Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do you receive presents from the UK?

How do you receive presents from the UK?

Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

totty102 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you receive presents from the UK?

Hi

Ive searched for this problem and not had any luck so apologises if this has been asked before.

Ive found lots of links about people in US buying presents for family in UK but any ideas of how to do it the other way around, apart from sending them through the post?

My mum has wanted to buy me gift vouchers for my birthday but has struggled to find a US store which will accept her UK card as it isnt registered to a UK account. She looked at a few stores over here to buy things but again the same problem. Apart from Amazon.com, I cant seem to find many places that will allow you to buy an american product using UK debit card.
I wondered if anyone had experience of their own birthday / christmas presents from the UK and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Charlotte xx
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you receive presents from the UK?

Originally Posted by totty102
Hi

Ive searched for this problem and not had any luck so apologises if this has been asked before.

Ive found lots of links about people in US buying presents for family in UK but any ideas of how to do it the other way around, apart from sending them through the post?

My mum has wanted to buy me gift vouchers for my birthday but has struggled to find a US store which will accept her UK card as it isnt registered to a UK account. She looked at a few stores over here to buy things but again the same problem. Apart from Amazon.com, I cant seem to find many places that will allow you to buy an american product using UK debit card.
I wondered if anyone had experience of their own birthday / christmas presents from the UK and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Charlotte xx
My Mum just sends me $100 bills ... in a card
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

4 ways. Cash in a card. Travelers Checks in a card. Money into my UK bank account. Amazon.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 6:29 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Charlotte xx
You could always set up a "Wish List" on Amazon and then family and friends could buy something from the list.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 11:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My Mom in UK buys from Amazon and they accept her UK CC.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

We go for Amazon or money into the UK account.

But DH just turned 40 while visiting the UK, and so a few people got him a nice framed print.

He had the print boxed up to bring back to the US, which cost £25.

The airline then told him it was too big so he'd have to pay £50 to put it on the plane.

So he left it in the UK.

My mum just enquired about shipping it and was told it would be £100.

It is still in the UK...
Old Oct 4th 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

RBN282 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
My Mom in UK buys from Amazon and they accept her UK CC.
Both Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com accept credit cards from many other countries.
There are other restrictions-effectively they ship only books, DVDs and the like outside their home country. However, the simplest solution would be to use an UK CC to buy from some major US supplier like Amazon.com

Last edited by RBN282; Oct 4th 2008 at 9:39 am.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

No one ever sends me things from the UK

Not my kids or any of my family, ... Shit ! ... I only get one birthday card from my Son, my Daughter doesnt bother even to say happy bithday on facebook

Whats worse ??? ... My family here didn't get me a card this year either

So this year all I got was one f**kin card
Old Oct 5th 2008, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If she has an issue, use a proxy credit card service...
Old Oct 5th 2008, 1:09 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I'd receive them thankfully
Old Oct 5th 2008, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Hi

Thanks
Charlotte xx
What do you mean your mum's card isn't registered to a UK account?

I had a Macy's wedding registry that family in the UK bought from online using their UK credit cards, and my dad has paid for things from US companies on my behalf using a UK credit card in the past. I wonder why your mum is having problems?
Old Oct 5th 2008, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kins
We go for Amazon or money into the UK account.

But DH just turned 40 while visiting the UK, and so a few people got him a nice framed print.

He had the print boxed up to bring back to the US, which cost £25.

The airline then told him it was too big so he'd have to pay £50 to put it on the plane.

So he left it in the UK.

My mum just enquired about shipping it and was told it would be £100.

It is still in the UK...
What kind of print is it? Would it be possible to bring or send the print itself and buy a frame on this end?
Old Oct 5th 2008, 2:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
What do you mean your mum's card isn't registered to a UK account?

I had a Macy's wedding registry that family in the UK bought from online using their UK credit cards, and my dad has paid for things from US companies on my behalf using a UK credit card in the past. I wonder why your mum is having problems?
There are some sites that won't allow you to use a credit card that hasn't been issued in the US. A bit rare these days, but there were a few of them when I first came over, bit of a mare as I only had my UK cards at the time.