Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do you watch TV

How do you watch TV

Old Jul 27th 2013, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you watch TV

We have a Tivo which the kids use to watch Netflix and Amazon prime stuff. I use a PC or iPad to watch Netflix or get onto StrongVPN to watch BBC iPlayer etc. Hate ads.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 3:14 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
. Hate ads.
ads? I have heard about them, but can't remember the last time I saw one.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 3:30 am
Just Joined

The Englishster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
+1 on this.
We have netflix (ad free) and Hulu plus which gets newer stuff and has minimal adverts. We used to have amazon prime too but decided we didn't need all 3.
I also use an IP proxy so i can watch BBC iPlayer and 4OD via HDMI cable and my lappy. the only thing I watch on tv is the basketball
This is exactly my set up too, plus Vudu for more recent movies. In addition I have digital rabbit ears which pulls in about 10 channels, and don't forget WatchESPN - it always has awesome coverage of Wimbledon.

Mainstream sports like soccer and football can be a problem. There's always P2P but the quality can be a bit dodgey. For the Big Game the solution is usually go round a mate's house.

I always thought the ads were there so you could go and put the kettle on...
Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:43 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We've got TiVo as well...love the box, but it's on Comcast cable, which isn't so lovely.....I use it to watch an hour a night of some cop show or other, and the occasional old episode of 2 and a half men

Wife uses a Roku box to watch crappy Korean soap operas

We supposedly have the blazing fast xfiniti Internet, so I'm keen to drop cable tv, but if one of the boys is on Xbox live and the other is streaming Minecraft and skype-ing at the same time as the daughter is trying to stream Netflix/amazon, and the wife is (shock, horror) trying to work, the whole thing gets really treacly....at which point something has to give, and it's back to TiVo...so not quite ready to ditch the cable just yet..
Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:47 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=The Englishster;

I always thought the ads were there so you could go and put the kettle on...[/QUOTE]

If you put the kettle on every time there were ads, you'd be needing extra ad breaks between the breaks just so you had time to go for a leak....either that or to upgrade to the extra high absorbent adult diapers....
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:43 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

We just spend our evenings sat round the piano.

Sometimes I'll join in with the wind instrument.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
If you put the kettle on every time there were ads, you'd be needing extra ad breaks between the breaks just so you had time to go for a leak....either that or to upgrade to the extra high absorbent adult diapers....
Agreed... notice how they are in cahoots too? If one channels is on commercial most others are too.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 3:35 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

Is DirecTV similar to Sky on that you can series link and just forward through the adverts?
Old Jul 27th 2013, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

The Englishster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tonrob
Sometimes I'll join in with the wind instrument.
We have that instrument too. Just love trumpeting away in the lounge.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yukichon
Is DirecTV similar to Sky on that you can series link and just forward through the adverts?
Pretty much any of the satellite and cable providers will provide (at a cost) a DVR which will do this. Our cable company provides a crappy one which still has a 1998 copyright notice and can barely hold 5 hours of HD. One of the many reasons we ditched them.

I use a PC connected to the TV with Windows Media Center (sic) as our DVR. Any programmes recorded are post-processed to remove the adverts. All we really record is stuff from the antenna.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife only had Netflix when I arrived. As good as it is, I still missed having proper tv, so I hooked us up with cable. Went with U Verse, but they all seem to be pretty much of a much. I work swing shifts so I DVR a lot of stuff meaning I can ff the ads. Still watch quite a bit of UK tv too. I hook my. iPad up to the TV and use FilmOn for live TV or VPN in Touch for iplayer or the other online streams. So far, neither has missed a beat.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:15 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

I've heard of a box called uktveverywhere which gives you all the free view channels but in the USA...Alan Sugar is always banging on about it on twitter
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. We cancelled the cable package and will now look at all your suggestions. Thank you!
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:13 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Roku box for us! I have Amazon Prime, which is well worth the money when you consider how many shows we watch, and my husband thinks the AcornTV channel is worth the nominal amount of money we paid for it. Otherwise we only watch free stuff, and we never complain there's "nothing on".
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

We've ordered a couple of Roku boxes and are now looking into Hulu Plus and/Netflix (and Amazon Prime too)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.