Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How is your life in the US better than the UK?

How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Old Mar 22nd 2015, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
She didn't fail miserably. She was an overworked stressed out A&E doctor who had probably been puked on, bled on, and had been fighting to save seriously ill or injured patients for god knows how many hours.

If everyone spent a day behind the scenes at an emergency department they might think twice about sitting for 3 hours waiting to see a doctor for a non-emergency.

It is not all like an episode of Casualty...

We left in '89 and calling a GP after hours was still the done thing. There were also after hour Chemists that would be available if needed. This was in rural Suffolk/Essex border area.
I'm glad to hear that you are so stoic that you would have born the pain even though it made me cry. I was away from home and not able to contact the GP and I know for a fact that the chemist cannot dispense antibiotics without a doctor's prescription. Besides which my doctor at the time was so great that when I was suffering from clinical depression so bad I had to eventually resign from my job, told me to 'go on holiday and enjoy myself.' Obviously I ended up changing doctors eventually. That female doctor at Charing Cross had no excuse to be rude to me because of how others had treated her. I don't know about you but I do not take out my anger on innocent people especially those who rely on me. As others have said it could have been life-threatening anyway and I am not a doctor so I couldn't diagnose myself and I knew that whatever I had it was not normal nor something I had come across before.

I am done with this forum and it's judgemental members.

Done bother to reply I won't be reading it.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 4:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel

Old Mar 22nd 2015, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
I'm glad to hear that you are so stoic that you would have born the pain even though it made me cry. I was away from home and not able to contact the GP and I know for a fact that the chemist cannot dispense antibiotics without a doctor's prescription. Besides which my doctor at the time was so great that when I was suffering from clinical depression so bad I had to eventually resign from my job, told me to 'go on holiday and enjoy myself.' Obviously I ended up changing doctors eventually. That female doctor at Charing Cross had no excuse to be rude to me because of how others had treated her. I don't know about you but I do not take out my anger on innocent people especially those who rely on me. As others have said it could have been life-threatening anyway and I am not a doctor so I couldn't diagnose myself and I knew that whatever I had it was not normal nor something I had come across before.

SM wasn't being judgemental...but she has experience from the medical side which most of us have not.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
SM wasn't being judgemental...but she has experience from the medical side which most of us have not.
I won't reply to LS because she won't be reading it.

I don't doubt she was in pain and if her problem had been life threatening then the doctor wouldn't have sent her away with just an asprin. And if she had got Quinsey, which can be very dangerous if untreated, then she would have been a lot sicker than she described. High fever, stiff neck, nausea, closed up throat, headache. The symptoms are similar to meningitis.

If I offended her then so be it. I just think it is wrong to blame a hard working ER doctor for a bad attitude when you use an emergency facility for a non emergency.

Enough said
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

If I offended her then so be it. I just think it is wrong to blame a hard working ER doctor for a bad attitude when you use an emergency facility for a non emergency.
I don't know, there are lot of bastards in ERs in the UK too. There are a few Kildares or Nightingales, but there are a lot there only for the money too. And access to out of hours care was a pig, even before the new GP contract, and the introduction of walk-in centres.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
I don't know, there are lot of bastards in ERs in the UK too. There are a few Kildares or Nightingales, but there are a lot there only for the money too. And access to out of hours care was a pig, even before the new GP contract, and the introduction of walk-in centres.
Oh I know, I have worked for a few both sides of the pond. But I would say they were in the minority.

Maybe my outlook is different but I would have to have been on my last legs to have used an A&E back when we lived in the UK. Besides, sitting waiting that long you could end up with more bugs and diseases than you started with
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

'If I offended her then so be it.'
( Sugarmooma )

If you're a doctor then you should be used to dealing with situations non-confrontationally though. It's sad when misunderstandings get out of hand- life is hard enough without....unnecessary insult and confrontation...on a support website!

I went to my doctor office without an appointment with quinsy and fortunately he was sufficiently aware to realise I would not do that without a serious hunch something was wrong. The nurse sent me in between patients and he confirmed it was serious. It took just 5 minutes- hardly displaced his schedule.

I wasn't crying in pain or anything, just high fever, sore throat and the knowledge something serious was wrong. Actually I have a very high tolerance for pain, I would not rely on that to diagnose myself any more!

People have to trust their instincts, and I know there are people who abuse the system in any country but I would go to an ER if I felt it necessary.

And I would make a fuss to be seen too if I thought it was necessary.

Sometimes you have to.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward
( Sugarmooma )

If you're a doctor then you should be used to dealing with situations non-confrontationally though. It's sad when misunderstandings get out of hand- life is hard enough without....unnecessary insult and confrontation...on a support website!

I went to my doctor office without an appointment with quinsy and fortunately he was sufficiently aware to realise I would not do that without a serious hunch something was wrong. The nurse sent me in between patients and he confirmed it was serious. It took just 5 minutes- hardly displaced his schedule.

I wasn't crying in pain or anything, just high fever, sore throat and the knowledge something serious was wrong. Actually I have a very high tolerance for pain, I would not rely on that to diagnose myself any more!

People have to trust their instincts, and I know there are people who abuse the system in any country but I would go to an ER if I felt it necessary.

Sometimes you have to.

Mixing parts of the quoted post with your answers make it a very confusing read.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:22 am
Account Closed

( Sugarmooma )

Sometimes you have to.

Oh for heavens sake...where are the insults
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:26 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Well as long as you think it necessary what more reason do you need.

My DIL is a sister in the 3rd busiest ER back in England. It wouldn't be half as busy (at least) if it wasn't for the people who have neither an emergency or an accident who go there. But I guess they thought it necessary to be there.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:34 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Oh for heavens sake...where are the insults
There are some interesting ones here thou bawdy tickle-brained bum Bailey
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:36 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Oops, I should have said "for example" before "thou".
Shame on me
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:37 am
Account Closed

Thou warped toad spotted puttock
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:41 am

Thou warped toad spotted puttock
Look...you forgot the "for example" too
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:45 am
Account Closed

Look...you forgot the "for example" too
No..no, I don't think so..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.