Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finacial Grants for new immigrants?

Finacial Grants for new immigrants?

Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

spandexpete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finacial Grants for new immigrants?

Hi all.

I heard a rumour that there is a US governement fund available for new immigrants to help with anything from moving to education to starting a small business. Does anyone have any information about this at all? I've just moved here and the process left me strugglnig.

PS I have trawled the google's 4 1/2 million responses but a lot of them are just scams to get you to give $25 to tell you there are thousands of grants available to you for everything but I wanted to hear it from someone who has been through it.

Thanks.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:14 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finacial Grants for new immigrants?

It is not true.

Pub rumor at best, scam at worst.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:30 am
Just Joined

Aaaahh. Thanks for that. Thought it might be too good to be true.

Cheers.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spandexpete
I heard a rumour that there is a US governement fund available for new immigrants to help with anything from moving to education to starting a small business.
Either someone was pulling your leg or you have been watching too many late night infomercials
Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:59 am
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of

What does 'Finacial' mean? Is it similar to 'Financial'?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 4:32 am
Just Joined

are you short on things to do perhaps? let's assume the word was 'financial' as it kind of fits...
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

About as much chance as them assisting the Saddam Hussein

Oh wait ! .............. they did
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

While it is not federal, there are some states and/or cities that will provide loans to new immigrants to set up new businesses at a very discounted rate of interest. New York City was once one of those. Not sure in recent times if it is continuing that program.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

I heard a rumour that there is a US governement fund available for new immigrants to help with anything from moving to education to starting a small business. Does anyone have any information about this at all? I've just moved here and the process left me strugglnig.

PS I have trawled the google's 4 1/2 million responses but a lot of them are just scams to get you to give $25 to tell you there are thousands of grants available to you for everything but I wanted to hear it from someone who has been through it.

Thanks.

When you become a Permanent Resident, you can qualify for Federal Financial Aid to pursue a degree at an accredited university. The Aid can be in the form of grants (no payback required) or deferred interest loans (payback begins after graduation).

If you are a minority, it can be easier to get grants to begin small businesses, but I don't know where to apply for them. I imagine you'd still have to be at least a PR to qualify for them.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 1:57 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

Thanks.
I don't think so, we don't have enough funds for citizens' education much less immigrants....unless it is a loan that has to be paid back.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

These the same rumours that say you'll be able to get a greencard before the weekend is out?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:16 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

can you imagine the Daily Mail outrage if the same rumours were applied to the UK - ie an new immigrant arrives and they just fall over to give them cash!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:56 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
can you imagine the Daily Mail outrage if the same rumours were applied to the UK - ie an new immigrant arrives and they just fall over to give them cash!
errrr...that IS the rumor I hear about the UK!
Seriously!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:21 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
errrr...that IS the rumor I hear about the UK!
Seriously!
it was somewhat tongue in cheek!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:32 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megalaser
What does 'Finacial' mean? Is it similar to 'Financial'?
are you short on things to do perhaps? let's assume the word was 'financial' as it kind of fits...

Very good......stick around

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.