Reload this Page >

How much money to go with?

How much money to go with?

Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

FlatDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much money to go with?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
... and you are a public school teacher?
No, I earn a six figure salary. I also had a large chunk of cash in the bank already saved but didn't need it, the $10k was more than enough. Just saying, if money is tight it shouldn't be a problem for them.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

It would be hard to live on $2000 a month in the Virginia Beach area. Could you get health insurance through the city you will be working in? I know here it is much cheaper because of the volume of people on the group plan, city workers/teachers/police and it's good coverage compared to most.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

This might be helpful:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spending-Less-an...2em118Q2el1247

http://www.homeeconomiser.com/

I've just ordered a copy off Ebay
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlatDog
No, I earn a six figure salary. I also had a large chunk of cash in the bank already saved but didn't need it, the $10k was more than enough. Just saying, if money is tight it shouldn't be a problem for them.
Not quite sure what you mean by "if money is tight it shouldn't be a problem for them" ...

Whether or not $10K is enough depends a lot on individual circumstances.

It isn't just what the long term actual additional cost is, it is how much money you have to come up with at a particular instant that matters.

By the time you have paid first and last month's rent and security deposit on an apartment, bought furniture to put in it and paid deposits on all of the various utilities you will be well into $10,000.

Of course, some of those amounts are deposits or future rent payments that you will ultimately "get back", but for someone with a limited income all that is moot if they can't come up with the cash up front when they need it.

The advantage of earning a reasonably high salary is that you are typically not living hand to mouth so you have a lot more flexibility about when and how to pay for things.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

FlatDog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md95065
Not quite sure what you mean by "if money is tight it shouldn't be a problem for them" ...

Whether or not $10K is enough depends a lot on individual circumstances.

It isn't just what the long term actual additional cost is, it is how much money you have to come up with at a particular instant that matters.

By the time you have paid first and last month's rent and security deposit on an apartment, bought furniture to put in it and paid deposits on all of the various utilities you will be well into $10,000.

Of course, some of those amounts are deposits or future rent payments that you will ultimately "get back", but for someone with a limited income all that is moot if they can't come up with the cash up front when they need it.

The advantage of earning a reasonably high salary is that you are typically not living hand to mouth so you have a lot more flexibility about when and how to pay for things.
It depends how you are looking at things. When I landed here I stayed in a cheap motel ($50 / night) for the first 6 weeks, had a rental car and that got me by until I got my Social Security Number, bank accounts setup and my first work paycheck into it and I still had a ton of money left over. Once you've got that sorted you're right you need apartment deposits and furniture etc, but you don't have to buy it all at once and you've then got money coming in from that point forward. Both a bed and a sofa can be picked up for $1,000 new. Pots / pans, cutlery etc are all cheap and a decent 32" LCD TV for less than $700. Then you just need some deposit on a car lease if that's what you're doing and you're away.

When you first arrive you won't have a good idea on the neighborhood you want to live in etc. so don't go committing to 12months on an apartment straight away. Find a motel or something and explore first, you don't want to be stuck in the wrong area right off the bat as it will make your first experience here worse. Also don't go buying all your furniture day 1, what if you move and end up in a smaller place and no where to put it all? Take your time, slowly build up your things and spread the cost rather than taking a hit all within the 1st month of landing.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

madeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud of

I am shocked at the pay! I am living on the east coast, I have been using freecycle as a first stop then craigs list sales and the gargage sale, good luck, oh and if you have children look up lilaguide, someone gave me a stroller (how us is that) and I am meetinf people through it
Old Jul 26th 2008, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

webster2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all your comments we have found them helpful.

Just to clarify; the agency will provide fully furnished accomdation, i.e. Duplex or Apartment at a subsidised rate and car hire, again at a subsidised rate. I'm thinking this will be about $800 to $1000 a month combined.I will also receive Blue Cross/Blue Shield from the State.

From your comments I will now negotiate my salary with a bit more confidence.

The original question was aimed at finding out if my husband and I could survive on my income alone as it may take a while for him to find a job.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 2:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webster2007
Thank you for all your comments we have found them helpful.

Just to clarify; the agency will provide fully furnished accomdation, i.e. Duplex or Apartment at a subsidised rate and car hire, again at a subsidised rate. I'm thinking this will be about $800 to $1000 a month combined.I will also receive Blue Cross/Blue Shield from the State.

From your comments I will now negotiate my salary with a bit more confidence.

The original question was aimed at finding out if my husband and I could survive on my income alone as it may take a while for him to find a job.
It still sounds rubbish...even if they subsidise the car rental, it doesn't help you build up a credit history, so your hurting yourself long term, and unless they're helping out with two cars, you'll find it very hard to both get around and both work.

As for the insurance, just because they provide it, doesn't mean it won't cost you an arm and a leg, so check the co-pays, deductibles and levels of coverage.