Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much is enough – Northeast

How much is enough – Northeast

Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much is enough – Northeast

Some parts of the NE are more affordable than others. "South County", Rhode Island, where my wife is from, is relatively affordable, hugely so compared to Westchester County, NY where we live. We'd move there in an instant if we could find good jobs there, but RI's economy is still in the basket, with one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.

It's definitely a case of research, research, research - City-Data.com is good for the nitty-gritty.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd increase your grocery bill - with just 2 of us in cheap Michigan it's usually $150 a week and you're a family of 5. Don't forget your 'groceries' will not just be food but all the other stuff - toilet paper, dish cleaner, laundry detergent etc etc
You have 3 kids, they will be growing - so factor in a clothing allowance as well
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

studentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nice

I would say 2-350 a week, we're a family of 5, and most of the grocery shopping is from Walmart, Market Basket and Stop n shop. The US is cheap for somethings and ridiculously expensive for others !
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

dan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Can you give any clue as to type of work? Would it include medical benefits, for instance?
I'm in iT, I already have been offered position at Dover,NH based company, albeit good at first it might be just an average
if you consider with how much of the pay check you will be left at the end of the month. The aim of this exercise is to
asses the damage .
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw
Pretty much all of the Northeast gets absolutely horrible winters - days on end of sub-zero temperatures, ice storms, snow measured in feet, not inches, frequent power cuts and so on. It'll be a bit of a wakeup call. Before I moved there, I thought all the big 4WD pickups and SUVs were just conspicuous consumption, then I saw my first NJ winter and realised they actually need them to get anywhere!

The closer you are to a decent-sized town the more likely it'll be that there'll be people salting and ploughing the roads on a regular basis during winter, so bear that in mind. Otherwise it's entirely possible you could be housebound for much of the time during the winter.
This is definitely true. And if you choose to live in a town, within walking distance of workplace and at least some shopping, it can dramatically reduce your annual car mileage - and possibly reduce the need for a large 4 wheel drive vehicle. I know folks who live in town, so are able to only run one car since work and school are walkable.

We spend $6,000 per annum for oil heating. And we never have the thermostat above 68 degrees, and also we use a lot of firewood to supplement.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

dan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Philk
I'd increase your grocery bill - with just 2 of us in cheap Michigan it's usually $150 a week and you're a family of 5. Don't forget your 'groceries' will not just be food but all the other stuff - toilet paper, dish cleaner, laundry detergent etc etc
You have 3 kids, they will be growing - so factor in a clothing allowance as well
Just had my wife review these prices
Weekly Specials
and have that compared with her weekly spending at Tesco's she's
quite confident we would not go over $500 per month.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_j
Just had my wife review these prices
Weekly Specials
and have that compared with her weekly spending at Tesco's she's
quite confident we would not go over $500 per month.
For a family of 5? Not a chance!
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robin1234
This is definitely true. And if you choose to live in a town, within walking distance of workplace and at least some shopping, it can dramatically reduce your annual car mileage - and possibly reduce the need for a large 4 wheel drive vehicle. I know folks who live in town, so are able to only run one car since work and school are walkable.

We spend $6,000 per annum for oil heating. And we never have the thermostat above 68 degrees, and also we use a lot of firewood to supplement.
I hear you, I'm revisiting heating costs and adding couple of pointers:

- $ 500 groceries
- $ 300 car insurance - 2 cars
- $ 20 Umbrella Insurance
- $ 120 internet, phone, TV
- $ 200 propane based heating / air conditioning(avg) 3 bedroom (~2000 sq./ft.)
{oil based NE - might be as much as about $600-800 per month from November-March, overall yearly 6K}
- $ ___ electricity (avg / month) 5 people - 3 bedroom house
- $ ___ extra school spendings (after school activities including sport related)
- $ 150 3 cell plans
- $ 250 (70c / litre / on avg 3050 km shared by 2 cars per month with avg 10l / 100km)
- $ ___ water (avg / month)
- $2000 rent - 3 bedroom (~200 sq./ft.)
- $____ medical insurance - ($300 to $1500) family of 5 depending on work based benefits (if any) and an income
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GT: $3540

Pointers:
- get a job with medical insurance included,
- rent a house, with efficient / modern heating system preferably propane based,
- rent a house in the within a (even small) city area, it would lower gas costs

Last edited by dan_j; Oct 9th 2014 at 5:32 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpjs
I would not argue with "the Boss" .
I guess she will learn the lesson soon ...
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_j
I'm in iT, I already have been offered position at Dover,NH based company, albeit good at first it might be just an average
if you consider with how much of the pay check you will be left at the end of the month. The aim of this exercise is to
asses the damage .
Dunno much about Dover but it's near Portsmouth which is one of my favorite places in New England; really nice little seaport. It also has the advantage of being a way outside the Boston metro area & therefore has cheaper housing (except for Portsmouth which is expensive). Only problem is that the property taxes are really expensive.

Originally Posted by robin1234
How big is your house?

Last edited by HumphreyC; Oct 9th 2014 at 5:37 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

studentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nice

The things that arent on the weekly specials are the things that add up quickly, eg a loaf of bread can cost $3-4, and will taste like crap. a Gallon of milk is $4 etc
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Unless they are the Cratchits and live off gruel?

Question to Dan - or rather "The Boss" - how much do you spend in the UK?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

We are a family of 5, and I'd estimate we spend about $1300 per month.

Now, this is in Texas at HEB, a good but not high-end grocery store, and it includes some wine and beer and a few other things that aren't essential. Even shopping at Walmart and buying special offers, though, I can't imagine you can cater for 5 for a month for $500.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Philk
Unless they are the Cratchits and live off gruel?

Question to Dan - or rather "The Boss" - how much do you spend in the UK?
I was given a quote of 600 quid (monthly).
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by studentgwant
The things that arent on the weekly specials are the things that add up quickly, eg a loaf of bread can cost $3-4, and will taste like crap. a Gallon of milk is $4 etc
fair point i add that Franklin back:

- $ 600 groceries
- $ 300 car insurance - 2 cars
- $ 20 Umbrella Insurance
- $ 120 internet, phone, TV
- $ 200 propane based heating / air conditioning(avg) 3 bedroom (~2000 sq./ft.)
{oil based NE - might be as much as about $600-800 per month from November-March, overall yearly 6K - 3,000 sq ft.}
- $ ___ electricity (avg / month) 5 people - 3 bedroom house
- $ ___ extra school spendings (after school activities including sport related)
- $ 150 3 cell plans
- $ 250 (70c / litre / on avg 3050 km shared by 2 cars per month with avg 10l / 100km)
- $ ___ water (avg / month)
- $2000 rent - 3 bedroom (~200 sq./ft.)
- $____ medical insurance - ($300 to $1500) family of 5 depending on work based benefits (if any) and an income
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GT: $3640

Pointers:
- get a job with medical insurance included,
- rent a house, with efficient / modern heating system preferably propane based,
- rent a house in the within a (even small) city area, it would lower gas costs

Last edited by dan_j; Oct 9th 2014 at 6:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.