Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How stupid am I ? Advice?

How stupid am I ? Advice?

Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How stupid am I ? Advice?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Can't be bothered to go and look at Arkansas law, but in most states there are a number of defences against this: reasonable suspicion or probable cause required, suitable notification of your rights, voluntary and knowing refusal, etc.

He needs an experienced and competent DUI lawyer.
Of course. I posted to show those suggesting that he try and get a reading from a blood sample, that it is irrelevant.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The dumb thing to do was the refusal. Unfortunately the consequences of a refusal can be more severe than a DWI. For a DWI, the judge can possibly be lenient on a first offense allowing you to drive to work while your license is suspended, reduce the time of suspension, and reduce the fine but judges and/or jurors don't seem to take kindly to a refusal and usually assume guilt.

Also I suspect both are considered much the same when it comes to the insurance companies.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:26 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
The dumb thing to do was the refusal. Unfortunately the consequences of a refusal can be more severe than a DWI. For a DWI, the judge can possibly be lenient on a first offense allowing you to drive to work while your license is suspended, reduce the time of suspension, and reduce the fine but judges and/or jurors don't seem to take kindly to a refusal and usually assume guilt.

Also I suspect both are considered much the same when it comes to the insurance companies.
Correct. Even if he tested just over the legal limit, he could fight it and have the device tested for correct calibration. Many of them are not calibrated frequently enough to have an exact reading. Nevada being the DUI capital (in my opinion), that has been the most effective defensive for so many because so many of the breathalyzers has been found to be faulty or not serviced enough to test for accuracy. Not only that, many officers have been found to not have justifiable cause to stop the driver in the first place. It is a common known fact that police will embellish the facts to make something stick. So many lawyers I know have spoken of this and are amused at my disgust. They claim the judges know it too so what us mere peons do not understand is that this is a game of catch. Funnily enough, there have been a lot of officers in my neck of the woods getting caught for driving under the influence, and that is not only alcohol. Suckers need some jail time for that one, especially since they use that badge on the community.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Chugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kimilseung
On the issue of why he went to hospital and can you be forced to go....
The OP has not informed us much about how he was talked/coerced in to going.

I believe you can be forced to go, if it is deemed that you are in danger of self harm or incapacitated and unable to make a good decision for yourself; e.g. if you are mentally challenged or if you sustained a head injury. I think being drunk or assumed to be drunk would fall under this.
Suspected broken leg as I couldn't put weight on it for a while. Turned out not to be and the doc let me walk out.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Chugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lansbury
The Implied Consent Law in Arkansas

The implied consent law in Arkansas states that any person who operates a motor vehicle, by default, gives their consent to a blood, urine or breath test to determine if they are under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance.
If you refuse to submit a chemical test of blood, breath or urine your license will automatically be suspended for 180 days on your first offense. You will also be denied the possibility of receiving an Ignition Interlock restricted license.

Seems just the mere refusal is a separate offense, as in the UK, and regardless of any test to prove you were not over the limit you still commit an offense.
So my attorney informs me that I have been granted a restricted license with the use of an interlock device. Not inexpensive but at least I can get from A-B.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 4:29 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chugabug
So my attorney informs me that I have been granted a restricted license with the use of an interlock device. Not inexpensive but at least I can get from A-B.
Well it's good to see the courts down there use discretion and don't have a one punishments fits all policy.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 5:25 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's good to see the courts down there use discretion and don't have a one punishments fits all policy.
That flies in the face of your avatar-hero, doesn't it?
Old Oct 20th 2011, 6:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just one thought, if the OP isn't a USC, how might this get in the way of US immigration matters?

Presuming the not taking a breath test isn't a DUI offense, but something else and all that.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, very true. I think it was down to the fact I had no other offenses in the last 12 years.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Just one thought, if the OP isn't a USC, how might this get in the way of US immigration matters?

Presuming the not taking a breath test isn't a DUI offense, but something else and all that.
Good thought, but thankfully completed all that last year.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Good thought, but thankfully completed all that last year.
Phew....that's a relief then

What are the helmet laws in your state, and do you always wear one? Just interested..
Old Oct 20th 2011, 8:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

why is everybody making excuses ... he was a drunk driver with the bullshit of just two officer ... I would ban you from driving and give you 5 years
then deport you
Old Oct 20th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Phew....that's a relief then

What are the helmet laws in your state, and do you always wear one? Just interested..
No helmet law, but always wear one.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
why is everybody making excuses ... he was a drunk driver with the bullshit of just two officer ... I would ban you from driving and give you 5 years
then deport you
I smell of elderberries too and should be hung for that.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:57 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
then deport you
I smell of elderberries too and should be hung for that.
Don't make the mistake of thinking Ray was joking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.