Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long, on average, does the shipping crate take to get through customs?

Wikiposts

How long, on average, does the shipping crate take to get through customs?

Old Sep 15th 2010, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

meshwill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long, on average, does the shipping crate take to get through customs?

Hi,
We arrived in CT late Aug, air freight arrived 2 weeks later, shipping crate docked in New York on 6th Sept, anyone know roughly how long it might take to get through customs etc, and when I might finally see my stuff again!!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

budleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nice
Default Re: How long, on average, does the shipping crate take to get through customs?

Ours took a week but we are on the West Coast.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long, on average, does the shipping crate take to get through customs?

Originally Posted by meshwill
Hi,
We arrived in CT late Aug, air freight arrived 2 weeks later, shipping crate docked in New York on 6th Sept, anyone know roughly how long it might take to get through customs etc, and when I might finally see my stuff again!!
So really, you don't want to know the average for every/anywhere, but how long YOURS will take.. lol!
It's a coin flip. We have stuff held in Customs frequently and some of them sail through in a day or two and some take weeks. Very annoying.

Your kitty avatar.... we've trained our kitty to do that to beg for catnip when we tell her "Be cute!".
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

very spooky!! posted this question this morning and this afternoon got a call to say shipping container had cleared customs and is being delivered Monday!! yippee!!

So really, you don't want to know the average for every/anywhere, but how long YOURS will take.. lol!
Of course I mean mine!! I want my stuff not anyone elses!! lol !!

The kitty avatar is my (16yrs old) cat stretching!! no training needed!! lazy bones she is!!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

very spooky!! posted this question this morning and this afternoon got a call to say shipping container had cleared customs and is being delivered Monday!! yippee!!

Of course I mean mine!! I want my stuff not anyone elses!! lol !!

The kitty avatar is my (16yrs old) cat stretching!! no training needed!! lazy bones she is!!
It always seems to work that way.. get het up enough to post about it and bam! Result.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Is it really sad that I'm excited about my shipping crate coming!! we all discussed what we missed the most, my daughter missed her roller blades and bike, my son missed his bike and bed and my husband and I miss our sofa!! - it has recliners on either end so we can put our feet up in the evening!! - we look like darby & joan in the evening!! (by the way I'm just this side of 40!!)
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really sad that I'm excited about my shipping crate coming!! we all discussed what we missed the most, my daughter missed her roller blades and bike, my son missed his bike and bed and my husband and I miss our sofa!! - it has recliners on either end so we can put our feet up in the evening!! - we look like darby & joan in the evening!! (by the way I'm just this side of 40!!)
Lucky you!! When we arrived here in February, we didn't see our crate for 13 weeks!!! And it took over 2 weeks to clear customs with a bill of over $400 to get it released. Glad you didn't have to wait long and welcome to Connecticut
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

My container got through customs within a couple of days after arrival - IIRC my customs agents told me it had arrived the Thursday it was supposed to arrive and had cleared customs on the following Tuesday.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:20 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you'll get your container on Monday -- have fun rediscovering all your stuff!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for the replies and welcome wishes etc, currently clearing rental furniture away for collection and then ready to fill rooms on Monday!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:40 pm
FAA
Just Joined

FAA is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll have so much fun rediscovering everything, it really helps you to feel more at home! Nothing like having your own stuff around you!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

We arrived 9th of July and our shipping is being delivered tomorrow, so 10 weeks for us. I want my shoes and books, kids want their toys and my husband wants none of it as he's had to take a day off work to help sort it all.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

You're lucky, we've been here six months so far and as we haven't yet sold our house in the UK, our stuff is all still there! I think we're highly unlikely to see any of our stuff before Christmas.