Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to pay at the Embassy in London?

How to pay at the Embassy in London?

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 12:19 pm
U.K/U.S.A.

Joanne Knight will become famous soon enoughJoanne Knight will become famous soon enough
Default How to pay at the Embassy in London?

I have just read about the ways of paying at the Embassy in London. It said by Credit Card, cash or a money order. What kind of money order, could anyone give me some kind of idea what it is like and where you would get it from, please?

Thanks in advance,

Joanne.
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: How to pay at the Embassy in London?

3. What is an International Money Order?
An international money order is a financial instrument, issued by a bank or other institution, allowing the person named on the international money order to receive cash on demand.
Unlike personal checks, international money orders are universally accepted on purchases. International money orders are an extremely popular method of payment worldwide, especially when the funds must be guaranteed. Every year, over a billion money orders are purchased.

International money orders give the buyer and seller complete confidence and security;

The seller never has to worry about a check bouncing.
By purchasing a money order, the buyer gives the seller complete confidence in the sale.

By the way the fee is $335. On my packet 4 instructions a couple of weeks ago, in one paragraph it said $325 and in one below it said $335.
I checked the Helpline and they said $325....WRONG.
Apparently they have now been informed of the increase (from the 1st June)
Also, you can't pay in "assorted currencies" ie half in £'s and the other half in $'s.
It has to be all one currency

Hope this helps

Good luck, it sounds like your interview is imminent.

Roger (+ Ida)
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really nice

Doesn't the fee depend on the type of visa, though? I didn't see that she specified fiance versus spouse--for fiance visas the fee is less, if the embassy's website is to be believed...
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Sorry, my mistake, I thought I'd read somewhere in one of her
earlier posts that it was a spousal visa.
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 3:21 pm
U.K/U.S.A.

Joanne Knight will become famous soon enoughJoanne Knight will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the very helpful replies to my query

I live in the UK and my fiance is in the U.S., we are currently having the paperwork filed in Texas for him. I just wanted to get some things understood before the interview times arises.

So, it will be payment for me, UK citizen for the Fiance Visa, I think it is the K1? At the Embassy.

Thanks

Joanne.
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 3:27 pm
U.K/U.S.A.

Ooooops! Sorry was meant to ask, where could I buy an International Money Order, please, if anyone knows?

Thanks

Joanne.
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi,
I've posted it above, you can get one from a bank, but you will
need to order it, it's similar to a bankers cheque.
I wouldn't do it until nearer the time, if you are going to do it in sterling, as the currencies fluctuate.
A money order in dollars would be the easiest, at least you know you have the correct amount..

And yes, apologies, the fiance visa is less than the spousal visa,
so there you go, you have more money to spend than you thought )

Good luck.
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 3:36 pm
U.K/U.S.A.

Thank you very much for your very helpful reply and information

Best wishes,

Joanne.
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 11:20 pm
Jacque Robertso

When you get packet 4 from the embassy with an interview date, there is a bank giro
slip attached which you can take to any branch of Barclays (or any other bank but
they might charge you) and pay there. There is already two spaces for the cashier to
stamp as proof that you have paid. You take the form that the giro slip was attached
to, with the two cashiers stamps to your interview to proved you have paid. The
embassy keep one stamp, and you keep the other. The fee is £46.00 for the K1 visa. In
addition, there is £125.00 that you pay for the medical, paid at the doctors surgery
itself. I had my interview last Monday, and unfortunately forgot my cashiers stamps,
but I was allowed to pay again at the cashier's office they have inside the embassy
itself. I think they like to have the money side paid upfront so they can get through
your paperwork asap. When you get to the interview, you will see just how many people
pass through those doors to get visas. Hope this helps Jacqueline

Old Jul 24th 2002, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Not that it is really relevant, but I didn't have the giro slip in my
Packet 4.
Although it may be relevant to others that follow, to check when they get Pkt 4.
At least then they will have plenty of time to make their decision
on how to pay.

Good luck