Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to get dual citizenship?

How to get dual citizenship?

Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:32 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get dual citizenship?

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
True, I'm going to run with the 'essentially meaningless' line
It used to be that you were not allowed to have dual if one was USA, but the Supreme court threw that down for a USC who got a second nationality. Essentially, you renounce as far as the states are concerned, and then get a "new citizenship", and thats legal. They don't tell you this though.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
But if they were born in the US, I'm not so sure. I usually wait for JAJ's answer on this one.
Yeap that would be a problem... the right of birth thing only applies if the parent is a UK citizen at the time of birth.

I miss-read winterwords post I thought the colleagues kids had moved to the US from the UK.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

How do I know if I am a British citizen with the right of abode?
You will have become a British citizen on 1 January 1983 (the date on which the British Nationality Act 1981 came into force) and so will have the right of abode in the UK if, immediately before that date, any of the following applied to you.

You were a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies and had your citizenship by being born, adopted, naturalised or registered in the United Kingdom.
You were a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies and your parent (see note below) was, at the time of your birth or legal adoption, a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by being born, adopted, naturalised or registered in the United Kingdom.
You were a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies and your parent qualified for the right of abode under 2 above.
You were a citizen of the United Kingdom and colonies at any time before 1 January 1983, and had been living in the UK for five years or more without a break. During that period, you met all the terms of the immigration laws and, at the end of that period, you did not have any time limit on your stay.
You were a citizen of the United Kingdom and colonies and were then, or had previously been, the wife of a man with the right of abode in the United Kingdom.

You will also be a British citizen if:

you were born in the United Kingdom after 31 December 1982 and one of your parents was then a British citizen or legally settled in the United Kingdom
you were born outside the United Kingdom after 31 December 1982 and at the time of your birth one parent was a British citizen other than by descent (for example, by naturalisation, registration or birth), or
you were registered or naturalised as a British citizen after 31 December 1982.

Note: throughout this guidance 'parent' or 'parents' includes the mother but not the father of an illegitimate child, and the adoptive parents of a child who has been legally adopted.
Back to questions
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
How do I know if I am a British citizen with the right of abode?
You will have become a British citizen on 1 January 1983 (the date on which the British Nationality Act 1981 came into force) and so will have the right of abode in the UK if, immediately before that date, any of the following applied to you.

You were a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies and had your citizenship by being born, adopted, naturalised or registered in the United Kingdom.
You were a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies and your parent (see note below) was, at the time of your birth or legal adoption, a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by being born, adopted, naturalised or registered in the United Kingdom.
You were a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies and your parent qualified for the right of abode under 2 above.
You were a citizen of the United Kingdom and colonies at any time before 1 January 1983, and had been living in the UK for five years or more without a break. During that period, you met all the terms of the immigration laws and, at the end of that period, you did not have any time limit on your stay.
You were a citizen of the United Kingdom and colonies and were then, or had previously been, the wife of a man with the right of abode in the United Kingdom.

You will also be a British citizen if:

you were born in the United Kingdom after 31 December 1982 and one of your parents was then a British citizen or legally settled in the United Kingdom
you were born outside the United Kingdom after 31 December 1982 and at the time of your birth one parent was a British citizen other than by descent (for example, by naturalisation, registration or birth), or
you were registered or naturalised as a British citizen after 31 December 1982.

Note: throughout this guidance 'parent' or 'parents' includes the mother but not the father of an illegitimate child, and the adoptive parents of a child who has been legally adopted.
Back to questions
So let's say the colleague's kid was born in the US and held dual UK/USA citizenship. If they then have a kid with, say, a USC in the US, that kid is not a UKC.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:53 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend, in his late 20's, who was born in the US and is a US citizen but is also a Norwegian citizen through his parents. He hasn't had to renounce his Norwegian citizenship.

I thought they had changed the rules re: dual nationality and no longer made you choose. If I am wrong here, I'd be grateful if someone could provide a link.

Last edited by Wintersong; Oct 4th 2005 at 8:57 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
I have a friends, in his late 20's, who was born in the US and is a US citizen but is also a Norwegian citizen through his parents. He hasn't had to renounce his Norwegian citizenship.

I thought they had changed the rules re: dual nationality and no longer made you choose. If I am wrong here, I'd be grateful if someone could provide a link.

The US end is fine. Depends what Norway says, though!
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:58 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

The US end is fine. Depends what Norway says, though!
But I thought, from what other people have said on this thread, that it was the US end that was the problem.

My child will be born over here. As far as we're aware, he/she can have dual nationality and will be able to keep it for life.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:59 pm
Septicity

But I thought, from what other people have said on this thread, that it was the US end that was the problem.

My child will be born over here. As far as we're aware, he/she can have dual nationality and will be able to keep it for life.

S/he can! No problem!
Old Oct 4th 2005, 9:03 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

S/he can! No problem!
That's what we thought! This thread has made my head spin. I think I'll go take a cold shower
Old Oct 4th 2005, 9:04 pm
Septicity

That's what we thought! This thread has made my head spin. I think I'll go take a cold shower

If you'd taken one of those before you'd ended up in your current predicament, it would all have been moot anyway!
Old Oct 4th 2005, 9:15 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

If you'd taken one of those before you'd ended up in your current predicament, it would all have been moot anyway!
Hey! My child is NOT a predicament.

Does anyone happen to know whether or not we are allowed to get the kid three nationalities or is that just being greedy?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 9:16 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hey! My child is NOT a predicament.

Does anyone happen to know whether or not we are allowed to get the kid three nationalities or is that just being greedy?
I think Lion in Winter's little boy has US, Brit and Mexican nationalities.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 9:19 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by Manc
I think Lion in Winter's little boy has US, Brit and Mexican nationalities.
Excellent! After all, you never know when your child might want to go and live in Calcutta...
Old Oct 4th 2005, 9:19 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

want to go and live in Calcutta...
be the only place he can get a *****ing job soon.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 9:22 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by Manc
be the only place he can get a *****ing job soon.
*Lol* very true. Quite a lot of Indian people who were over here on H1 are moving back there - it's a booming economy (or so I'm told by people who understand that stuff)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.