Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

how long will it take

how long will it take

Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

kath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant future
Default how long will it take

Hi ,

How long in average does it take to find work over here? I'm just curious i have applied for two jobs in retail. I'm wondering if i will hear. As i have not as yet. I'm just impatient as its 7 months now and i received my work permit on Monday. Just scared i wont find one. As i hear all these horra stories about immigrants. Cant get work easy.

Thanks Kath.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how long will it take

Originally Posted by kath58
Hi ,

How long in average does it take to find work over here? I'm just curious i have applied for two jobs in retail. I'm wondering if i will hear. As i have not as yet. I'm just impatient as its 7 months now and i received my work permit on Monday. Just scared i wont find one. As i hear all these horra stories about immigrants. Cant get work easy.

Thanks Kath.

hiya kath, hope you hear something positive soon...the retail shops are advertising like mad with christmas around the corner...cheers
Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hiya kath, hope you hear something positive soon...the retail shops are advertising like mad with christmas around the corner...cheers
She's only had her work permit for 4 days...she'll find something before long.

BTW Perhaps that's why you didn't have any replies...no work permit.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
She's only had her work permit for 4 days...she'll find something before long.

BTW Perhaps that's why you didn't have any replies...no work permit.
yeah i gathered that, hopefully she'll get some news soon.....
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:41 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ,

Thanks Kath.
How long is a piece of string?

Depends on numerous factors:
You- your experience, how much/little you'll work for, types of businesses, hours & days you'd be prepared to work
Where you'll work- how far you'd drive, the retail market in your geographic location

In theory, the more experience you have and your flexibility, the quicker you'll find work.

However, I've no idea about the retail job market in Houston.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:47 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ,

Thanks Kath.
I would get my resume together if i were you and go down to greens point mall monday morning and walk in all the stores hiring for xmas, most of them will have jobs in the window or entrance that way you may get an interview there and then.

Good luck
Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:46 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

As i hear all these horra stories about immigrants.
Ah, you've come to the right place then. Shame you're not in Florida. We really like people in Florida.

As to your question, anytime, no time, whatever. Most US employers don't seem to bother replying unless they want you, so don't sit around waiting. Keep applying for more positions. Never mention anything about immigration status up front unless they ask, in which case just say that you are authorized to work in the US. Good luck.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 1:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends where you live, depends what your looking for, depends how flexible you are....but with holiday seasons and if all you want is part time, you'd have to be a complete dunce not to be able to blag a job in some mall type shop, the jobs are everywhere
Old Nov 18th 2006, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ,

Thanks Kath.
Finding a job is easy. Finding a good job is not so easy. As NC Penguin says, it depends on you and what you are prepared to do/ where you are prepared to move/etc.

One thing that constantly pissed me off (and still does) when I was looking for a job here was the way that your average American employer will talk a good game to your face, then leave you hanging and never get back to you. It's a pet hate of mine and I think its rude and unprofessional, but seems to be the accepted norm over here. I wonder if it's because they all subscribe to that sickening "Positive attitude" shit that is so rife here, and they are scared of bad mouthing anyone - me, if I'm not a suitable candidate, I want to be told I'm crap, at least then you can move on to the next thing.

I even notice this trend in business, and have done ever since I have had a job (one and a half years or so). Your average American appears to me to be much crapper at getting back to you than your average Brit business person. May be in the UK you get a quick email or phone call saying "I'll get back to you" if they are busy - here you get.....nothing, leaving you wondering if they ever got it in the first place. I seem to be forever chasing people, definately much more so than in the UK.

You say you've applied for 2 jobs - I'd say if you can find them, apply for 200 more, although its hard try not to fall into the trap I did of trusting a few people at their word that they have a place for you, and then.......hearing nothing, thus setting your job search back.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 2:25 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

10 year here........and still looking ................
Old Nov 18th 2006, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
10 year here........and still looking ................
You won't find one in the bottom of that pool, Ray!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

kath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant future

Thanks for your replies. You where helpful. I have 25 years in retail. Out of that i did 14 years of managerial. So i have alot of experience in the field. My husband say when i send off the resume i show them i'm very experienced. I should have a new resume made up for the jobs i'm applying for to way down my experiences. Whats your general idea out there.

Kath.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:38 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. You where helpful. I have 25 years in retail. Out of that i did 14 years of managerial. So i have alot of experience in the field. My husband say when i send off the resume i show them i'm very experienced. I should have a new resume made up for the jobs i'm applying for to way down my experiences. Whats your general idea out there.

Kath.
Yes get an up to date resume and as Dan says it does seem common place over here to build you up and then never hear anymore, or as I found alot of employers over here post a job wait 2-3 weeks, interview, and then about a month later you get a call telling you yes or no thats if you are lucky.

I have to laugh at the companies that post a job add and you apply for it 2 months later you get a call "can you come for an interview", like you were sitting home waiting for them to call you and they expect you to still be interested?
Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:47 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yes get an up to date resume and as Dan says it does seem common place over here to build you up and then never hear anymore, or as I found alot of employers over here post a job wait 2-3 weeks, interview, and then about a month later you get a call telling you yes or no thats if you are lucky.

I have to laugh at the companies that post a job add and you apply for it 2 months later you get a call "can you come for an interview", like you were sitting home waiting for them to call you and they expect you to still be interested?

In the US you don't send a resume in for retail. You go to the particular store, and manually or electronically fill in THEIR job application form. A resume may never be seen. Just go to the mall, and visit the HR dept of all the big dept stores.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory
In the US you don't send a resume in for retail. You go to the particular store, and manually or electronically fill in THEIR job application form. A resume may never be seen. Just go to the mall, and visit the HR dept of all the big dept stores.
Beg to differ I know that Sears do it online.
But I worked in Famous Barr and did temp work in Bergners and they were both walk in to the human resource and fill out the application form with the resume which I know was kept on file as I found all the applications for the job I got with the resumes still attached to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.