Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long can you legally drive on your British driving license after you move to USA

How long can you legally drive on your British driving license after you move to USA

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:18 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long can you legally drive on your British driving license after you move to

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I'd have to disagree. The examiner would likely take it for arrogance and make your life more difficult. Plus, they might then want to swap your license (like Georgia, above). They have no right to it - it's not subject to American law. So keep it hidden.
But if you don't show them your UK license, how can you prove you've ever driven??

I may be wrong, but in Georgia, if I claimed I hadn't driven before, you have to have a learners permit and then prove you've driven for a set amount of hours.

But what do you need your UK for anyway once you get a US license? No good to me here so let it collect dust in their files rather than my wallet.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:37 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long can you legally drive on your British driving license after you move to USA

My instructor was more intersted in whether I thought Princess Diana had been murdered or was it a terrible accient? I passed needless to say.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long can you legally drive on your British driving license after you move to USA

Originally Posted by bored-silly
My instructor was more intersted in whether I thought Princess Diana had been murdered or was it a terrible accient? I passed needless to say.

how bizarre, mine also asked loads of questions about Princess Di, they still love her over here. My MIL was once in a taxi in New York just after she had died, he went into some long speech about how sorry he was etc etc, she stopped him mid sentence and said "look you're talking to someone who doesn't give a shit" he threw her out the taxi!!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:12 pm
Perfumdiva1

Default Re: How long can you legally drive on your British driving license after you move to

Originally Posted by MHolkham
I know there is a time limit but have frogotten 6 Months?

I did it for 2 years..........

No problema

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:12 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
how bizarre, mine also asked loads of questions about Princess Di, they still love her over here. My MIL was once in a taxi in New York just after she had died, he went into some long speech about how sorry he was etc etc, she stopped him mid sentence and said "look you're talking to someone who doesn't give a shit" he threw her out the taxi!!
Perhaps driving instructors outside Britain collectively have a thing about Princess Di? When I lived in Uganda I regularly used to see cars from the "Princess Diana Memorial Driving School" in Kampala. Always thought that was a tad innappropriate (but funny).
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:15 pm
Perfumdiva1

Smile Re: How long can you legally drive on your British driving license after you move to

Originally Posted by MHolkham
I know there is a time limit but have frogotten 6 Months?

Actually, it wasnt 2 years, it was 3years, and we were insured the whole time

And I was most pissed off that i had to take a test again

As far as Ii know, the Americans didnt have to take a test in the UK

Could be wrong, and no doubt, someone shall correct me if I am wrong.......

PD

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1

Could be wrong, and no doubt, someone shall correct me if I am wrong.......

PD
They've gotta year, then they have to take it.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
I think it's Catch 22.
A UK license is valid for 12 months, but most (if not all) States insist that you get a license within 30-60 days.
It's all about when your considered a resident.
Maine, you are allowed 12 months before you get one...and they never asked about the british license, treated me as someone who doesn't have a license, all be it, letting it slide that I drove to the test centre on my own

There's a good thread of driving stories called "Driving loser"...
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:25 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by fatbrit
They've gotta year, then they have to take it.

Knew someone would be on the ball LOL

PD

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
Use to be the case....but now they have to take the test...don't know when it changed though....but for some reason, a Japanese license can be changed for a UK one...don't know why, but quite a few of my mothers friends did it...
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Pennsylvania is 1 year, as long as you have your international driver's license to go along with your British license. An international driver's license can be picked up from your local UK post office before you leave for a massive 4 GBP..no test!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:31 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by Bob
Maine, you are allowed 12 months before you get one...and they never asked about the british license, treated me as someone who doesn't have a license, all be it, letting it slide that I drove to the test centre on my own

To be honest, I think I should have taken my test within the first 3-6 months, but put the insurance companies off, with various reasons

My husband eventually went for his test 6-9 months after we landed, and the ironic thing was, on the way home from the test, which he had passed, he was stopped for speeding, and he showed is UK licence, and the officer, said, too much trouble dealing with those, and let him off, thank God

We have been lucky, but it totally pisses me off, having to sit a test again, when I took my original one when I was 17

Yeah Yeah, I know we are on the other side of the road, but it is just the principle, didnt want to go through that nerve wracking experience twice in a lifetime LOL

Dont do well under pressure

PD

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob

Its offically 10 days after residency in Califonia - its on the DMV website - no one cares though ! we did after one month
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Use to be the case....but now they have to take the test...don't know when it changed though....but for some reason, a Japanese license can be changed for a UK one...don't know why, but quite a few of my mothers friends did it...

Japan's an exception. Details here.

Yanks get one year and that's their lot!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Lottie
Pennsylvania is 1 year, as long as you have your international driver's license to go along with your British license. An international driver's license can be picked up from your local UK post office before you leave for a massive 4 GBP..no test!
It's a permit, not a license...and can get one from the AA online too
Needed one myself because my license is still an old paper one...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.