Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to get a Florida drivers license?

Wikiposts

How to get a Florida drivers license?

Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:07 pm
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of
Smile How to get a Florida drivers license?

Hi, I am moving to Florida early next year, I wonder if anyone might be able to offer some advice on the steps involved to getting a drivers license? I plan on buying a car fairly soon after arriving but of course I need insurance for the car and a license! I should have my social security number by then but the license issue confuses me a bit so I would be grateful on any advice on the steps involved. Many thanks Simon
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get a Florida drivers license?

Google is your friend.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/faqkeys.html#NUSC

Steps:
- Take passport with I-94
- Social security card
- Proof of residential address (payslip?)
- Other supporting documents if required by your visa type (you didn't say)
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Step 1 - Take tick test.
Step 2 - Drive round car park for approx 2 mins.
Simple as that.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:08 pm
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Haha, it really is that easy! I guess if you've been driving a while they can tell, but I think even first timers do the same test, which is frightening. Nothing like the long expensive way of getting a DL in the UK. I wonder if there are more accidents in FL than the UK, considering the two different tests?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Floridared
Haha, it really is that easy! I guess if you've been driving a while they can tell, but I think even first timers do the same test, which is frightening. Nothing like the long expensive way of getting a DL in the UK. I wonder if there are more accidents in FL than the UK, considering the two different tests?
Yep - first timers do take the same test. Point to note though, most Americans do "Drivers Ed" in school - and pass their test at 16 as part of that class.

As I understand it the people queuing in the DMV office are either people who didn't do it at school (not many) and immigrants.

Worrying thing is, no matter what your driving experience, so long as you can get round that car park, you are in.