Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hows your accent?

Hows your accent?

Old Aug 19th 2006, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hows your accent?

ive lived in Illinois just over a year now and aside from a 5 day visit in May ive not spoken to a Brit since i left.

I lived in NZ for almost 3 years but of course the Uk accents are readily understood out there. Of course here in the USA its a bit different. I quickly learned that to avoid confusion and blank looks ive had to alter the way i speak somewhat. I hate to do this but it just comes naturally anyway.

Im from lancashire and I have a broad accent for sure, ive had people look at me like i was from mars when i speak. Ive found that i have to 'prep' them with something like 'Hi, I wonder if you can help me?' something familiar rather than just jumping in with the conversation. I speak clearly and a bit more slowly and have to say 'there' instead of 'thur' in fact its kind of like a 'posh' lancs accent, never mind. If i went to a bar and said 'alright mate, can I av a pinta beer anda bag a 'chips' id get blank stares.

anybody else have to compromise their accents?

bugman.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hows your accent?

I'm a drawling Lincolnshire boy, so generally my slowish speech seems to go across well with the masses.

Even so, I do find myself compromising on words to make myself understood - after being asked time and time again what it was you just said, I find that I automatically change it first time round these days.

The most prolific example I have is my name - unless I also pronounce it Day-an (like Forest Gump as in Loo-tenant Day-an!), 90% of the people will come back with "Nice to meet you Don", which gets bloody annoying!
Old Aug 19th 2006, 2:52 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

My wife cannot say water here in Georgia and be understood. After 2 or 3 duh' looks from the waiter/waitress I have to replace her WAR - TUR with my 'whhhhaatter'. Works every time .

Me, I order a guiness which is the same everywhere

I love throwing a load of cokney ryhming slang together to confuse my American friends....

As for my hertfordshire accent... It's there when I need it
Old Aug 19th 2006, 4:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

you can add your voice for all to hear at this posting
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388749

Last edited by Ray; Aug 19th 2006 at 4:25 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

I find there's an expectation here with accents, just as there's a belief that England is in London and everyone knows their Aunt Mary who lives in Birmingham (a suburb just north of London).

They hear my accent (standard northern British, neither Lancashire nor Yorkshire) and identify it as "foreign" so they ask where I'm from. Depending on how bright I think they are, I will either say "England" or "Manchester".

When they find out I'm not from London, there's always a sense of horrible disappointment, and they develop an immediate inability to understand a word I say, because I don't have a "proper" English accent like the blonde in the breath-freshening gum adverts.

"Ooh, you do have a strong accent don't you?" No, not really. Try listening to Pam Ayres. That is a strong accent. Or someone from Glasgow. I don't go round telling people they have a strong accent, it's like pointing out they're fat or ugly ... it's rude.

Most Americans like to guess where I'm from, and their first guess is usually Australia. Last week, I met a Brit who said she'd been here 30 years so she'd lost her original accent (darn sarf British). I was aghast, I'd have sworn blind she was an Aussie. Is that what living here for a long time does to a British accent? She certainly didn't sound American.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 6:02 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

I think there was another thread like this, but yeahhh Im getting mistaken for australian occasionally. Not too bad, once they hear my accent more, they realise im a londoner.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 6:03 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cinnabar] just as there's a belief that England is in London and everyone knows their Aunt Mary who lives in Birmingham (a suburb just north of London).

I heard on a radio station out here that The Beatles came from a small fishing villiage called Liverpool.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rodney you plonker]
Originally Posted by cinnabar
just as there's a belief that England is in London and everyone knows their Aunt Mary who lives in Birmingham (a suburb just north of London).

I heard on a radio station out here that The Beatles came from a small fishing villiage called Liverpool.
Is North America the only place on this planet that doesn't have villages? I don't understand that, when most of the immigrants making up their population are from European, African or Asian villages.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

you should try a doncaster or barnsley accent.... my own accent disappeared a while ago (moved around the UK a lot) but my parents are pure yorkshire.... my dad ended up resorting to gesturing/pointing/shouting when all he wanted was a cup of coffee from Starbucks....its funny... for the first 3 times.... 5 weeks later I started butting in.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 6:21 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cinnabar]
Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker

Is North America the only place on this planet that doesn't have villages? I don't understand that, when most of the immigrants making up their population are from European, African or Asian villages.
And on that note, how do they determine what constitutes a city out here, in my understanding there are a few parameters that must be met, one of which is that it must have a cathedral. Is that just an European thing??
Old Aug 19th 2006, 6:24 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Originally Posted by bugman
ive lived in Illinois just over a year now and aside from a 5 day visit in May ive not spoken to a Brit since i left.

I lived in NZ for almost 3 years but of course the Uk accents are readily understood out there. Of course here in the USA its a bit different. I quickly learned that to avoid confusion and blank looks ive had to alter the way i speak somewhat. I hate to do this but it just comes naturally anyway.

Im from lancashire and I have a broad accent for sure, ive had people look at me like i was from mars when i speak. Ive found that i have to 'prep' them with something like 'Hi, I wonder if you can help me?' something familiar rather than just jumping in with the conversation. I speak clearly and a bit more slowly and have to say 'there' instead of 'thur' in fact its kind of like a 'posh' lancs accent, never mind. If i went to a bar and said 'alright mate, can I av a pinta beer anda bag a 'chips' id get blank stares.

anybody else have to compromise their accents?

bugman.
Oh, I completely forgot the original question, mine is a mild Glaswegian accent. I have been asked if I am Australian and South African tons of times, only a couple have picked up on the Scottish accent as it is so mild.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 6:27 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

And on that note, how do they determine what constitutes a city out here, in my understanding there are a few parameters that must be met, one of which is that it must have a cathedral. Is that just an European thing??
It's only an English hangup that makes people think you can't be a city without a cathedral, and that if you are a small city, you're called a "cathedral city" (eg Wells).

In the vast majority of the US, you either live in an "incorporated city" or you don't -- you live in a county and state. While there are townships and villages up in New England, they tend to only exist there.

So, RP, do you speak RP?
Old Aug 19th 2006, 6:35 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Originally Posted by snowbunny

So, RP, do you speak RP?
What do you mean do I speak RP.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 6:40 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean do I speak RP.
"received pronunciation" = BBC English, private school/Oxbridge accent

I like the Weegie accent better though.

Speaking of accents, the spokesman for the Israeli department of defence, speaks with a very odd accent, with hints of New Zealand and Aussie peeking through at times.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 6:55 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Originally Posted by snowbunny
"received pronunciation" = BBC English, private school/Oxbridge accent

I like the Weegie accent better though.

Speaking of accents, the spokesman for the Israeli department of defence, speaks with a very odd accent, with hints of New Zealand and Aussie peeking through at times.
Do you ever remember the guy from the TV show "looking through the keyhole", I think his name was Lloyd Grossman or something similar, now he had a weird accent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.