Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How is your life in the US better than the UK?

How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Well, your view is rather mirroring of the European mindset. Anyone, richer or poorer is likely to be "questionable" in some way, just on that basis alone. And that is class division. It is socially heavily embedded here, as I illustrated earlier. And frankly, people will openly discuss it. It's not a secret.

I suspect you are somewhat unique, however, because we are close friends with quite a few Americans of many different economic classes, and it's quite obvious that they are far less mindful of those distinctions than our European equivalents.
No, you seem to have a major inability to understand what you are reading.

I'll leave you to it.

Except to say, you are wrong once again.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:10 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
And no, I didn't say he was probably a douche for being rich. He's probably just a douche because most people are, regardless of wealth.

You have a serious lack of comprehension that it's getting a little tiresome, bordering on a second rate troll :/
I suspect you just don't like what I'm saying. You openly admit you don't like people, so I'm probably not that far off the mark.

After all, this all started when, after seeing some very nice experiences and opinions expressed about people's experiences there, I expressed how refreshing it is to hear nice things about the US instead of the usual made-up bollocks that's been bantered about for the past decade or so.

It was supposed to be a compliment, but in the interest of contrary banter, apparently it's still chic to consider the US as the root of all things bad on the planet.

OK, as you wish. But I still envy you in many ways. It could be a lot worse.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Just because "obviously American" products do not appear in European shops doesn't mean that America is not selling goods in Europe. The US is a major supplier of agricultural products, including "hard" wheat necessary for baking bread, as well as corn and rice. American companies are major suppliers of chemicals, including paints, pigments, plastics, and synthetic textiles, all of which end up in consumer products.

That said, I suspect that much of the discrepancy you note in availability of consumer products, relates to the fact that there are more Americans with more disposable income than there are Europeans with significant disposable income. So American businesses can make good profits in the US market that they would find hard to replicate by entering the European market, whereas European companies are able to "muscle in" on the buoyant US market. Logistically, American businesses face promoting products in a "single market" in Europe which has probably 20 different languages and remarkably diverse and entrenched cultures, which is markedly different from marketing in the US to a relatively homogenous English-speaking population.
I just went shopping and bought cranberry juice very cheap in Ireland. Cranberries were from the US. I also bought a pair of trainers from an american company, but they were made in China. Then again I've just seen that some parts of my car came from the US too, but amideislas doesn't want to see that.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:27 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Again, that's a bit ad-hominem, because you dismiss the entire premise on the basis of his correction of intent.

But the premise is still valid, even if he truly doesn't despise people of another class (although if that's true, why would he mention it in that context?).
At the risk of coming across as ad hominem myself, I think you're being a wee bit precious about the perceived 'dismissals'.

You already stated you don't live in the US, yet a few people who do live here have demonstrated that there is indeed a class system of sorts in the US, it's just implemented in a different way to the European norms.

I have seen it too, it's just often a bit more subtle out here than it is in, say the UK.

I... it's still chic to consider the US as the root of all things bad on the planet.
I disagree. Some people do, but the US forum on here, at least, is reasonably balanced, even when you consider the people who don't like it here.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:40 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

How can anyone describe the US as a classless society?

People of Wal-Mart
Trailer Trash
Rednecks
Wrong side of the tracks

Are these not the terms of a class-conscious society?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
How can anyone describe the US as a classless society?

People of Wal-Mart
Trailer Trash
Rednecks
Wrong side of the tracks

Are these not the terms of a class-conscious society?
People of WalMart sort of describes a society of classless people ...
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:42 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
At the risk of coming across as ad hominem myself, I think you're being a wee bit precious about the perceived 'dismissals'.

You already stated you don't live in the US, yet a few people who do live here have demonstrated that there is indeed a class system of sorts in the US, it's just implemented in a different way to the European norms.

I have seen it too, it's just often a bit more subtle out here than it is in, say the UK.

I disagree. Some people do, but the US forum on here, at least, is reasonably balanced, even when you consider the people who don't like it here.
Last point:

I never said there wasn't a class system in the US, only that I find it refreshing that it's not nearly as clearly defined as it is here. Economic class isn't the first thing on people's minds there. Social circles are much broader and open. By comparison. I find that refreshing.

As far as dismissals, well, what then, was this debate about? I saw it as "you're wrong no matter what". But in my neighbourhood (whether here or Germany, or wherever) it's not in dispute by anyone. People argue whether it's fair or reasonable or stupid or whatever, but not whether it exists.

Anyway.. move on. It's not worth it.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:48 pm
I have a comma problem

Last point:

I never said there wasn't a class system in the US, only that I find it refreshing that it's not nearly as clearly defined as it is here. Economic class isn't the first thing on people's minds there. Social circles are much broader and open. By comparison. I find that refreshing.

As far as dismissals, well, what then, was this debate about? I saw it as "you're wrong no matter what". But in my neighbourhood (whether here or Germany, or wherever) it's not in dispute by anyone. People argue whether it's fair or reasonable or stupid or whatever, but not whether it exists.

It really depends on where you go here though. There is a serious amount of 'keeping up with the Jonses' that goes on here and a person's net worth is quite often seen as a big deal by many. Social circles are often seen as something that is a matter of convenience, rather than genuine friendship.

I think where your position comes into play is the fact that the US is big a varied enough that it is easier to find a situation where this doesn't apply than it may be in the UK or Europe.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Last point:

Well thanks for giving us the benefit of your experience of US life.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1 View Post
OMG, hell yeah. The Americans would like the world to think there is no class system and that everyone is equal, but certainly in my neck of the woods, there is an air of entitlement with some. Of course, they are nearly always the well off. It's an air of entitlement I never encountered in the UK (although I'm sure it exists). If that isnt a class divide, I don't know what is.
Indeed. People who think there is no class system in the US need to explain why, for example, legacy preferences for college admissions still exist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_preferences
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 7:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect you just don't like what I'm saying. You openly admit you don't like people, so I'm probably not that far off the mark.

