Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much is enough – Northeast

How much is enough – Northeast

Old Oct 12th 2014, 1:13 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much is enough – Northeast

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
- JH Band - we have to buy our instruments - 6th grader is doing trumpet - $500. 8th grader did percussion - $400 in 6th, and recommended home practice instrument in 7th was $3000. We bought the same on Craigslist for $700, and sold it this year for the same price
- JH Band - despite above, all members get a $100 per year instrument fee to cover the "big stuff" - Euphonium, Tuba, bass drum, trailer to cart it all round in.
What? The schools don't recommend and even facilitate renting musical instruments any more? This seems crazy!!

One of my kids took trombone and band in 6th grade back in the 90s, and very luckily the school had contact with a musical instrument outfit that provided one to rent. I say luckily because the enthusiasm for trombone/band did not last the school year....

(Edited after Yorkieabroad's post)

Last edited by WEBlue; Oct 12th 2014 at 2:24 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 1:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
HS graduation is very expensive but that might be regional.
Middle school graduation was also a huge thing at my daughter's school.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 1:47 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
What? The schools don't recommend and even facilitate renting musical instruments any more? This seems crazy!!

One of my kids took trombone and band in 6th grade back in the 90s, and very luckily the school a musical instrument outfit to provide one to rent. I say luckily because the enthusiasm for trombone/band did not last the school year....
I could have phrased that better...."we have to provide our instruments", rather than them being school provided. Yes, you can rent them through various local music shops, but they all work on pretty much the same formula where the breakeven renting versus buying is just under 20 months, so if you are thinking of more than 1 year of Band (which we do) then it makes more sense to buy.

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; Oct 12th 2014 at 1:50 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 2:21 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I could have phrased that better...."we have to provide our instruments", rather than them being school provided. Yes, you can rent them through various local music shops, but they all work on pretty much the same formula where the breakeven renting versus buying is just under 20 months, so if you are thinking of more than 1 year of Band (which we do) then it makes more sense to buy.
No, these instruments weren't school provided either--the school and music teacher went to great pains to point this out--but rather parents were given the name of a music shop in town, with whom parents could sign a rental contract if desired. Or the parents could purchase instruments outright from the shop as well. So I guess the same as your arrangement.

But for most parents we knew back then, it was best for at least the first year NOT to buy, because who knew if their child would even like that instrument? Maybe they'd want to switch to another one, or quit altogether. Also, I know from my own experience that it's necessary to play for while--at least a year, perhaps more--before parent and student can even tell what constitutes a decent quality of instrument for purchasing....

Last edited by WEBlue; Oct 12th 2014 at 2:24 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 3:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Middle school graduation was also a huge thing at my daughter's school. ....
Did she switch to a different high school, or was the middle school attached to the same k-12 school?
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Maybe regional, and cultural. My kids didn't cost us one thin dime when they graduated. They were going to school, then they graduated, then it was summer and they didn't go back to school. End of school. Some of their classmates, however .... Bumper stickers, proud grandparents, balloons on the mailbox, parties, extravagant gifts, etc.

OK I remembered, we had to buy the gown and cap, but that was it. Oh and maybe a Carvel ice cream cake, but we buy those at the least provocation!
Didn't they go to Prom?
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I remember sitting out on a field for hours getting bored stiff with the Inspirational Speeches
Old Oct 12th 2014, 5:22 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't they go to Prom?
Neither of them ever did. They were just not interested in things like that - probably came from having a mother who grew up in the Bronx and was/is somewhat contemptuous of some aspects of small town life....
Old Oct 12th 2014, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Did she switch to a different high school, or was the middle school attached to the same k-12 school?
Different high school...but same applied to the private schools that went right through to high school.

The amount of money some of the parenta spent on dresses for 15 year olds was eye watering. They had to wear long white dresses...not really the sort of dress that could be worn again.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't believe it when I learnt from a friend of ours, that they were having graduation from kindergarten for her granddaughter, with all the trimmings.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 6:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Redwing
I couldn't believe it when I learnt from a friend of ours, that they were having graduation from kindergarten for her granddaughter, with all the trimmings.
My daughter's school did that too. Absolutely ridiculous IMO.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Neither of them ever did. They were just not interested in things like that - probably came from having a mother who grew up in the Bronx and was/is somewhat contemptuous of some aspects of small town life....
Don't they have them in cities?
Old Oct 12th 2014, 8:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't they have them in cities?
They may do, but I suspect folks in cities have more choices and are less subject to peer pressure. In a NYC high school you leave the premises and you just become an anonymous member of the citizenry .... May be different in the social media generation, I suppose..
Old Oct 12th 2014, 11:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... May be different in the social media generation, I suppose..
I think "Kardashianian era" is the description you're looking for.

Certainly as far as I can tell a lot has changed in the last 20-25 years. I can't help but wonder if part of the change is the fact that many people aren't getting married until much later in life, if indeed at all, therefore parents are more willing to splurge on HS graduation celebrations now than if they had a wedding to fund a few years later.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 12th 2014 at 11:38 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think "Kardashianian era" is the description you're looking for.

Certainly as far as I can tell a lot has changed in the last 20-25 years. I can't help but wonder if part of the change is the fact that many people aren't getting married until much later in life, if indeed at all, therefore parents are more willing to splurge on HS graduation celebrations now than if they had a wedding to fund a few years later.
Strangely though the concept of Prom seems to hark back to an earlier era with the elaborate dating rituals.

Part of me finds it ridiculous and part of me is jealous of all the fun they have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.