Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much do you know about the USA?

Wikiposts

How much do you know about the USA?

Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:04 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much do you know about the USA?

Originally posted by Mrtravel
MrsLondon wrote:
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/wtwta/2962622.stm
    >
    > I got 9 out of 10, hubby got 8. And he's the USC!

I got all of them.
Which did you miss?
I got the discovery one wrong too, I said Vikings.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:09 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by frrussre
7 out of ten for me. Vikings was my answer, as in Leif Eriksson. Somewhat surprised @ the 165 million internet users. Though I did not read the question & wrongly assumed subscribers/members. Still 165 million seems high.

I still think the $41,994 is high. Federal, family poverty line is like $16k.
Still well done those who did better. I stand corrected & bowed.

Though we may not hear the last of this BBC etc.
Reg. Frank R.

Actually, although I got it right, I misread the question and thought it was average earnings PER PERSON. My hubby got it wrong cos he read it correct and thought it would be higher. I'm actually pretty gobsmacked it could be so low for a whole household. I mean, the average wage in the UK is supposed to be £22K, so as many households have 2 working, it stands to reason the average per household would be higher (like mine and hubby's is £35K and we are most definitely not rich). So in dollars our income is $53K. So how can the average US household income be much lower? I though people got higher salaries in the US? At least, that's what I was always led to believe. $41K seems shockingly low.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 10:18 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point

As they say there are the haves and the havenots,still blatantly true in the states as well as here.

Then again - They have got a few more million rednecks than us - LMAO

Cheers - mark
Old Jun 18th 2003, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default "The richest people-----

in the World (Major World) live in USA & some of the poorest"

I think the biggest miss conception about USA is the saleries. The Federal minimum wage is usually less then UK. is $5.15 per hour (Todays exchange rate thats £3.06). That does not cover restaurant workers etc, they get less , because of tips. Also no medical NHS.

I live in NY City, very expensive, yet the guys in my parking garage make $5.50 per hour + few tips. No medical & no pension.
UK is £4.20 going up to £4.50 in oct 2003 plus NHS.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/minimumwage.htm

http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/03poverty.htm

2003 HHS Poverty Guidelines
Size of
Family Unit 48 Contiguous
States and D.C. Alaska Hawaii
1 $ 8,980 $11,210 $10,330
2 12,120 15,140 13,940
3 15,260 19,070 17,550
4 18,400 23,000 21,160
5 21,540 26,930 24,770
6 24,680 30,860 28,380
7 27,820 34,790 31,990
8 30,960 38,720 35,600
For each additional
person, add 3,140 3,930 3,610

SOURCE: Federal Register, Vol. 68, No. 26, February 7, 2003, pp. 6456-6458.

Of course there are benifits/welfare/ income supplements for some. But try living in NYC, family of 3 $18,400.00

Reg. Frank.r. I'll put my crash helmet on & wait for the flack.

Last edited by frrussre; Jun 18th 2003 at 1:05 am.
Old Jun 18th 2003, 2:16 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "The richest people-----

Originally posted by frrussre
in the World (Major World) live in USA & some of the poorest"

I think the biggest miss conception about USA is the saleries. The Federal minimum wage is usually less then UK. is $5.15 per hour (Todays exchange rate thats £3.06). That does not cover restaurant workers etc, they get less , because of tips. Also no medical NHS.

I live in NY City, very expensive, yet the guys in my parking garage make $5.50 per hour + few tips. No medical & no pension.
UK is £4.20 going up to £4.50 in oct 2003 plus NHS.

<<snip>>
To add to Frrussre's post, the Department of Labor provides a map showing how much the each state's minimum wage compares against the Federal minimum amount.
See-
http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm

Some Americans dislike the presence of immigrants (especially Hispanic and South Americans) in the country. However, as frrussre points out, how many American born and bred Americans are willing and able to live on the minimum wage alone?

NC Penguin