Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long before the kids get a US accent?

Wikiposts

How long before the kids get a US accent?

Old May 24th 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

britoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nicebritoverseas is just really nice
Default Re: How long before the kids get a US accent?

What about couples that are UK/US and had kids born in the US. The wife (Texan) and I will be starting a family soon. I guess there is very little chance that my kids will have any of my accent?
Old May 24th 2009, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britoverseas
What about couples that are UK/US and had kids born in the US. The wife (Texan) and I will be starting a family soon. I guess there is very little chance that my kids will have any of my accent?
Don't be so sure. My kids were born in England and have an English father but I am Scottish. They each have about a dozen or so words that they say with Scottish accents. They only spend about 4 days out of the year in Scotland visiting with grandparents. Although if I am honest I have tried really hard to get them to say things with a Scottish accent!
Old May 24th 2009, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

After 46 years in Canada I still have enough of a London area accent to be recognized in conversation. My wife has an even stronger English accent. The most common question is "Are you from Australia?"

As to young peoples speech (anyone under 25), I think the main problem is that conversation is to them like a horse race and they try to get as many words as they can in a short span. They are all become Twitterers.

I have noticed that particularly on the US TV morning shows that this type of conversation is creeping in. It gets so bad at times that all three are talking at the same time.
Old May 24th 2009, 9:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukintexas
As well as all of the things above: pronouncing a "d" instead of "t" in words such as battery/baddery and butter/budder, the use of certain words such as "trash", "trunk", "pants" etc, the other thing I've noticed particularly in my son (nearly 14, been here since he was 10) is that all words seem to merge into one. So a sentence becomesonewheretherearenospacesorspecificpronuncia tionofeachword
Drives me insane! I have to ask him to repeat himself when he does it. For those of you who live in Houston my hubby and I call it the "Mattress Mack" syndrome

Does he "Save you Money"