Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How many Brits in your town?

How many Brits in your town?

Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many Brits in your town?

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Hope you have a wonderful time Vic
Well here's me I can talk for England but this new acquaintance of mine, well I had a job to get a word in edge way's it's all good though, funny yet rather sad after all this time, here's me looking forward to going home and at last I've found some one who can just pop round for a cuppa, not even having to get in the car
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:55 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Well here's me I can talk for England but this new acquaintance of mine, well I had a job to get a word in edge way's it's all good though, funny yet rather sad after all this time, here's me looking forward to going home and at last I've found some one who can just pop round for a cuppa, not even having to get in the car
Then you'll look forward to coming home and telling her all about it.

Don't forget to ask her if there's something wanting!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:05 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

The Irishman and his Law have a lot to answer for

Glad you enjoyed it.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a blast, what I would do to not be able to get a word in edge ways! Make the most of the time you have with your new friend, she'll be able to email you and tell you what your old neighbors are up to It is a she isn't it .............????
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Have fun, Britvic!

When I was in Newport News, I was aware that there were loads of Brits but I rarely met any *sniff*. A neighbor was English but she'd been here 60 years so not much in common!

Here, our town only has a population of 2,000 so none here. There is a Scottish woman whose kids go to the same school as mine in the next town & it's nice to talk to her. I can understand it being a PITA when you're in NY or something but when you're practically in the sticks and rarely hear another British accent, it's a real treat when you do!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 1:02 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

While driving home from the DIY this afternoon, I saw a pickemup truck coming up behind me with a Union Jack license plate and a woman at the wheel. She went roaring past (I could tell she really enjoyed driving that big truck) and I saw she's from the same county AND had CLARETS on the rear plate. That means that she lives in my town, probably is from Lancashire but I've never seen her before.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I bumped into another local Brit last night who has been living in our town for 6 months (transferred with her husband's job, but didn't meet him). I know the North East is full of us but my town is pretty small (population of about 14000 - surprised it's that high as it actually feels smaller). Anyway, I have now personally met 5 other Brits and have heard about others - it seems that everyone in town knows another Brit (as they tell me when they meet me, of course they could all know the same one I suppose).

Anyone else seem to have a high concentration in their area?
I used to live in Highland Park, and in New Brunswick across the river. There were always Brits around, but I imagine it's due to the high concentration of universities, and the nearby train to NYC. You always seemed like a well educated lot. Your post makes me awful homesick - boy, can I go for some takeout from Shanghai Park on Raritan Ave.!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 2:19 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
Have fun, Britvic!

When I was in Newport News, I was aware that there were loads of Brits but I rarely met any *sniff*. A neighbor was English but she'd been here 60 years so not much in common!

Here, our town only has a population of 2,000 so none here. There is a Scottish woman whose kids go to the same school as mine in the next town & it's nice to talk to her. I can understand it being a PITA when you're in NY or something but when you're practically in the sticks and rarely hear another British accent, it's a real treat when you do!
You can always phone me!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the CCU over the weekend. When I was having the initial talk from the nurse she asked where I was from so I said England. She then proceeded to tell me that her other patient was English and it is unusual for her to have any English patients let alone 2 at the same time. Seems that all the Cleveland Brits are on the East side but I guess there are a few on the West side.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:08 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Seems that all the Cleveland Brits are on the East side but I guess there are a few on the West side.
present
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:54 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Jeesum Crow-I saw ANOTHER gal (this time in an SUV) with the Union Jack on the front at our major town intersection. Suddenly there's a plethora of 'em. OR it could be the same person with multiple vehicles.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 11:57 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

In our town of about 10,000 people, I know nine Brits, and five are good friends of mine, one my best friend! I agree with what others said, bumping into another Brit randomly means you probably don't have much in common, but I do love hearing a British accent when I'm out and about, and even on tv. There is a group of us Brits that get together for lunch once a month, and we talk about stuff like where you can buy British food (we don't have a Brit store anywhere near) - one lady has not been back to the UK since the 1970s, and really misses certain foods. We also share info such as cheapest air fares, how to renew passports, etc. and have held an annual Guy Fawkes firework party for the past three years. I think I'm the only one in the group that visits BE although I've tried to spread the word....
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:16 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I bumped into another local Brit last night who has been living in our town for 6 months (transferred with her husband's job, but didn't meet him). I know the North East is full of us but my town is pretty small (population of about 14000 - surprised it's that high as it actually feels smaller). Anyway, I have now personally met 5 other Brits and have heard about others - it seems that everyone in town knows another Brit (as they tell me when they meet me, of course they could all know the same one I suppose).

Anyone else seem to have a high concentration in their area?
We are the only ones in our Town that I know of...we had a few other Brits around this part of the Cape a few years ago...but they went home when their kids graduate early....I know of one very nice Brit on the Cape...she knows who she is.. ...but I don't hear a Brit accent much if at all around here....

Now in FL...that is a different story....I hear the Brit accent there more than a spanish one....
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbark
In our town of about 10,000 people, I know nine Brits, and five are good friends of mine, one my best friend! I agree with what others said, bumping into another Brit randomly means you probably don't have much in common, but I do love hearing a British accent when I'm out and about, and even on tv. There is a group of us Brits that get together for lunch once a month, and we talk about stuff like where you can buy British food (we don't have a Brit store anywhere near) - one lady has not been back to the UK since the 1970s, and really misses certain foods. We also share info such as cheapest air fares, how to renew passports, etc. and have held an annual Guy Fawkes firework party for the past three years. I think I'm the only one in the group that visits BE although I've tried to spread the word....
My son is stationed in Little Rock he has told me he has met lots of Brits around there. He went to the local hospital recently after a car accident, said it was so nice the nurse was from Yorkshire and the Doctor had trained in London
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:14 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

I know at least five, plus a couple of Irish guys. Plus Englishmum, though we've never met, is a couple of towns over from me.

I totally understand the whole thing about Brits in NYC, though. I used to hang out with a big group of Brits, but had nothing in common with them at all. What made it worse was that many of them worked together so knew each other a lot better than I knew them, so they felt a bit cliquish to me. It was like being back in high school. After a while I realised they weren't inviting us out anymore, and I just lost interest in hanging out with them. Funniest thing is, there was one guy who was an American, who dating one of the girls in the group, and he was the most accessible one there, much easier to talk to than the Brits. Maybe that's just me, but I found i had more in common with them all the Brits put together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.