British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How to renew emergency US passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-renew-emergency-us-passport-905027/)

Sleepy1 Oct 24th 2017 6:58 pm

How to renew emergency US passport
 
Was in England for the last 2 weeks visiting my sick mother. It was an emergency so traveled to England on my UK passport as didn't have a US one yet.

Went to London and was given a US emergency passport for one year to travel back to the US.

Was told to apply for a full US passport once home but I don't know which form to use, does anyone know? not sure at all.

Thank you in advance.

Rete Oct 24th 2017 7:02 pm

Re: How to renew emergency US passport
 
I can see your dilemma. Does the US government consider an emergency document issued by the US Consulate to be a first time passport or just a travel document.

From the horse's mouth ... here you go


https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...-validity.html

Why is your passport limited?
When was it issued?
How you replace it
Your limited passport was
issued outside the United States
in an emergency.
Less than one year ago
Submit the following by mail (if in the United States) or in person at an embassy/consulate (if abroad):
• Form DS-5504 or Form DS-11 (refer to your letter)
• Your limited passport
• One color passport photo
Please Note: You will not have to pay any fees if you paid the fees when you applied for your limited passport (unless you request Expedited Service).

Sleepy1 Oct 24th 2017 7:16 pm

Re: How to renew emergency US passport
 

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12367747)
I can see your dilemma. Does the US government consider an emergency document issued by the US Consulate to be a first time passport or just a travel document.

From the horse's mouth ... here you go


https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...-validity.html

Why is your passport limited?
When was it issued?
How you replace it
Your limited passport was
issued outside the United States
in an emergency.
Less than one year ago
Submit the following by mail (if in the United States) or in person at an embassy/consulate (if abroad):
• Form DS-5504 or Form DS-11 (refer to your letter)
• Your limited passport
• One color passport photo
Please Note: You will not have to pay any fees if you paid the fees when you applied for your limited passport (unless you request Expedited Service).

Hi Rete and thank you.

Not sure which form to use as I was given no letter just a piece of paper telling me to renew the emergency passport once home.

Rete Oct 24th 2017 7:26 pm

Re: How to renew emergency US passport
 

Originally Posted by Sleepy1 (Post 12367758)
Hi Rete and thank you.

Not sure which form to use as I was given no letter just a piece of paper telling me to renew the emergency passport once home.

Since you have never had a regularly issued US Passport before I would simple complete both forms, and then take them and your photo and emergency passport along to the US Post Office and let them decide which is the one you would be using. Are you are naturalized US Citizen or a dual citizen by birth? If naturalized bring the naturalization certificate along with you as well and if you are a dual citizen by birth, bring your birth certificate. Cover all bases :thumbsup:

Did you by chance go the site I gave the URL for? It has other information there might be helpful.

Rete Oct 24th 2017 7:34 pm

Re: How to renew emergency US passport
 
This is the heading of Form 5540

APPLICATION FOR A U.S. PASSPORT
CORRECTIONS, NAME CHANGE WITHIN 1 YEAR OF PASSPORT ISSUANCE, AND LIMITED PASSPORT HOLDERS

Since you are a limited passport holder .... guess this is your form.

DS-11 is for those who have had previous US passports.

Sleepy1 Oct 24th 2017 10:55 pm

Re: How to renew emergency US passport
 

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12367772)
This is the heading of Form 5540

APPLICATION FOR A U.S. PASSPORT
CORRECTIONS, NAME CHANGE WITHIN 1 YEAR OF PASSPORT ISSUANCE, AND LIMITED PASSPORT HOLDERS

Since you are a limited passport holder .... guess this is your form.

DS-11 is for those who have had previous US passports.

Yes, form 5540 is the one, if I'd have opened my weary eyeballs wider I would have seen it lol thanks Rete :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:38 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.