Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to NYC!

Moving to NYC!

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

debster999 is just really nicedebster999 is just really nicedebster999 is just really nicedebster999 is just really nicedebster999 is just really nicedebster999 is just really nicedebster999 is just really nicedebster999 is just really nice
Default Moving to NYC!

Hi,
I'm a single woman in my mid 30's and have just agreed to move to NYC on an ex-pat assignment. I am keen to live in Manhattan and would love some advice on where to and where not to live as a single lady. Any other tips gratefully received!
Thanks
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to NYC!

Originally Posted by debster999
Hi,
I'm a single woman in my mid 30's and have just agreed to move to NYC on an ex-pat assignment. I am keen to live in Manhattan and would love some advice on where to and where not to live as a single lady. Any other tips gratefully received!
Thanks
Hello there and welcome to the site.

We have quite a few members who live in NYC...so I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful hints about life in the Big Apple. I live about 30 miles west of the city.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:53 am
Just Joined

MattHague is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the Big City!

Most of Manhattan is very safe, I wouldn't go any higher than 116th st to be safe (and not in Barrio which is around 3rd Ave) Not that I find any of particularly scary but I wouldn't recommend it for a single girl.

North of 116 is Harlem, which is changing and has good and bad spots - around Columbia is pretty safe, though it can change street to street.

Where you pick depends on the following:

Budget
Commute
Preference of area - Manhattan is sliced up noticeably with different neighborhoods that have their own personalities. Upper West and Upper East (either side of Central Park) being generally hoitey toitey, Soho and the Village being cool and rather gay..

You can consider Brooklyn also, the commute from the right places is short, you get more for your money and it is up and coming - consider Fort Green and Clinton Hill, Williamsburg etc) they are 'hipster' lots of local focus in bars and restaurants, artisanal, organic stuff if that is your fancy.

Would recommend you pop over for a visit before you decide on an area - you can bounce around the city on the subway in a couple of days and get a proper feel for the place.

Prices are bit cheaper than when I moved here, and you can negotiate a lot more too - expect to be able to find a months free rent in some places to get you in.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Debster, Sometimes it's a bit quiet on here over the weekends, but I'm sure you will be getting lots of helpful info from our NYer's anytime soon
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in NYC..have been here for just over 2 years. let me see if I can track down an email I wrote for someone a while back.. I'll pm you.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I live in NYC..have been here for just over 2 years. let me see if I can track down an email I wrote for someone a while back.. I'll pm you.
The OP can't use the PMing system until she's made 3 posts. Perhaps you could cut and paste it in a post...others may find it useful.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 1:31 am
Just Joined

blondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really nice

Originally Posted by debster999
Hi,
Thanks
Hi....do NOT go anywhere above like 100th street (that area turns into Spanish Harlem and then Harlem which is rather crime ridden(...(am an American nurse living in NJ with two neices who live in NYC)...you did not mention your age...would be glad to give you pointers based on where you will be living, your age, and where you will work as well as what you are looking for in your leisure time....ann
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

If you are white / Anglo you may feel a bit out of place in Spanish Harlem / Harlem but I don't think it's particularly unsafe. But I'm a guy and everyone has their own opinion.

On the upper east side, Spanish Harlem / El Barrio starts at around 98th and stretches up to 125th. West of Madison remains fairly gentrified up to 110th (top of Central Park) . On the west side, the area west of Morningside Park (Colombia Uni) is quite safe up to at least 116th.

The far east of the LES / E Village can also be a bit dodgy sometimes.

If you enjoy bars and clubs, it's the E and W Village for you. If you like art and culture, try the UES and UWS. There are also some cheap-ish apartments in the Financial district. In the more desirable areas, you won't get much change from $1500 for a studio / 1 bedroom.

Location near a subway, ideally an express stop, is a big plus.

And yes, tons of Brits around. Some are a bit stuck up, but most are pretty down to earth. There's a big group on Meetup.com.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:27 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I just moved to NYC (East Village / East of avenue A) in April this year. I never feel unsafe where I am.

One thing I will say is that renting an apartment with no credit history is not the easiest. I did not get the first one I went for, and ended up taking one for 3 months (all prepaid, plus 2 months deposit) to get in with no guarantor. I had a letter from my employer, but they like to have an individual. I have since extended the contract to 12 months. I had no problems with utilities, I got gas, electricity, cable and internet connected with no deposit required.

My choice of location was mainly to allow me to walk to work, and the East village is not the best for proximity to the subway.

tht
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tht
I just moved to NYC (East Village / East of avenue A) in April this year. I never feel unsafe where I am.
No, it's safe round there and very cool. I lived on B for 16 months.

I was on about the projects east of D south of 14th and Houston, and the streets that adjoin them. Saying that, I never had any problems.

Originally Posted by tht
One thing I will say is that renting an apartment with no credit history is not the easiest. I did not get the first one I went for, and ended up taking one for 3 months (all prepaid, plus 2 months deposit) to get in with no guarantor. I had a letter from my employer, but they like to have an individual. I have since extended the contract to 12 months. I had no problems with utilities, I got gas, electricity, cable and internet connected with no deposit required.
Agreed. But there are plenty of people who want out of their leases, and advertise on Craigs List for someone to take them over. It is gettting easier to get approved now, due to the recession.

I'm waiting on an approval from a condo board at the moment and have NO credit history, good or bad, despite 3 years in the USA.