eliminates a certain cause of a type of cancer?

Measles, mumps and rubella are 3 airbourne illness's, HPV is not airboune.

I dont think that is the main issue of concern. The concern is more the way it is being pushed onto young girls here in Texas without adequate trials and also the way our Governor made it mandatory.

Of course he is looking to be a running mate for VP at the next election as well......
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I dont think that is the main issue of concern. The concern is more the way it is being pushed onto young girls here in Texas without adequate trials and also the way our Governor made it mandatory.

Of course he is looking to be a running mate for VP at the next election as well......

exactly.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure on this, in theory I think it's a great idea, but has it's con's, but I think the con's people are using against it aren't the right ones, such as it's a Merck product...
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

As a Cervical cancer survivor I think the vaccination itself is a great breakthrough.
Cervical cancer being one of the "better" cancers to get if there is such a thing, is typically slow growing. The vaccination could obviously potentially save lives, given that cervical cancer does not typically show any symptoms until the disease has advanced into an invasive stage.

My concern comes with the fear that young women will think it's ok not to get routine pap exams after vaccination and that it must be thoroughly tested and safe before distribution.
like anything in life it has no guarantee which the statistics do show.

Some teenagers are going to become sexually active with or without a vaccine and practice unsafe sex. I don't see the vaccination encouraging them to do this any more than usual.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:35 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Measles, mumps and rubella are 3 airbourne illness's, HPV is not airboune.

I am still waiting for someone to supply a credible reference re. the supposed inadequacy of the trials that have been conducted so far.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

So much for "Don't Mess With Texas" Next thing you know they will be sending their sons for ballet lessons.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:26 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the MMR jab really mandatory?

How do they enforce that then if it is?

I react very badly to vaccines (really badly) and now I have to have them in single doses and spaced apart.

When I was a kid, it was single vaccines anyway but when I had a triple vaccine in 2005, I was ill for months - several months.

Just wonder how they make parents give their kids the jabs.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

I react very badly to vaccines (really badly) and now I have to have them in single doses and spaced apart.

When I was a kid, it was single vaccines anyway but when I had a triple vaccine in 2005, I was ill for months - several months.

How they get away with it is through the school's they will not let your Child attend, it's not like back home when we would all line up to get our jabs at school, here you have to go to the doctors and must show that all important shot card to the school.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:38 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
How they get away with it is through the school's they will not let your Child attend, it's not like back home when we would all line up to get our jabs at school, here you have to go to the doctors and must show that all important shot card to the school.
You see I would want single vaccines.

Im not talking about the MMR debate, I just think that some people react badly to them. My glands were up for months after my triple, my asthma was shite as well.

I wouldnt take the chance personally, Im not saying dont vaccinate, Im just saying dont put so many into one vaccine.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

In NJ kids have to have a medical and their shots brought up to date before school starts every Sept. If this is not done they cannot attend school...it's a state law.

If I had a young daughter I would not allow her to have HPV vacc. unless it had been in use for several years and thoroughly tested.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In NJ kids have to have a medical and their shots brought up to date before school starts every Sept. If this is not done they cannot attend school...it's a state law.

If I had a young daughter I would not allow her to have HPV vacc. unless it had been in use for several years and thoroughly tested.
Exactly.

Can you get single jabs though where you live?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.

Can you get single jabs though where you live?
If you mean the HPV...I don't know. If you mean the MMR...it's just one shot.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 6th 2007 at 9:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.