Pictures

Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pictures

So I have about 10 pictures/paintings (some prints, some originals) that are near and dear to me. Been with me a long time and I do not want to part with them. Not much else other than that. I travel fairly light!

I am struggling with whether to 'deframe' them and roll them up for transport and then reframe them at the other end. Or whether to ship them as is?

Not sure which is the best/cheaper option. One bonus would be in reframing they would get a new life which is a good thing. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default Re: Pictures

For me it would depend on the cost of shipping versus potential damage by rolling them up. If the cost is not too extortionate then I'd plump for shipping them.

Alternatively, how big are the pictures and would you be able to wrap them in bubble wrap and carry as hand luggage?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
So I have about 10 pictures/paintings (some prints, some originals) that are near and dear to me. Been with me a long time and I do not want to part with them. Not much else other than that. I travel fairly light!

I am struggling with whether to 'deframe' them and roll them up for transport and then reframe them at the other end. Or whether to ship them as is?

Not sure which is the best/cheaper option. One bonus would be in reframing they would get a new life which is a good thing. Any thoughts?
Shippers should have special boxes made for pictures that allow some air space on top of the glass before the next layer of packing comes down. It is supposed to be extra prevention against glass breakage and resultant damage to the picture. If the shippers do not have these special boxes, then take off the frame, remove the glass, and ship the pictures separately from the glass or frame.

This was the shipper's recommendation to us last year when we shipped paintings from one side of the USA to the other.

PS: Just remembered . . . when I moved to the USA 30 years ago, we brought some pictures with us - only a few - but the glass got broken on about half of them. Back then, though, we didn't have these special boxes.

Last edited by windsong; Mar 27th 2013 at 11:16 am.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:00 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail

We shipped all of our near and dear pieces with the rest of our stuff. We had a couple of larger pieces and special boxes were made for them. The smaller pieces were all wrapped and shipped without any damage. Not sure what the cost of shipping vs reframing would be. Not long for you now. Best of luck.