Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much time will you be taking off this Christmas?

How much time will you be taking off this Christmas?

Old Dec 27th 2006, 6:55 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: How much time will you be taking off this Christmas?

Originally Posted by blaze
I am SO with you on the going to England thing next year. I said the exact same thing myself yesterday (Boxing Day) as I was looking around the sales (hubby was back at work and the in-laws had returned home so I had nothing better to do! ). I was just thinking how all my family and friends would be relaxing at home with their loved ones and eating leftovers and pickles ( ) and the USA had gone back to business as usual like the day before hadn't happened.
My mum was upset that she couldn't see us for yet another Christmas and at that point I made the decision that next year will be different. My dad came out last Christmas so I wasn't without my family then but I haven't spent the day with my mum in 5 years and that's too long. What this means is that I won't be able to go to Britain in the summer like I usually do as I won't be able to afford to go home twice in one year so I will have to wait another 12 months before I can make the trip but it will be worth it.
Anyway, hope your day isn't too bogged down with choirs, have a glass of wine while your doing them and they won't seem so tedious!
Hmmmm. You're near the Finger Lakes aren't you? Maybe I should drive up and spend a couple of days in your area and we could get together......and/or you could come down here and visit New York City......

Christmas was so crappy this year (Christmas Day was good - but I'm feeling down in the dumps now).
Old Dec 27th 2006, 10:03 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much time will you be taking off this Christmas?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Hmmmm. You're near the Finger Lakes aren't you? Maybe I should drive up and spend a couple of days in your area and we could get together......and/or you could come down here and visit New York City......

Christmas was so crappy this year (Christmas Day was good - but I'm feeling down in the dumps now).

Come on up I'll put the kettle on!

We are well and truly in the finger lakes region, surrounded by them. There's lots to do up here, you should come.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 10:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Come on up I'll put the kettle on!

We are well and truly in the finger lakes region, surrounded by them. There's lots to do up here, you should come.
My daughter will be passing through Syracuse on Saturday....I'll be packing.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 10:52 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter will be passing through Syracuse on Saturday....I'll be packing.

Well, tell her to give me a wave!

P.s Have fun packing, I'm very jealous (not of the packing, of the trip!)
Old Dec 27th 2006, 11:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well, tell her to give me a wave!

P.s Have fun packing, I'm very jealous (not of the packing, of the trip!)
I'm making a list of properties to view next week.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 11:25 pm
Blondie22

I'm making a list of properties to view next week.

Where?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 11:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Where?
Cheshire, ENGLAND!!!
Old Dec 27th 2006, 11:29 pm
Blondie22

Cheshire, ENGLAND!!!

Are you really looking or is this wishfull thinking on your part?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 11:30 pm
Blondie22

Cheshire, ENGLAND!!!

I'll to the ENGLAND with you though mate!
Old Dec 28th 2006, 12:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Are you really looking or is this wishfull thinking on your part?
It's for real.
Old Dec 28th 2006, 12:25 pm
Blondie22

It's for real.

NO!!!, tell me more!
Old Dec 28th 2006, 2:46 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Only off the Xmas week. Have the usual two Xmas holiday days from work and then I booked three days vacation to give me the week.

Back on the 2nd and then off to Florida on the 4th for a big work gathering
Old Dec 28th 2006, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

gdjones has a brilliant futuregdjones has a brilliant futuregdjones has a brilliant futuregdjones has a brilliant futuregdjones has a brilliant futuregdjones has a brilliant futuregdjones has a brilliant futuregdjones has a brilliant future

I wasnt impressed by the amount of time off I was entitled to this christmas, luckily with it falling on a monday at least i had a few days off before it, and a HR error allowed me to take boxing day off too, still this was my first christmas here and it was a very strange experience as its literally one day off (I would have had to work Christmas Eve and Boxing day).
My suggestion - scrap this silly turkey thing in November and add the holidays to Christmas vacation - that would be far more logical.
Or even just give people more time off anyway?
Ha, cant complain though I went up to spend Christmas with a friends family in Minnessota and had a really good time.
Old Dec 28th 2006, 7:50 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I had Christmas Day off...that was it. On Christmas Eve I worked from 7am until midnight and then back to work on Boxing Day (12 hour shift). It was hardly worth bothering. Plus my partner was working Christmas Day so I was all alone listening to Capital Gold on the internet and crying my eyes out missing home like mad. It just doesn't feel like Christmas here. There's no anticipation or time off to make it worth the while. I'm working New Year's Day too. What a load of poo.