Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to Watch Decent UK TV live?

Wikiposts

How to Watch Decent UK TV live?

Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Watch Decent UK TV live?

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy

Which VPN service are you using that costs $60/year ? Does it have download limits ?
Most are like for like and around the $5-8 a month mark...and unless it's a free service, there shouldn't be a bandwidth limit.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:38 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fatbrit

I'm getting closer to Emigration now ... 30 days and counting.

Which VPN service are you using that costs $60/year ? Does it have download limits ?

Cheers
Addy
Blackvpn, no limits, service is fine.

Only thing I'd say about any of them is don't expect any of them to be around tomorrow. I wouldn't pay 3 years in advance, for example. But 3 months is okay.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:29 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I just switched to Overplay as it has multiple countries available, such as the UK, US, Ireland, Australia, and a slew of other European places where they don't speak proper. They even have a tiny program that makes it pretty easy to switch.

I was using my-private-network which worked ok from the US but was having problems here in Hong Kong. But generally I can now stream without any buffering incidents using Overplay.

Would also recommend not paying in advance. The cat and mouse game against VPNs is ongoing and who knows what the future holds.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I just switched to Overplay as it has multiple countries available, such as the UK, US, Ireland, Australia, and a slew of other European places where they don't speak proper. They even have a tiny program that makes it pretty easy to switch.

I was using my-private-network which worked ok from the US but was having problems here in Hong Kong. But generally I can now stream without any buffering incidents using Overplay.

Would also recommend not paying in advance. The cat and mouse game against VPNs is ongoing and who knows what the future holds.
Thanks for the tips guys. I've just found this site;

http://myvpnreviews.com/

which has loads of consumer reviews including for Overplay and Black VPN.

I'm tempted to buy a Boxee box + Overplay with its Boxee plugins
Old Aug 25th 2010, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

ldobson will become famous soon enough

There are definately multiple solutions, however everyone who is depending on 'VPN Services" needs to know that most of the online content providers are starting to move to 720p HD video, and in many cases you will start to see much more buffering, possibly to the point to where it is annoying or impossible to keep a continous stream established. Also ensure the VPN provider you are using is not using a encrypted tunnel, as that will add much more overhead.

For BBC iPlayer, you should use the "low bandwidth" version (see link at bottom of the screen) as the normal feed is now 720p.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Downloaded thefreevpn software last night. Connected and was able to watch EastEnders on BBCiplayer. Tried it again tonight, VPN connected and up appeared the message from BBCiplayer saying I was abroad. Can't understand why the freevpn isn't working - have tried disconnecting twice and re-doing it - does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on???
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Little late to this one. I use Strongvpn, which is highly rated on the site quoted. It costs me $55 per year which gives me access to multiple VPN servers at various locations in the UK.
For watching TV back in the UK, I use a PC running Windows 7 Media Center and the TunerFree MCE plugin (http://www.milliesoft.co.uk). The PC is hooked up to a 50" Panasonic plasma TV. It all works quite nicely.