Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How often do you go back to Britain?

How often do you go back to Britain?

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:21 pm
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

Been back once in 9 years and that was on my own.

Didn't tell anyone in Canada that I was leaving for England, not even the wife and kids.

It's not like I was a complete b***ard who deserted eveyone.....it's just a long story.

Anyway, it's 5 or 6 years since I went so I would like to go again soon.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by indybrit
Been back once in 9 years and that was on my own.

Didn't tell anyone in Canada that I was leaving for England, not even the wife and kids.

So, they didn't miss you or what? How can you leave and not tell anyone?
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by indybrit

It's not like I was a complete b***ard who deserted eveyone.....it's just a long story.
Why? that just seems weird

As for me... Been here since Nov 2002 and have been back twice hoping to make it a third time in Sept or Oct.

Ash
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:25 pm
"Ted You Big Bollocks"

justboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here since September 2003 and havn't been home yet. We had planned to go over this August but my family are coming over in September so we are putting off our plans until next Spring/Summer.

As a Travel Agent, i can hopefully swing us a nice bargain with Northwest into Gatwick from Minneapolis and then get BA up to Inverness.

I'm in no hurry to go back...but my wife loves Scotland too much to stay away for too long...and she is the yank!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

kasgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday In Manchester !

Hi
As an USC married to a Englishman I look forward to visiting the UK ASAP every year. The culture, history, art, museums, pubs, music, theaters,countryside, sport and people are exceptional. Particularly around Manchester. the way the city has reinvented and regenerated itself since the IRA bomb has been breathtaking. So please do not let a previous post put anyone off. Few places here in the USA offer what Manchester has again Art, clubs, bars, music, parks,shops, history (you name it) etc etc and you are how many hours away from London,Paris,Rome,Madrid etc etc are you there? Hoping to move over to England next year to give it a try. Thought I would have read more positives on this site about the UK. After my many visits over there I think of my USA as more and more of a bad taste, tacky, cultureless, I got I got a new ??....society.
But maybe I am wearing those 'Rose Tinted Specs' people mention
Regards
Kas
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 9:19 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future
Default Re: Holiday In Manchester !

Originally posted by kasgood
Hoping to move over to England next year to give it a try. Thought I would have read more positives on this site about the UK. After my many visits over there I think of my USA as more and more of a bad taste, tacky, cultureless, I got I got a new ??....society.
Regards
Kas
Grass is always greener... etc.

I'm sure most of us love the UK, but there are reasons why we chose the US over the UK. My wife tried living in the UK, but after 15 months couldn't take it anymore and wanted to return home. She was fed up with salaries, house prices, traffic and the health system. The US may have its faults but we have a better life here.

Not sure why you expect people on an Ex-Pat forum to extol the virtue of living in their home country.. they all chose to leave it. The UK is a wonderful place to visit, not so great to live there
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by justboy

I'm in no hurry to go back...but my wife loves Scotland too much to stay away for too long...and she is the yank!!!
I know how she feels. That's our situation as well.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey Kas,

Go to www.americanexpats.co.uk I think you'll find other likewise Americans (most live over in the UK) who are quite happy with being in the UK. Plus they can answer most questions you might have if you're looking to move over there. The best of luck.

Lisa
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 10:26 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by James Box
Grass is always greener... etc.

I'm sure most of us love the UK, but there are reasons why we chose the US over the UK. My wife tried living in the UK, but after 15 months couldn't take it anymore and wanted to return home. She was fed up with salaries, house prices, traffic and the health system. The US may have its faults but we have a better life here.

Not sure why you expect people on an Ex-Pat forum to extol the virtue of living in their home country.. they all chose to leave it. The UK is a wonderful place to visit, not so great to live there
I moved over here because it was simpler as my wife has a child. Out of choice I would be in the UK. With all the complications of immigration and trying to find decent work out here I think we wuld have done things differently with hind-sight.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

grahamalistair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How often do you go back to Britain?

Originally posted by britchicknyc
Reading the "i'm going home for Christmas" thread, made me wonder how often everyone goes back home.

It is cheapish for me because I live on the east coast, but I probably get back four or five times a year......

What about you?
6 TIMES per year currently - fly via Newark, Chicago or Philly to Manchester then drive to Preston, Lancs
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by RoB1833
I moved over here because it was simpler as my wife has a child. Out of choice I would be in the UK. With all the complications of immigration and trying to find decent work out here I think we wuld have done things differently with hind-sight.
Again, we know how you feel. Hindsight would have been a wonderful thing to have about a year ago.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

grahamalistair is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kasgood
Hi
As an USC married to a Englishman I look forward to visiting the UK ASAP every year. The culture, history, art, museums, pubs, music, theaters,countryside, sport and people are exceptional. Particularly around Manchester. the way the city has reinvented and regenerated itself since the IRA bomb has been breathtaking. So please do not let a previous post put anyone off. Few places here in the USA offer what Manchester has again Art, clubs, bars, music, parks,shops, history (you name it) etc etc and you are how many hours away from London,Paris,Rome,Madrid etc etc are you there? Hoping to move over to England next year to give it a try. Thought I would have read more positives on this site about the UK. After my many visits over there I think of my USA as more and more of a bad taste, tacky, cultureless, I got I got a new ??....society.
Regards
Kas
Here Here - I love England born in the North and went to University in London - so you will not get me knocking it - though there are things that piss me off like the high price of sodas and stuff like that - but I just like the USA even better. As you say, loads of history and culture - weather not to good though - but in winter it is milder in Britain
Old Jul 24th 2004, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Been here over a year and haven't been back once. Don't really want to at this point either. Enjoying myself here too much. Maybe later next year or the year after we will make a trip back.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

I am quite surprised by the answers here.....

I supposed it depends why you left Britain and how old you are etc......

I left to marry my now-husband and would have no problems or issues with returning to live in the UK. I also have my entire family back there, so I do return frequently.

Both countries have their pros and cons......tough choice I know. But I can't imagine not returning for years at a time.....
Old Jul 25th 2004, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by justboy
I've been here since September 2003 and havn't been home yet. We had planned to go over this August but my family are coming over in September so we are putting off our plans until next Spring/Summer.

As a Travel Agent, i can hopefully swing us a nice bargain with Northwest into Gatwick from Minneapolis and then get BA up to Inverness.

Your wife is a really wise and sensible lady.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.