Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to renew emergency US passport

How to renew emergency US passport

Old Oct 24th 2017, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Sleepy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to renew emergency US passport

Was in England for the last 2 weeks visiting my sick mother. It was an emergency so traveled to England on my UK passport as didn't have a US one yet.

Went to London and was given a US emergency passport for one year to travel back to the US.

Was told to apply for a full US passport once home but I don't know which form to use, does anyone know? not sure at all.

Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to renew emergency US passport

I can see your dilemma. Does the US government consider an emergency document issued by the US Consulate to be a first time passport or just a travel document.

From the horse's mouth ... here you go

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...-validity.html

Why is your passport limited?
When was it issued?
How you replace it
Your limited passport was
issued outside the United States
in an emergency.
Less than one year ago
Submit the following by mail (if in the United States) or in person at an embassy/consulate (if abroad):
• Form DS-5504 or Form DS-11 (refer to your letter)
• Your limited passport
• One color passport photo
Please Note: You will not have to pay any fees if you paid the fees when you applied for your limited passport (unless you request Expedited Service).

Last edited by Rete; Oct 24th 2017 at 7:10 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
I can see your dilemma. Does the US government consider an emergency document issued by the US Consulate to be a first time passport or just a travel document.

From the horse's mouth ... here you go

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...-validity.html

Why is your passport limited?
When was it issued?
How you replace it
Your limited passport was
issued outside the United States
in an emergency.
Less than one year ago
Submit the following by mail (if in the United States) or in person at an embassy/consulate (if abroad):
• Form DS-5504 or Form DS-11 (refer to your letter)
• Your limited passport
• One color passport photo
Please Note: You will not have to pay any fees if you paid the fees when you applied for your limited passport (unless you request Expedited Service).
Hi Rete and thank you.

Not sure which form to use as I was given no letter just a piece of paper telling me to renew the emergency passport once home.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleepy1
Hi Rete and thank you.

Not sure which form to use as I was given no letter just a piece of paper telling me to renew the emergency passport once home.
Since you have never had a regularly issued US Passport before I would simple complete both forms, and then take them and your photo and emergency passport along to the US Post Office and let them decide which is the one you would be using. Are you are naturalized US Citizen or a dual citizen by birth? If naturalized bring the naturalization certificate along with you as well and if you are a dual citizen by birth, bring your birth certificate. Cover all bases

Did you by chance go the site I gave the URL for? It has other information there might be helpful.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:34 pm
Concierge

This is the heading of Form 5540

APPLICATION FOR A U.S. PASSPORT
CORRECTIONS, NAME CHANGE WITHIN 1 YEAR OF PASSPORT ISSUANCE, AND LIMITED PASSPORT HOLDERS

Since you are a limited passport holder .... guess this is your form.

DS-11 is for those who have had previous US passports.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
This is the heading of Form 5540

APPLICATION FOR A U.S. PASSPORT
CORRECTIONS, NAME CHANGE WITHIN 1 YEAR OF PASSPORT ISSUANCE, AND LIMITED PASSPORT HOLDERS

Since you are a limited passport holder .... guess this is your form.

DS-11 is for those who have had previous US passports.
Yes, form 5540 is the one, if I'd have opened my weary eyeballs wider I would have seen it lol thanks Rete