Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost to run a pool?

Wikiposts

How much does it cost to run a pool?

Old May 13th 2009, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much does it cost to run a pool?

Originally Posted by meauxna
Thanks for the info, I've never heard of that! Just wondered why, since I've lived in some arid places before that didn't have that problem (Greece for ex, they just pour the concrete slab straight onto the ground).
That's because in Greece, the ground is made of Old World dirt. Thousands of years of civilization have packed the ground so tightly that it can't possibly move. The New World dirt in the USA hasn't been fully packed down yet.

HTH
Old May 13th 2009, 7:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
That's because in Greece, the ground is made of Old World dirt. Thousands of years of civilization have packed the ground so tightly that it can't possibly move. The New World dirt in the USA hasn't been fully packed down yet.

HTH
O thank the gods, I thought we didn't get high quality posts like this on BE anymore!!

I forgot that Texas is only 6000 years old, too. That probably makes a difference.
karma for you, Bill.
Old May 13th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=meauxna;7568861] And I think I am the last hipster in town to not have chickens. QUOTE]

Yeah, keeping chickens is all the rage in the UK too these are really popular. My grandparents always kept chickens, but not in such trendy surroundings!

And bee hives - loads of peeps seem to be setting up hives in their back gardens.
Old May 13th 2009, 10:04 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
And I think I am the last hipster in town to not have chickens.
Yeah, keeping chickens is all the rage in the UK too these are really popular. My grandparents always kept chickens, but not in such trendy surroundings!

And bee hives - loads of peeps seem to be setting up hives in their back gardens.
omg, eglu!!!! clever. I need to get on the stick; what a missed opportunity!

I confess, I've been eyeing the bee hives. We're currently just housing the mason bees, who do their own thing for the most part.

DH just yawned and told me he's BTDT with the chickens so if I'm going to be a backyard farmer, it will have to be worms.
Old May 13th 2009, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

DH just yawned and told me he's BTDT with the chickens so if I'm going to be a backyard farmer, it will have to be worms.
Not much breakfast fodder from worms!
Old May 13th 2009, 11:56 am

Not much breakfast fodder from worms!
Worm tea?
Old May 13th 2009, 4:31 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol!- I think the dead lawn and the cracked slab are separate effects! It's a condition of our lease that we use the sprinklers as dictated - here's how it was explained to us (bear in mind I'm not the scientist that dbj is!).

With the extreme high temps we get here the soil expands and contracts (technically I should imagine it's the air pockets in the soil). This can cause problems to foundations - the solution is to keep the soil moist which avoid the expansion / contraction. Hence the need to use the sprinklers.

Lawns still seem to be pretty popular round here - over where we lived in the UK they were being torn up all over the place (mostly to create off street parking), but not so much here.
That's pretty much it.

Here in Plano we have clay soils. They contract significantly when they dry out. When the drought got really bad two years ago (250+ days without rain, I think) our Red Oak tree in the front yard drank all the water we were allowed to sprinkle (stupidly, we stuck to the water restriction rules, unlike all our neighbors). The result was that the front yard dropped about 10" in height relative to the house, the lawn died and our foundation slab cracked.

Not that it's much of a big deal. Every home around here will require foundation repair at some point.
Old May 13th 2009, 4:35 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
We are in MS, and I'm guessing that like gas, electricity costs vary in each state?

Anyway, we arrived in August last year, we have a 4 bed house, up and downstairs. We had AC running up and downstairs (2 units) 24 hours a day, until we got our first months bill, it was $550. That's with no pool........

Our average winter bill has been $160 per month, we would run the heat in the day and evenings (downstairs only) but not overnight.
It all depends on what temperature you set the AC to.

We have a 4 bedroom home too, but we set our AC to 80deg in the summer. When we set it to 75deg the first year, our bills were approaching $800. I have many friends and colleagues who set theirs to a chilly 71deg (or less!) and who regularly spend over $1000 on electricity alone in the summer.

Get used to wearing very little around the house, and have the windows open whenever you can.

...and to think that I now find it "pleasantly warm" when it's 90deg outside, and "heating up for the summer" when it hits 100deg!
Old May 13th 2009, 4:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Costs me $500 in HOA dues to run our pool... well and do the landscaping.
Old May 14th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

We have a 4 bedroom home too, but we set our AC to 80deg in the summer. When we set it to 75deg the first year, our bills were approaching $800. I have many friends and colleagues who set theirs to a chilly 71deg (or less!) and who regularly spend over $1000 on electricity alone in the summer.

Get used to wearing very little around the house, and have the windows open whenever you can.

...and to think that I now find it "pleasantly warm" when it's 90deg outside, and "heating up for the summer" when it hits 100deg!
You're absolutely right, I paid no attention to the thermostat last year until we got the first bill, I won't be doing that again!

So far this year we've had the AC on for a couple of hours upstairs to cool it down a bit, and then I switch it off before bed.
We've been sleeping with just sheets for the last few weeks, the temp ovenight is usually about 25c, wich seemed intolerable at first but we've all got used to it.
Old May 14th 2009, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbj1000

It's reassuring to read that advice - it's pretty much how we've settled on things with our AC.

We arrived last July with temps in the 100s and we were so stupid we initially had our AC set to 72deg Our first monthly bill was approx $600! Not to mention, we were reaching for another layer of clothes indoors

We've now got it set at 80deg - turning down a couple of degrees for a short while before my son goes to bed so he can get off to sleep easily.

I also keep an eye on the inside/outside temps during the day and whenever it's cooler outside I open up windows - with the ceiling fans on, that's quite effective.

Here's to lower bills this year

Apologies to the OP if we've got a bit side tracked from pools - but hopefully, this is useful stuff too!
Old May 14th 2009, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
We've been sleeping with just sheets for the last few weeks, the temp ovenight is usually about 25c, wich seemed intolerable at first but we've all got used to it.
It's amazing how quickly you get used to it, isn't it?
Old May 14th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

It is! when we lived in London we often had very high temperatures inside our house (we had a south facing bedroom with a huge window) and it could be 28c or more overnight, with no AC or ceiling fan, it was horrible.

The difference was that if you waited a couple of days the temperature would usually drop, not likely here in July and August!
Old May 14th 2009, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! How true! When we first arrived in Houston I was freezing at night. OH would turn the AC to 70 and I froze. Ended up wearing 2 pairs of socks, leggings and jumpers, and then covered myself in as many blankets as I could find.

We've both acclimatised now and we have the AC set at 72/73 at night and 74/75 during the day.

PS. Reading this thread with interest as we're moving soon to a house without a pool. That little project will be on the agenda for next year!
Old May 14th 2009, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Just saw this story about a cow ending up in someones pool back in Blighty

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ming-pool.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.