Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How Long Will America Lead the World?

How Long Will America Lead the World?

Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:56 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Long Will America Lead the World?

Originally Posted by Boiler
Iraq does have a few comparisions with the Boer War.

Funny how history repeats itself.
Journalists and commentators have been falling over themsleves to draw parallels between Iraq and Vietnam, but I think a more appropriate comparison has been overlooked. Quiz - how said the following and what was he talking about:

There is the case of _____. I have tried hard, and yet I cannot for the life of me comprehend how we got into that mess. Perhaps we could not have avoided it - perhaps it was inevitable that we should come to be fighting the natives of ______ - but I cannot understand it, and have never been able to get at the bottom of the origin of our antagonism to the natives. I thought we should act as their protector - not try to get them under our heel. We were to relieve them from tyranny to enable them to set up a government of their own, and we were to stand by and see that it got a fair trial. It was not to be a government according to our ideas, but a government that represented the feeling of the majority of the _____, a government according to _____ ideas. That would have been a worthy mission for the United States. But now - why, we have got into a mess, a quagmire from which each fresh step renders the difficulty of extrication immensely greater. I'm sure I wish I could see what we were getting out of it, and all it means to us as a nation.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:58 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Journalists and commentators have been falling over themsleves to draw parallels between Iraq and Vietnam, but I think a more appropriate comparison has been overlooked. Quiz - how said the following and what was he talking about:

There is the case of _____. I have tried hard, and yet I cannot for the life of me comprehend how we got into that mess. Perhaps we could not have avoided it - perhaps it was inevitable that we should come to be fighting the natives of ______ - but I cannot understand it, and have never been able to get at the bottom of the origin of our antagonism to the natives. I thought we should act as their protector - not try to get them under our heel. We were to relieve them from tyranny to enable them to set up a government of their own, and we were to stand by and see that it got a fair trial. It was not to be a government according to our ideas, but a government that represented the feeling of the majority of the _____, a government according to _____ ideas. That would have been a worthy mission for the United States. But now - why, we have got into a mess, a quagmire from which each fresh step renders the difficulty of extrication immensely greater. I'm sure I wish I could see what we were getting out of it, and all it means to us as a nation.
Anthony Eden - Suez Crisis?
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman

Nice one.

I will guess the Spanish American War and a reference to the Phillipines?

If it was not, could well have applied.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:10 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one.

I will guess the Spanish American War and a reference to the Phillipines?

If it was not, could well have applied.
You're right, it was the Phillipines and I'm pretty sure it was Mark Twain who said it. Are we correct?
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Philippine-American War
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterbainham
You're right, it was the Phillipines and I'm pretty sure it was Mark Twain who said it. Are we correct?
yup.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philipp...ion_to_the_war

It sounded familiar as the missus had quoted it in a paper a few weeks back, but couldn't remember who said it, so a quick history search found it..
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:20 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Philippine-American War
Is that the one that broke out over Mail order brides?
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:35 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterbainham
Indeed.
The parallels are pretty spooky - right down to the civilian deaths and the widespread use of torture by US forces.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Is that the one that broke out over Mail order brides?
thought that was the ruskies?
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

IF the EU plays it's cards right it will be the next superpower.

It really does seem that America is on the decline, albeit only just onto the downward slope. Right now it's like standing up in 1901 saying "The British Empire is declining and the USA will be the next superpower". No one would beleive you at that point

Remember that the fall of an empire does not also mean the fall of the nexus of the empire. In this case the Republic of the (Continental) USA. It means the loss of its periphery control. And that happens when its returns from its extended control network dimish to a point where it can no longer sustain them. Thats when an empire starts to contract back in on itself and the hub country or state is no longer seen as a world superpower.

This is an interesting read:

http://www.transnational.org/forum/m...mpireFall.html
Old Jun 7th 2006, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

mayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nice

It's hard to say what will happen. I look at the last 15 years as an anomaly..the US is currently the sole superpower since the Soviet Union broke up in 1991. When the British and French colonia empire broke up it created a lot of independent countries. Since US territory is largely confined to North America (with the exception of Guam, Virgin islands, etc) I don't see that happening.

In my personal view that is largely based on history I see America remaining ONE of SEVERAL powers with China and India for the forseeable future.

I don't think the EU can get it together. The majority of British citizens want to leave it, the referendums last year failed, and the economies of France and Germany are going to continue to contract as long as they stay on their present course. Additionally, the EU habit of expanding into poor Eastern Europe will not help things either.

Europe is dead...the EU is bloated, the French continue to surrender to their own citizens and aliens....

India and China have no respect for a 35 hour work week...and they'll work without all the benfits that are expected in Europe.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
IF the EU plays it's cards right it will be the next superpower.
Possible, well I guess, but everything about this so contradicts the history of the EU.

I really can not see it surviving anything major, too many conflicting interests.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 2:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

No offense, but just because we hear the media stating "lone super power" doesn't make it so.

Just exactly why is the USA a lone super power?
economically? militarily?

what constitutes a super power?

It's all very well kicking f**k out of third world countries in the middle east, but it's no good when your great grandkids will still be paying for it.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

mayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nice

Possible, well I guess, but everything about this so contradicts the history of the EU.

I really can not see it surviving anything major, too many conflicting interests.
Yes I agree....if it stayed true to its original intent then I think it could be very successful. But it has expanded to try to be the United States of Europe and a lot of the people do not want that.

The European Rapid Reaction force is a joke...one of the members of the EU (Cyprus) still requires a permanent UN presence.

As much as military action is a last resort, Europe needs to prove that it has the will and the way to tackle threats if necessary. We all know what a mess the UN is.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Manc
No offense, but just because we hear the media stating "lone super power" doesn't make it so.

Just exactly why is the USA a lone super power?
economically? militarily?

what constitutes a super power?

It's all very well kicking f**k out of third world countries in the middle east, but it's no good when your great grandkids will still be paying for it.
I thought the Chinese were paying for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.