Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to prove child US citizenship?

How to prove child US citizenship?

Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to prove child US citizenship?

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
The vicious cycle is so funny... just like when I first got here as a PR... couldn't get a driver's license without an SSN, couldn't get an SSN without a driver's license...
Except that you don't need a drivers license to get an SSN. Most newly arrived permanent residents use their foreign passport + immigrant visa to get an SSN.

And here I thought I was done when I had that natz certificate in my hands. LOL!
It's not really "done" until all children in family have their own certificates + SSN records updated.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Except that you don't need a drivers license to get an SSN. Most newly arrived permanent residents use their foreign passport + immigrant visa to get an SSN.
I knew that, but tell that to the people at the office.... oh wait, I had to... ROFL Oy vey.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

And here I thought I was done when I had that natz certificate in my hands. LOL!
You have a Certificate of Naturalization so YOU are done. It's your kids that now have to prove that US citizenship was acquired/derived through you. That's a different issue. Once they get Certificates of Citizenship, they'll be done too.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 25th 2013 at 3:44 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Well actually kidlet did not derive citizenship through me, but through the USC father whom adopted kidlet. So the moment we arrived back in 2005 as CPRs, according to the CCAo2000 kidlet became a USC (although like I said we did not have that information at that time).
Old Mar 27th 2013, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Well actually kidlet did not derive citizenship through me, but through the USC father whom adopted kidlet. So the moment we arrived back in 2005 as CPRs, according to the CCAo2000 kidlet became a USC (although like I said we did not have that information at that time).
Ok but that only highlights the fact that the kid is going to need a Certificate of Citizenship (CoC) to avoid problems in the future.

For non-complicated cases such as a minor deriving US citizenship through a parent naturalizing, you can get away without the CoC if you have the supporting documentation. Your case seems more complicated and I think a N600 application for CoC is advisable.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 27th 2013 at 8:16 pm.