Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do we open a US bank account?

Wikiposts

How do we open a US bank account?

Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do we open a US bank account?

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
This is complete bo!!ocks that they told you!
could be bank policy and they are entitled to that, though it isn't hte law.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:58 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I'll bet dollars to donuts or shekels to samosas that it's not the bank's policy. Which bank was it, Muffin?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I'll bet dollars to donuts or shekels to samosas that it's not the bank's policy. Which bank was it, Muffin?
It was HarborOne Credit Union. They told me that they need State ID and insist on it because of the Patriot Act. They eventually accepted a utility bill in my name along with my passport and SSN instead of State ID.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English Muffin
It was HarborOne Credit Union. They told me that they need State ID and insist on it because of the Patriot Act. They eventually accepted a utility bill in my name along with my passport and SSN instead of State ID.
Well they would be wrong then.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 11:17 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

HSBC have an international centre and can deal with non-standard stuff unlike many people it would seem. Contact details:

Karen Makar
HSBC Bank USA, N.A.
International Banking Center
5 South Atrium
95 Washington Street
Buffalo, NY 14273
Tel. 1-716-841-0613
Efax: 1-917-229-5176
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:33 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot to be said for credit unions, but by nature they can be a bit provincial!