Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long can I drive with my UK licence in CA?

How long can I drive with my UK licence in CA?

Old Jun 22nd 2014, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long can I drive with my UK licence in CA?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
"Resident" means any person who manifests an intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. Presence in the state for six months or more in any 12-month period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency.

The following are evidence of residency for purposes of vehicle registration:

(a) Address where registered to vote.

(b) Location of employment or place of business.

(c) Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education.

(d) Attendance of dependents at a primary or secondary school.

(e) Filing a homeowner's property tax exemption.

(f) Renting or leasing a home for use as a residence.

(g) Declaration of residency to obtain a license or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.

(h) Possession of a California driver's license.

(i) Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.
Yes.

I think the authorities see 'resident' as meaning you've moved here to live. They are not really interested in the intricacies of your status.

In the end, it's up to each individual what they decide to do though.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Any ONE of the above is sufficientl. b) and f) snags almost everyone no matter their citizenship or visa status. Only a fool would argue otherwise.
and there is also the final catch all

(i) Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.
which, effectively, translates into "we may not be able to define what being a 'resident' of California is, but we know it when we see it" ...
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 3:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
.... I think the authorities see 'resident' as meaning you've moved here to live. .......
Indeed. Until this evening I hadn't considered it to be a difficult concept to grasp.
..... In the end, it's up to each individual what they decide to do though.
And up to the police and the courts to determine the consequences if they decide wrongly.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think the authorities see 'resident' as meaning you've moved here to live. They are not really interested in the intricacies of your status.
Yes, although it is worth noting that California, like most states, has quite different definitions of "residence" for different purposes.

Broadly speaking, the definition of "residence" for purposes that require you submit to the jurisdiction of the state (such as having to get a CA driver's license or pay CA state income tax) is intended to cover as many people as possible.

On the other hand, the definition of "residence" for purposes that entitle you to benefits (such as eligibility for Medicaid or in-state tuition rates at state colleges and universities) is much narrower and intended to exclude as many people as possible.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

SamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
"Resident" means any person who manifests an intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. Presence in the state for six months or more in any 12-month period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency.

The following are evidence of residency for purposes of vehicle registration:

(a) Address where registered to vote.

(b) Location of employment or place of business.

(c) Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education.

(d) Attendance of dependents at a primary or secondary school.

(e) Filing a homeowner's property tax exemption.

(f) Renting or leasing a home for use as a residence.

(g) Declaration of residency to obtain a license or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.

(h) Possession of a California driver's license.

If that is the case, then got me on (d) and (f)!
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 7:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes, although it is worth noting that California, like most states, has quite different definitions of "residence" for different purposes.

Broadly speaking, the definition of "residence" for purposes that require you submit to the jurisdiction of the state (such as having to get a CA driver's license or pay CA state income tax) is intended to cover as many people as possible.

On the other hand, the definition of "residence" for purposes that entitle you to benefits (such as eligibility for Medicaid or in-state tuition rates at state colleges and universities) is much narrower and intended to exclude as many people as possible.
That seems a bit cynical. I thought state governments and their bureaucracies existed to serve us, the citizens and other residents?
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
That seems a bit cynical. I thought state governments and their bureaucracies existed to serve us, the citizens and other residents?
Sorry, I did not intend to come off as being "a bit cynical" I was trying to be very cynical ...
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 22nd 2014, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Santab is an unknown quantity at this point

You can drive for 12 months, then you have to get a CA licence. I know because I've done it.
The issue was made clear to me by my Insurance company - Statefarm. They insured me for a year but no longer on a UK licence.
Don't worry about the Police, they just need a licence and more importantly insurance.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Santab
You can drive for 12 months, then you have to get a CA licence. I know because I've done it.
The issue was made clear to me by my Insurance company - Statefarm. They insured me for a year but no longer on a UK licence.
Don't worry about the Police, they just need a licence and more importantly insurance.
Just because an insurance company is willing to insure you for a year on a foreign license, doesn't mean the state is cool with you driving for 12 months on it when you are a resident of said state.

The DMV website is clear as day, not sure why there seems to be confusion.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Insured for 12 months when you are a US resident with only a UK DL...Did you get that in writing? If not you've probably wasted your money because you wouldn't be covered if you had an accident. If insurance companies can wriggle out of paying up they will...and that gives them plenty of wriggle room.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 11:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Because you got away with it, does not make it the law.

And yes, you should worry about the police. Sure, a lot of cops will probably not bother, but plenty will do you for it and if you're involved in a accident that leaves someone with serious medical care, you can easily find things escalate when your cover is voided.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is one of those mental block issues, like driving back in the UK with the UK licence when you no longer live there. The tests are not hard and might as well do them now, what's the benefit in waiting 12 months?

You can only lead a horse to water though.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 12:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
This is often a misconception held by liberals and the left of centre gang. The reality of government is a lot easier to come to terms with if you lean to the right. If I might quote the late great President Reagan, "The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.