Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How often do you change your oil?

Wikiposts

How often do you change your oil?

Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you change your oil?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you have a home that's mobile and 15 cars that aren't, ....
hehe..well don't even need a mobile home...this is maine afterall *l*
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=TRPardoe]Apparently "They f**cked with the right geezer" because you signed up for it.

I have never heard of anyone paying 23% here. A recent arrival with no history might pay 17%. As for the warranty, it is true that some lenders would require "gap insurance" in case you total the vehicle but they would never insist on a Maintenance Policy. In fact they cannot insist on it.

Didn't the dealer tell you that you could cancel a maintenance plan at any time ?

The loan was through Ford Credit and at the time I needed a car and didn't know the 'lay of the land' and perhaps extended myself on credit.
No they never told me I could cancel it at any time.
Being a newbie, I had no idea what gap insurance is/was.
So, now you've heard of someone who paid 23%
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Always get your gap insurance through your insurance broker, never through the dealer. If you need gap insurance, you're probably overextending yourself on the car loan. Whilst this makes you look very American, it's bloody foolish!
Yeah, what is this gap insurance crap - how does it work exactly? The dealer tried to sell it to me, and I was paying cash for the vehicle!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:24 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Yeah, what is this gap insurance crap - how does it work exactly? The dealer tried to sell it to me, and I was paying cash for the vehicle!

Un-freakin'-believable!!!!!!

Gap insurance explained.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Un-freakin'-believable!!!!!!

Gap insurance explained.
Ah thanks, I get it now. What the dickhead was trying to do was say "you need gap insurance incase you crash your car, then you'll get all your money back". - er no thanks! - How long is gap insurance valid for anyway? The first year or not even that I should imagine.

Regardless, I obviously told him I did not require gap insurance, finance, extra warranty, wheel warranty and a hoard of other crap that they try to sell you.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:40 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Ah thanks, I get it now. What the dickhead was trying to do was say "you need gap insurance incase you crash your car, then you'll get all your money back". - er no thanks! - How long is gap insurance valid for anyway? The first year or not even that I should imagine.

Regardless, I obviously told him I did not require gap insurance, finance, extra warranty, wheel warranty and a hoard of other crap that they try to sell you.
Yup -- it's mainly used for idiots who go into negative equity the moment they drive away from the dealer because they put nothing down for the loan. I'm afraid my thinking is that if you can't put 20% down, you can't afford the car -- but then I'm only a silly foreigner.

The last visit at the dealer is to the "paperwork man" who isn't the paperwork man at all (that's some poorly paid girl in the back office) but their last chance to screw you by selling you crap you don't want. Last time I bought a car, I told the 'salesman' I couldn't be bothered to waste my time with him and the deal would vanish in a puff of smoke if he didn't get rid of the guy. Hey presto -- never even met him!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=fatbrit]Yup -- it's mainly used for idiots who go into negative equity the moment they drive away from the dealer because they put nothing down for the loan. I'm afraid my thinking is that if you can't put 20% down, you can't afford the car -- but then I'm only a silly foreigner.

Some peoples finances are obviously different to yours,
Guess that makes me an idiot then.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:50 am
Septicity

[QUOTE=rogerpenycate]
Yup -- it's mainly used for idiots who go into negative equity the moment they drive away from the dealer because they put nothing down for the loan. I'm afraid my thinking is that if you can't put 20% down, you can't afford the car -- but then I'm only a silly foreigner.

Some peoples finances are obviously different to yours,
Guess that makes me an idiot then.

Financial discipline! C'mon! If you can't afford 20% down, you're out of your league. Buy a cheaper car -- they're a depreciating liability anyway. If you want to stretch yourself on a loan, go for real estate or a business venture every time!

You can find a nice used Saturn for $5k. That's $1k down. Parts are cheap, maintanence is cheap, insurance is cheap, run for ever, no street cred though. Gets you from A to B same as $40k pimpmobile.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

Financial discipline! C'mon! If you can't afford 20% down, you're out of your league. Buy a cheaper car -- they're a depreciating liability anyway. If you want to stretch yourself on a loan, go for real estate or a business venture every time!

You can find a nice used Saturn for $5k. That's $1k down. Parts are cheap, maintanence is cheap, insurance is cheap, run for ever, no street cred though. Gets you from A to B same as $40k pimpmobile.
I got a new Saturn Ion when I arrived here - without any real knowledge of what type of cars they were - I just liked the look of them and the fact they had "no haggle" prices. I wanted something I could afford to pay cash for and although I wanted a SUV , went for a Saturn as it was cheap to buy and good gas mileage.
I take it Fatbrit that they are reasonably decent cars?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Financial discipline! C'mon! If you can't afford 20% down, you're out of your league.

mmm !!!!!!!!
Interesting observation from someone who knows as much about me as he does about the Atkins diet
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:00 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by John Murray
I got a new Saturn Ion when I arrived here - without any real knowledge of what type of cars they were - I just liked the look of them and the fact they had "no haggle" prices. I wanted something I could afford to pay cash for and although I wanted a SUV , went for a Saturn as it was cheap to buy and good gas mileage.

Loved mine! Had a bog standard manual SL, bought it used, magic car but slightly wierd Citroenesque steering. Was forced to sell it when MIL came over for her first visit as madam's coupe was too small for the great southwest tour and the dragon would not be seen dead in a Saturn. Still miss it!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:07 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
Financial discipline! C'mon! If you can't afford 20% down, you're out of your league.

mmm !!!!!!!!
Interesting observation from someone who knows as much about me as he does about the Atkins diet

I'm afraid argumentum ad hominem is not acceptable when discussing money. Try the political threads...

Last edited by fatbrit; Feb 2nd 2005 at 4:10 am. Reason: Grammar!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm afraid argumentum ad hominem is not acceptable when discussing money. Try the political threads...

Is this a five minute argument ?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Murray
dent resisdent plastic body panels that pop out are handy
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 7:10 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
dent resisdent plastic body panels that pop out are handy

although this is a feature that is being phased out because saturn is losing so much money for GM

to go with fatbrits comment - 20% down is a good yardstick, although i found that i could earn more interest in investments than the intrest rate on my car note so i didn't put anything down

for the vast majority of people out there, financing a car with zero down over 5 years is the peak of financial stupidity (or ignorance)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.