Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How many times can you visit the US?

Wikiposts

How many times can you visit the US?

Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:13 am
Just Joined

English Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How many times can you visit the US?

Originally Posted by Norri
It sounds to me that if you do marry on this trip you may well have difficulty with the AOS as your boyfriend has already been warned by immigration, and may have problems proving he did not enter the country on the VWP with the intent to remain.
when i re-entered the usa after only being back in the uk 3 weeks after a 90 days visit to usa with an airline ticket for another 3 months i got stopped and questioned, searched down to my underwear, bags emptied, and they called my "friend i was re-visiting". basically they asked her why i was coming over, will we get married at which she stated "yes someday but i dont know when" and how long i was going to stay over, they asked her what i did for a job in england and who i worked for. after being there 2 hours with a red folder they eventually let me through, this was august 06 and i got married in oct 06, i filed all paperwork in the month of november 06 to become a resident and i had my final interview with immigration in march 07, the only thing she asked me was if i was asked if i was planning to stay in the country by the the officer at POE, so i said no as he didnt directly ask me that, needless to say, by may 07 i had my green card and have had no problems at all.

my advice is that if you are frequently visiting to see your lady friend, reherse with each other what you think they may ask you both if your stopped at POE and make sure the answer to the questions are exactly the same
Old Nov 5th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hopeful_Mark
Dean here are the dates I have traveled so far.

July 19th 2007, stayed 7 days.

September 19th 2007, Stayed 7 days.

January 5th 2008, Stayed 11 days.

May 6th 2008, stayed 15 days, Left on May 21st, returned to the US June 11th for 34 days.

September 17th, stayed 3 weeks, arrived back in the UK this morning.

I have never been taken for secondary questioning, I am generally asked 2 questions, 1. what are you doing in the US, 2. how long are you staying. In January I was asked a few more questions, where am I staying, the name of the person I was staying with. I find the wait in the queue to get to the POE desk to be the worst part of the experience. I was expecting to get questioned more when I went in June, but the visa was stamped in my passport before I was asked anything.
I never carry proof of ties to the UK, my reasoning on this is that it could look suspicious if questioned further and you start pulling out evidence to your UK ties. I am not recommending this to anyone it is just how I have chosen to travel.
So is it fair to say that the more frequently you visit the more questions they are likely to ask you at the POE?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
So is it fair to say that the more frequently you visit the more questions they are likely to ask you at the POE?
It all depends upon the POE agent you get, and if he had a fight with his wife that day.

Short visits probably don't excite them as much as long visits.

The more time you spend in the US, the more likely you are to get questioned and/or turned away is my impression.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
It all depends upon the POE agent you get, and if he had a fight with his wife that day.

Short visits probably don't excite them as much as long visits.

The more time you spend in the US, the more likely you are to get questioned and/or turned away is my impression.
That sounds about right. When I visited I was only asked why I was visiting, as I recall. Then my fingerprints taken and my photo, then let through!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English Dan
my advice is that if you are frequently visiting to see your lady friend, reherse with each other what you think they may ask you both if your stopped at POE and make sure the answer to the questions are exactly the same
Or better yet, don't lie...because that file on you grows thicker and thicker and if you go to remove conditions or get citizenship and you let something slip or they find a slight lie, you could well find yourself deported. A lie is much worse than a transgression....and with this being a public forum that they can and sometimes do read, I wouldn't admit to any immigration fraud....
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Or better yet, don't lie...because that file on you grows thicker and thicker and if you go to remove conditions or get citizenship and you let something slip or they find a slight lie, you could well find yourself deported. A lie is much worse than a transgression....and with this being a public forum that they can and sometimes do read, I wouldn't admit to any immigration fraud....
Agreed. I have no intention of lying about anything - consequences are way too high!