Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How Much are Ciggies in Your Area?

How Much are Ciggies in Your Area?

Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:29 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Much are Ciggies in Your Area?

Originally Posted by britvic
No not worth it, I got caught back in UK when Hubby sent me 200 fags, had to pay 40 pounds to collect them, and that was 5 years ago!!!
Ouch!! Did he pay it? Or deny all knowledge and forfeit them?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:31 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Ouch!! Did he pay it? Or deny all knowledge and forfeit them?
No not worth it, I got caught back in UK when Hubby sent me 200 fags, had to pay 40 pounds to collect them, and that was 5 years ago!!!
It's all in the post. Sounds like the duty was paid...

NC Penguin
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:04 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin
But could he have said no, not collected them, and forfeit them...? I know some folk who did that in Singapore with videos that were sent in- if the post found them, they had to pay a censorship fee that was often more than the video was worth, so they would reject receipt and not pay the fee.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:44 pm
Love you Chris!

USAgirl will become famous soon enoughUSAgirl will become famous soon enough

Here a carton is $15.99...... Oh.....Im in South Carolina....
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:52 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

But could he have said no, not collected them, and forfeit them...? I know some folk who did that in Singapore with videos that were sent in- if the post found them, they had to pay a censorship fee that was often more than the video was worth, so they would reject receipt and not pay the fee.
Censorship fee?
:scared:

I bet the posties watch those in the back rooms alright.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin
Hubby sent my Christmas box to UK, the fags were inside with other bits & bobs, got a note from Post Man saying parcel waiting to be picked up, was told to pay the 40 pounds duty for the bloody fags!!! was mad but wanted the rest of my Christmas box, so he never bothered againe sending me cigarettes, I mean.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thomas elliott
[Well, anyone who doesn't care for those prices come on right up to British Columbia, Canada. Try 7.50 $U.S a pack. And those are the cheap ones.

Well NYC isn't far behind BC then at $7.00 per pack for premium brands.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:10 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

They are something like $6.00 per pack in Illinois. Therefore there are cigarette smuggling warning signs along the interstates as you come into the state!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Censorship fee?
:scared:

I bet the posties watch those in the back rooms alright.
Yeah, Singapore has really strict censorship laws, and any incoming videos have to be viewed to make sure they comply - anything from Coronation Street to a home video to Debbie Does Dallas will be viewed and charged at (I think) $10 per 30 minutes, irrespective of whether it passes or not. You have to pay it if you want the video. I think the only exception was for commercial sporting videos still in the original wrapper. I was once called by the censorship bureau to go and collect a parcel - they tell you when to come, and they open the parcel in front of you - I nearly cacked my pants when I saw it was postmarked from Sweden but when they opened it it was a sailing video my mum had ordered for me, so I got it for free. But a lot of people were walking out without even seeing what the video was - just asking them to scrap it - guilty consciences I guess
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:51 pm

Hubby sent my Christmas box to UK, the fags were inside with other bits & bobs, got a note from Post Man saying parcel waiting to be picked up, was told to pay the 40 pounds duty for the bloody fags!!! was mad but wanted the rest of my Christmas box, so he never bothered againe sending me cigarettes, I mean.
Oh, thats not nice!!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

ire blues will become famous soon enoughire blues will become famous soon enough

Anyone know if you're allowed to send tobacco through the post? I assume the answer is no, but wondered if anyone had any experience.
A mate in the UK wants some Red Man chewing tobacco to try ( ) and I was going to drop him a pack in the post. Checked USPS website and couldn't get a definitive answer - it mainly concentrates on live tobacco plants). Anyone ever tried it?
Try Federal Express. I work for a tobacco company and it is the only way we can ship small amounts of 'samples' over to our offices in Europe. It is only a matter of filling out the bill of lading correctly and you are good to go
Old Mar 30th 2005, 12:17 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ire blues
I work for a tobacco company

oh hello,

you've just become my bestest mate.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

ire blues will become famous soon enoughire blues will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Manc
oh hello,

you've just become my bestest mate.
it has it's perks if you like tobacco
Old Mar 30th 2005, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by ire blues
Try Federal Express. I work for a tobacco company and it is the only way we can ship small amounts of 'samples' over to our offices in Europe. It is only a matter of filling out the bill of lading correctly and you are good to go
I'm guessing fedex will probably a bit pricey, but will have a look at it - thanks. do you happen to know what the import duty is?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

don't collect them, then you don't have to pay anything...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.