After all, this all started when, after seeing some very nice experiences and opinions expressed about people's experiences there, I expressed how refreshing it is to hear nice things about the US instead of the usual made-up bollocks that's been bantered about for the past decade or so.

It was supposed to be a compliment, but in the interest of contrary banter, apparently it's still chic to consider the US as the root of all things bad on the planet.

OK, as you wish. But I still envy you in many ways. It could be a lot worse.

Cheers.
Just a suggestion....but when you're talking BS and you're called on it, you should perhaps just stop digging.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 8:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Well thanks for giving us the benefit of your experience of US life.
Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Indeed. People who think there is no class system in the US need to explain why, for example, legacy preferences for college admissions still exist:

Legacy preferences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I most certainly never suggested any of the above. Those may be what you chose to interpret, but I never said any of that. If you're going to accuse me of something, at least use something I actually said.

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Just a suggestion....but when you're talking BS and you're called on it, you should perhaps just stop digging.
You're entitled to your opinion, but what bs? Show me where I spouted any bs? If I said the name of this forum is "British expats", would that also qualify as bs?

Jeezus.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Getting back to - how is your life better than in the UK- I am not sure it is but I am happy enough over here as my husband has a good job and good health insurance. He had a good job in Scotland, plus a car allowance, 6 wks leave plus paid sick days. Now he has no car allowance and although he has a good leave allowance that includes sick days plus its accrued over the year.Not so good is the constant worry that he could be laid off when the economy is bad, especially as he is getting to that magic age of near 60. Happen to his boss and his boss's boss just last week. No warning, out of the door by the end of the day. At least in the UK, you would have a decent amount of time to absorb the situation and get your sh## in order and you wouldn't have worry about no health insurance. Used cobra when my daughter was in between college and jobs, $600 a month!

I have never been able to find a decent job over here so my experience of working over here has not be stellar. Retail was the only thing I found and part-time. Longest job was as a homeworker, working remotely so never had that same worker experience. However, as I didn't work in Scotland, I might well have found myself in the same situation. I have never been able to find a set of friends over here as my kids were too old to go on 'play dates' which is the way I found friends in Scotland when we moved there. I volunteered for a few years but as volunteers are often irregular and working, never managed to make friends there either. I will admit a few years ago I would not have been so happy but now I have just got use to life as it is.

So life has been good to us on the whole apart from the usual/unusual family dramas of teenage hood. I am not sure life is that great for my kids over here though.

2 have been to college and completed their degrees, both are earning considerable less than their compatriots in the UK (Scottish mainly) and they definitely have less vacation time than their friends. Youngest daughter is now working full time at Wells Fargo and going to night classes to get her accountancy qualifications. Maybe by the time she is 30, she might be on a par with friends in the UK. A friend of ours, daughter is training to be physical therapist. By the time she gets her doctorate, she will have more than $100,000 in loans, just to cover her fees and will be nearly 30 when she is finished. Similarly my youngest daughter has a friend who is training to be nurse. She already had a science degree but still she needed requisites before she could start her 2 yr nursing degree which required an additional 18 months of study. In Britain, both of them would be practising in their professions by now as you do the degree in the area you will be working in.

Eldest daughter has had a child over here and got the less than stellar 6 wks maternity paid leave. She was lucky to get that as employers are not required to give paid leave. She had a very difficult birthing experience, having nearly lost her life and was still on blood thinners when she returned to work. She had no choice but to return to work otherwise she wouldn't have got paid and they obviously needed the money when they had a newborn baby. Fortunately, husband was working from home so no need for childcare. She left that job shortly afterwards so she could spend more time with her child which was well worth it as the bond they have is amazing. Obviously that was her choice and she saved up so she could spend the first 9 months with my grand-daughter. Their budget was tight and only manageable because they moved to NM for the period (much less expense) However, when she returned to work market, it took her a good few months to get a comparable job and then at a lower salary. Only now Juniper is 2.5yrs old, is she back to the place she was before she got pregnant. In comparison, several of her friends have had children and taken the full one year off before returning to their work or they split their maternity leave with their partners as most employers over in the UK now offer paternity leave. One even moved to Canada with her job, getting pregnant almost straight away and she still got the full maternity leave. She had her 2nd child just last year, with another 9 months off with 3 months for her husband.

None of my kids owe any property yet but the majority of their friends do.

They are aware life can be tough over there as they also have friends who have not been as successful but they also see that they don't have to worry about healthcare or childcare.

Both my girls are now considering moving back to the UK or somewhere in Europe as they see their friends having a much better life than they have here. Of course, the eldest will now have to contend with the stricter immigration rules for spouses in the UK so she might be stymied in that regard.

Of course this is all a generalisation based on our experience and not to say life isn't good over here, just different. After saying all that, we definitely here for the long haul unless that changes drastically (like both daughters move to the UK/Europe)as this is where our life and family is.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 9:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Last point:

Economic class isn't the first thing on people's minds there. Social circles are much broader and open.

Show me where I spouted any bs? I
With respect to your second quote above, with pleasure. Your first quote is unadulterated, grade one b.s.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
With respect to your second quote above, with pleasure. Your first quote is unadulterated, grade one b.s.
So, your first concern when meeting other people is what economic class they belong to? You judge them on the basis of their clothing, car, watch, etc. This is how you assess their character?

We visit friends in the US at least once per year. Not just one set of friends in one place, but very different people of different economic status, in different states, and sorry, but I have never experienced that character in the US, and I have never met an American who exhibits it. I've seen it in Hollywood movies, but I just haven't seen it in real life so far.

Interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.