Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to get dual citizenship?

How to get dual citizenship?

Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get dual citizenship?

Originally Posted by Maz
I'm a dual citizen, have been for 5 years. The thing about renouncing allegiance does not mean relinquishing foreign nationality. It just means that you are considered to be "more" American than British when you travel (and in the US as well).

The US does not care which passport you use overseas.

Rule of thumb is to use the passport of the country you are travelling towards, however when leaving the US on a round trip ticket, make sure you can also present your US passport as proof that you'll be allowed back in the country.
You only need to show a US passport to US officials.

Airlines are only concerned about your right to enter the destination country. The only time you may need to mention you're a US citizen to an airline on departure is if they look for your I94 or I94W form.

Daughter is a dual national, too. She was born here and has 2 passports. We didn't bother registering her birth with the UK Embassy in Washington, though we have until she is 7 to do that if we feel like it. I might bother if I feel so inclined. It says on the website that that is *not* required to retain UK citizenship.
If you are a British citizen automatically (not all children of British citizens are) then consular birth registration is not necessary.

It is however very advisable as not all US birth certificate documentation is accepted fully by the UK and having a consular birth certificate will avoid her experiencing a nightmare replacing her passport should it ever be lost later on (she will have no other proof of her status).

Who told you there's an age limit of 7? As far as I am aware there is no age limit at all, although not all Embassy officials understand this.

Jeremy
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaytee
It's a hurdle for you to get over if you want to proceed with becoming a US citizen.

<snip>

See, ultimately, you have to come to your own conclusion through research, because you are going to raise your right hand at the oath ceremony and say the words. They are going to tell you at the oath ceremony that the US does not recognize dual citizenship and will announce the UK as your former nationality as written on your US naturalization certificate which is used to get your US passport.

The bottom line is that you can have dual British and US citizenship without problems. Lots of people do.

Provided you are prepared to accept the obligations of US citizenship like any other American.

Jeremy
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

traceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
The bottom line is that you can have dual British and US citizenship without problems. Lots of people do.

Provided you are prepared to accept the obligations of US citizenship like any other American.

Jeremy
I just became a US citizen but have no intention of giving up my British citizenship. The main reason I decided to do it rather than stick with PR is that we are moving to Canada and I wanted the option of coming back to the US (maybe when we have a better president) and not losing my residency. We were looking into options for my husband to get British citizenship and found that it is simialr to the US in that you have to be a resident first and live in the UK. During this research, I was surprised to see that since 1989 (?I think) a child born in the UK isn't automatically a British citizen...not sure if this applies to other countries too..

Tracey
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by traceyparker1
We were looking into options for my husband to get British citizenship and found that it is simialr to the US in that you have to be a resident first and live in the UK.
For three years, if married to a British citizen.

Relatively few Western countries give out citizenship based on marriage without imposing a residence requirement. France and Italy are two that do, Ireland is another one but they will accept no new applications after 29 November this year.

During this research, I was surprised to see that since 1989 (?I think) a child born in the UK isn't automatically a British citizen...not sure if this applies to other countries too..

Tracey
The law in Britain changed from 1 January 1983.

Since then, one parent has to be a British citizen *or* permanent resident. The latter point confuses lots of people who think that the parents need to be British - not true so long as one has PR.

There are special provisions for certain non-British children born in the UK to get British citizenship, eg if they have no other citizenship, or if they live in the UK until age 10 (irrespective of immigration status).

Australia made a similar change in its laws in 1986, Ireland followed on 1 January 2005, and New Zealand will change its law from 1 January 2006. All require broadly the same thing - that at least one parent of a child born in the country is a citizen *or* permanent resident.

Canada and the US, from 1 January 2006, will be the only two Western countries that confer citizenship on all those born in the country without any additional requirements for the parents (other than they not be diplomats). A few other countries, such as Argentina, still also have a law like this.

Jeremy