Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Brits transported pets from the UK?

Any Brits transported pets from the UK?

Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

mrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nice
Question Any Brits transported pets from the UK?

Just wondered if anyone had any experience with their pets.
Also does anyone know of anyone who has transported their pets by boat?
thanks
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:24 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits transported pets to UK?

Originally Posted by mrandmrssunshine
Just wondered if anyone had any experience with their pets.
Also does anyone know of anyone who has transported their pets by boat?
thanks

This really should be in the 'Moving back to the UK' forum.

Plenty of people going through it there and plenty of past threads for you to search through. The Queen Mary 2 is the one you want to search for if boats are your thing.

Last edited by ladyofthelake; Feb 6th 2008 at 5:25 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a few threads, a pretty good one going over the last few days if you search the forum in the USA section...

And welcome to BE
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
This really should be in the 'Moving back to the UK' forum.

Plenty of people going through it there and plenty of past threads for you to search through. The Queen Mary 2 is the one you want to search for if boats are your thing.
No she's wanting to move from the UK to the US....even though the title of the thread suggests otherwise. I'm presuming from the username preferred destination Florida.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:18 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she's expecting it to be a complete disaster and is looking into returning before she's even left!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Maybe she's expecting it to be a complete disaster and is looking into returning before she's even left!
That would be a wise plan.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

mrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nice

Ooops! sorry guys, I meant the US NOT the UK! DUH, I can't wait to leave the UK!!!!

Oh & thank you Bob for the kind welcome

Last edited by mrandmrssunshine; Feb 6th 2008 at 7:15 pm. Reason: missed off some text
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Ooooh Lady of the Lakes, I notice you are from sunny Fla.... May I ask where abouts, that is where we are hoping to move to
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:04 pm
my arm aches

Originally Posted by mrandmrssunshine
Ooooh Lady of the Lakes, I notice you are from sunny Fla.... May I ask where abouts, that is where we are hoping to move to
I'm in the North East, close to Jacksonville.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits transported pets from the UK?

We transported our 110lb German Shepherd from Manchester to Orlando in 2002. We used a company called Animal Airlines and I think they are/were based in Cheshire. They provided the appropriate (in our case, huge) shipping crate and met us at the airport about 3 hours before departure. They also steered us regarding all the vet paperwork we needed to do this. We used US Airways, Manchester-Philly-Orlando because they treated the crate as excess baggage - and arranged for our dog to be taken out of the crate air-side in Philadelphia, during the 2 hour lay-over there. Both Animal Airways and US Airways were great and the whole trip was seamless.
I think Animal Airways charged us around GBP200 and the flight cost was less than GBP100.
Be aware that there are some restrictions - they won't fly animals in cargo during the summer, because of cargo hold temps on the ground. Naturally, the animal needs to be deemed healthy enough for the voyage - and should not be sedated.
Biggest problem for our dog was aclimating to the temps here, having lived in Yorkshire for the first five years of her life.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We moved our border collie in 2004 and used a company called Ladyhaye. We dropped off our dog and she boarded with them for a week (that was something we chose to have done) and then they got her to the airport (Gatwick) and she flew straight from there to Seattle. We bought the carrier from them and everything went very well. They also had a vet check her before she went on the plane and they handled all the papers. Our dog (she was about 10 years old at the time) arrived very well and we were pretty happy.

Here's their website:

http://www.ladyhaye.co.uk/
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks Awesome Wellies and AmerLisa, Really helpful posts, we too are going to need a very large crate for our dog! so will check both of them out
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
We transported our 110lb German Shepherd from Manchester to Orlando in 2002. We used a company called Animal Airlines and I think they are/were based in Cheshire. They provided the appropriate (in our case, huge) shipping crate and met us at the airport about 3 hours before departure. They also steered us regarding all the vet paperwork we needed to do this. We used US Airways, Manchester-Philly-Orlando because they treated the crate as excess baggage - and arranged for our dog to be taken out of the crate air-side in Philadelphia, during the 2 hour lay-over there. Both Animal Airways and US Airways were great and the whole trip was seamless.
I think Animal Airways charged us around GBP200 and the flight cost was less than GBP100.
Be aware that there are some restrictions - they won't fly animals in cargo during the summer, because of cargo hold temps on the ground. Naturally, the animal needs to be deemed healthy enough for the voyage - and should not be sedated.
Biggest problem for our dog was aclimating to the temps here, having lived in Yorkshire for the first five years of her life.
I think this only applies if you are on the same flight though, correct? Otherwise, they are classed as freight and it costs a lot more.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

We flew with Virgin and had our dog on the same flight as us... Think it was 600 quid... Virgin were very good in the UK... However we were told that the flight attendants would let us know during the flight how the dog was.. (apperantly they have cameras?!) but they didn't... also when we landed I just wanted someone to tell us 'something' i.e. he had survived the flight!! and they weren't in the least bit interested.... So we had to go through customs and then drive to Virgin cargo at LAX before we knew how he was... very traumatic... and I can't even go into the whole paperwork..customs thing for the dog... took 4 hours :curse: So all i can say is best of luck with it!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sambapink
We flew with Virgin and had our dog on the same flight as us... Think it was 600 quid... Virgin were very good in the UK... However we were told that the flight attendants would let us know during the flight how the dog was.. (apperantly they have cameras?!) but they didn't... also when we landed I just wanted someone to tell us 'something' i.e. he had survived the flight!! and they weren't in the least bit interested.... So we had to go through customs and then drive to Virgin cargo at LAX before we knew how he was... very traumatic... and I can't even go into the whole paperwork..customs thing for the dog... took 4 hours :curse: So all i can say is best of luck with it!
Oh no Sambapink that is awful can't believe that noone even took the time to let you know, how terrible, especially as that is who we would be flying with! We are even looking into taking him on a boat as we are so worried about him getting stressed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.