Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How often do you change your oil?

Wikiposts

How often do you change your oil?

Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:21 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you change your oil?

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Or you could come down here and buy one from me without all the hassle and BS.

but that would mean having to buy a ford (probably)
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:50 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
but that would mean having to buy a ford (probably)

I'm sure we can do you a great deal!

What were you looking to spend every month?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So what about petrol...the volumetric pump rate...that a myth or if true, how much of a difference does it actually make to fill up at the pumps in the freezing cold of a morning winter to the boiling hot heat of summer's mid day?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

and yeah, I am bored, but not bored enough to actually look it up
so if anyone knew...
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:04 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
This is complete bollocks

Sorry, but do the mathematics, I would hate someone to end up deep in the do do otherwise.

There are loads of resources to look at.

I really wanted to reply with that particular comment...

when you can easily get independent financing at 4.2% or less on new/used cars then leasing is the worst option

and any comments about people wanting to have a better car than they could normally afford - thats the point - they CAN'T afford it and are overextending themselves.

and you're actually putting these people in a worse financial hole
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at it from an individuals point of view its a similar issue to using an Endownment to buy a House.

There are circumstances where an Endownment is still a valid choice, but for the majority its nonsense.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

so no take on the petrol then?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:02 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
so no take on the petrol then?
In the summer in Phoenix, they run TV ads asking you to fill up in the early morning or evening -- it's supposedly meant to cause less pollution.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by fatbrit
In the summer in Phoenix, they run TV ads asking you to fill up in the early morning or evening -- it's supposedly meant to cause less pollution.
nothing to do with the petrol expanding in the heat then?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:50 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Bob
nothing to do with the petrol expanding in the heat then?

Nope -- think it's so cheap here it ain't really an issue. Although, locals love to get the best deal. Have you got a similar site for your neck of the woods?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:53 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Nope -- think it's so cheap here it ain't really an issue. Although, locals love to get the best deal. Have you got a similar site for your neck of the woods?
How about these two national sites?

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgas_index.asp

NC Penguin
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

I looked, but couldn't find one...and I only mention it because there's like 25-30c difference between here, and the in-laws a 100 odd miles away....there cheaper...so i'm holding off on filling the tank right up
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

opps...nevermind, there is a maine one now...there wasn't when I first came over, or last year, just one for portland....and sod knowing the petrol at a place over 2 hours away *lol*
Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice
Exclamation Re: How often do you change your oil?

Change your oil at 3,000, 5,000, or 10,000. Depends on the size of your motor, how much you drive your car, etc.
Never, ever listen to minimum waged pay people at JIFFY LUBE or any other oil and lube franchises (that includes Pep Boys, just get your parts from there)!!! Get yourself a manual for your car and read!
If your car has a V8 motor then I would suggest between 3,000 and 5,000 miles. If your car manufactured year is 1990 and before then between 3,000 and 5,000 miles.
If you got a brand new car, 4 cyclinder, between 1.2 and 2.0 litre then 10,000 miles I guess would be ok, I do not see many cars on the side of the road here in England so 10,000 miles probably would be ok.
I was born and bred in the states and grew up around race car fanatics and mechanics
If your still in doubt take a look at the oil yourself If it is black, burnt out looking (you'll be able to tell), GET IT CHANGED ASAP!!!
If it is brown and clear then keep driving, and make sure to tap it off to the fill line on the dip stick, always make sure it is to that line at every 3,000 mile or monthly if your a worry wort, if you change your oil at 10,000 miles.
If your oil is the color of the beer on this emoticon then I myself would change it lol

From Broma's husband
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: How often do you change your oil?

Originally Posted by broma25
If your oil is the color of the beer on this emoticon then I myself would change it lol

From Broma's husband
And, I assume, wouldn't recommend drinking it???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.