Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do we open a US bank account?

How do we open a US bank account?

Old Feb 10th 2008, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

bellepup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do we open a US bank account?

Hello, I'm new to the forum and already begging for help! We are a USC with full US passport + SS number, and a UKC with Legal Permanent Resident status. We have tried to open a US bank account both online and in person, with no success. We want to be able to transfer money over so that we can buy a house for cash, and of course live day to day!

The banks we tried all said the same thing - US passport, SS number and being there in person are no good, you have to have a local US address + a Utility Bill to prove it. We can't provide this - we have family in the US who are happy for us to use their addresses but they are thousands of miles away in California, and we are moving to Massachusetts.

We made this trip over specifically to open a bank account, as we had been told that 'Because of the Patriot Act you must be there in person so they can verify you' but this has proved to be untrue. What an expensive waste of time that trip was!

Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from 'Forget it?' I'd be most grateful. Renting first to get an address is not an option - we are buying a house and need a bank account so that we can pay for it!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 1:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do we open a US bank account?

Can't you use your relatives address it don't matter how far away it is ..

you must be there to open it though ...

My friend opened an account with Wachovia using his UK address ..
while he was here on vacation

What about a Citibank dollr/pound account ..they used to supply cheques from a NY branch ..for the dollars

Last edited by Ray; Feb 10th 2008 at 1:59 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Ask to speak to someone in charge - many times you get someone who doesn't know how to do it, so they just say they can't. I imagine you'll have to give "an" address, but you should be able to use a relative's address in CA just fine - the bank only needs an address to send mail to, they don't need you to be locally resident.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:09 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Ask to speak to someone in charge - many times you get someone who doesn't know how to do it, so they just say they can't. I imagine you'll have to give "an" address, but you should be able to use a relative's address in CA just fine - the bank only needs an address to send mail to, they don't need you to be locally resident.
It's a tad more than that under the Patriot Act, but you are right in advising to see the person in charge. They are probably better trained in the specifics of the Patriot Act's requirements than the folks at the teller's desk (though not by much).

Here is the relevant section re: addresses.
http://www.gcglaw.com/resources/fina...ification.html

Customer Identification Program Requirements

The Rule requires that a bank’s CIP contain procedures that specify the identifying information that the bank must obtain from each customer prior to opening an account. These include name, date of birth (for an individual), address and identification number. However, based upon an assessment of risks, a bank may require a customer to provide additional information to establish the customer’s identity in order for the bank to establish a reasonable belief it knows the true identity of the customer.

The Rule provides that a bank generally must obtain a residential or business street address for a customer who is an individual. The Agencies felt that it was important for law enforcement agencies to be able to contact a customer at a physical location. The Rule contains limited exceptions for individuals who cannot readily provide a physical address, allowing, for example, a bank to obtain an Army Post Office box number, or the residential or business street address of next of kin.

And since it comes up so frequently, here is some guidance on rules for foreign persons:

Because there is no uniform identification number that non-U.S. persons are able to provide to a bank, a bank has the option to obtain a variety of identification numbers from non-U.S. persons, including passport numbers and country of issuance and alien identification numbers. A bank must decide for itself, based upon appropriate risk factors, whether the information presented by the customer enables the bank to establish a reasonable belief that it knows the true identity of the customer.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived in Massachusetts on a K1 visa a little over 3 weeks ago and managed to open a bank account yesterday - but it wasn't easy. I took along my passport (with visa in it), my SSN, my birth certificate and a utility bill in my name from my MA address. With all of that they refused me at first saying that State ID is required to open a bank account and nothing else will do. After a little begging and pleading on my part they went off and asked a manager who allowed me to open an account. What swayed her was the fact that I had a utility bill in my name, she said that without that they wouldn't have allowed it. So it does look like you might be a bit stuck. Have you tried a few different banks, I once read somewhere that Bank of America were a little more forgiving?
Old Feb 10th 2008, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by English Muffin
I arrived in Massachusetts on a K1 visa a little over 3 weeks ago and managed to open a bank account yesterday - but it wasn't easy. I took along my passport (with visa in it), my SSN, my birth certificate and a utility bill in my name from my MA address. With all of that they refused me at first saying that State ID is required to open a bank account and nothing else will do. After a little begging and pleading on my part they went off and asked a manager who allowed me to open an account. What swayed her was the fact that I had a utility bill in my name, she said that without that they wouldn't have allowed it. So it does look like you might be a bit stuck. Have you tried a few different banks, I once read somewhere that Bank of America were a little more forgiving?
English Muffin-

How did you have a utility bill without a bank account?
Old Feb 10th 2008, 3:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Which banks have you tried? Bank of America is very friendly about this usually and Washington Mutual.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

It was Bank of America which first refused us!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:23 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Banks employ *****wits, but luckily they're a dime a dozen. As others have inferred - it's the person you're speaking to, not the bank itself, who's "rejecting" you. Ask for the boss (who may also be a *****wit) or go to the bank next door. And remember, just because Bank X sends you packing, it doesn't mean that another branch of that same bank 2 miles away won't welcome you with open arms...

I'm in MA, and I successfully opened an account without a permanent address or SSN when over here on a one week recce. That was just 3 years ago - surely things can't have changed that much since. Where in MA are you?

Last edited by tonrob; Feb 10th 2008 at 6:25 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bellepup
English Muffin-

How did you have a utility bill without a bank account?
Comcast didn't seem to mind whether I did or not, they certainly didn't ask for one.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

ian1976 will become famous soon enoughian1976 will become famous soon enough

You don't have to be in the US to open a bank account if you are a USC with a SSN.

I have just in the past couple of weeks opened checking and savings joint accounts for myself and my wife (IR-1 Unstamped Visa, but even that isn't necessary for a co-account holder) with Wells Fargo using our UK address. I did go in person to London to sign and show passport and bank statement, however I believe it can be done by mail if you also get a reference from your current UK bank.

Check out:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/downloads...fact_sheet.pdf

or you can email [email protected].

I found the guy in London to be very helpful.

edit: If you are planning to move to the east coast, Wells Fargo may not be the best bank for you due to lack of ATM coverage there.

Last edited by ian1976; Feb 12th 2008 at 1:39 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:07 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English Muffin
With all of that they refused me at first saying that State ID is required to open a bank account and nothing else will do.
This is complete bo!!ocks that they told you!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Well It seems everyone has different experiances... we came over last May on a ' househunting' trip.. we were moving to California in the July on my husbands L1 visa... Went into Bank of America.. Had a letter from my husbands company confirming what his salary would be etc... No visa (at that stage) No address.. but i do have a sister in Utah and used her address... Paid a deposit into the account and that was it... Oh and also used the Company's address for corresponance... We couldn't believe how easy it was...

The other thing we did do was open a HSBC premier account in the UK before we left .. and then opened one here in California... Now we are able to transfer funds between the 2.. there were some glitches in the initial stages as the US branches didn;t seem to be so well versed on the procedures.. but its sorted now.. and easy peesy... And got credit cards from HSBC too..
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink

The other thing we did do was open a HSBC premier account in the UK before we left .. and then opened one here in California....

What do you think of the HSBC premier account?
We are thinking about opening one.

thanks
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Well If your in the UK still I would recommend going in and opening an account there... And you have to book an appt. to see an accounts manager... There is the paperwork etc.. But it means you can automatically open an account in the states...

Thats what we did... then went to our branch here.. and as I say be prepared with lots of Patience and time.. have all your paperwork with you... Its nothing difficult.. just procedure..

We were told in the UK that once both accounts are opened we would then be able to view both accounts online (UK and US accounts) and then transfer between the 2.. It wasn't as straight forward as they told us in the UK but now that we have all the right international account numbers etc.. its sorted...

We're more than happy with the account... the only bummer is that the only branch is about half an hour away.. but Its not so bad..

Hope that helps..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.