Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do I know Im back in Blighty?

How do I know Im back in Blighty?

Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of
Default Re: How do I know Im back in Blighty?

Originally Posted by tonrob
Why on earth would it cock anything up? Trains and planes cross time zones the whole world over.
Have you ever traveled BA, Flybe or actually caught a train?? Time zones? - very confusing
Old Jul 10th 2011, 10:37 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Have you ever traveled BA, Flybe or actually caught a train?? Time zones? - very confusing
I do 90% of my flying on BA (3 or 4 return trips to the UK per year plus some EU flights) and I've traveled by train across America, Europe and various parts of Asia, Australia and New Zealand. None of that was terribly confusing. Must admit I've never had the pleasure of Flybe so can't comment on how they represent time zones in their timetables.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I do 90% of my flying on BA (3 or 4 return trips to the UK per year plus some EU flights) and I've traveled by train across America, Europe and various parts of Asia, Australia and New Zealand. None of that was terribly confusing. Must admit I've never had the pleasure of Flybe so can't comment on how they represent time zones in their timetables.
Im going to take this off topic but Im allowed as it was my topic to start with
Tonrob im not sure but do you fly to Teesside and if so which route? I had a nightmare journey from SF to Manchester via JFK then train to the boro last week - couldve got to the moon quicker
I might go from SF via Amsterdam next time but its so expensive
If its not you who is the boro boy then no worries

Ah now think i am mixing you up with Yorkieabroad!!!

Last edited by CAdreaming; Jul 11th 2011 at 6:27 am.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:15 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth would it cock anything up? Trains and planes cross time zones the whole world over.
Oh dear lord not another timezone.... what it really cocks up is computers. Because they all have to be updated, and since many businesses don't like to update for fear of breaking things, they don't remember how to do it.

I did not sleep the entire weekend that the US daylight time switch was mucked with because I was working helping everyone update their computers. Venezuela's little prank, on the other hand, did not cause a blip.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:03 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Oh dear lord not another timezone.... what it really cocks up is computers. Because they all have to be updated, and since many businesses don't like to update for fear of breaking things, they don't remember how to do it.

I did not sleep the entire weekend that the US daylight time switch was mucked with because I was working helping everyone update their computers. Venezuela's little prank, on the other hand, did not cause a blip.
But not really a biggie in the grand scheme of things, right? Once it's fixed it's fixed? I was more taking issue with the usual standard of twaddle that the plonker who brought it up posts on here.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:06 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Im going to take this off topic but Im allowed as it was my topic to start with
Tonrob im not sure but do you fly to Teesside and if so which route? I had a nightmare journey from SF to Manchester via JFK then train to the boro last week - couldve got to the moon quicker
I might go from SF via Amsterdam next time but its so expensive
If its not you who is the boro boy then no worries

Ah now think i am mixing you up with Yorkieabroad!!!
Even when I fly the Teesside flag so proudly at the bottom of each of my posts?
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:05 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Plus I'm sure you've crossed the border from England to Wales several times without a problem and Wales is what 200 years behind...
Old Jul 11th 2011, 6:53 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Slightly off title.. how did I know I was back in Blighty....

Dustbin men in Southampton were on strike! City centre looked like a pigstye
Petrol was 1.32(gbp) per litre (ouch!)
NOTW was in the news for doing something wrong!!
The cooked breakfasts tasted great
Nobody needed me to repeat anything!!!
Fresh air and a breeze (no stale dead air like in memphis)
Marks and Spencers
Fresh cream eclairs
Real cups of tea
and sitting on the M25 at rush hour going nowhere!
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Even when I fly the Teesside flag so proudly at the bottom of each of my posts?
Ah so thats what that little red dragon is !!! I thought i'd seen it flying in the boro!!!
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

All the computers I work on, at home and at work, are automatically updated timewise when the UK switches to BST at the end of March each year and then back to GMT again at the end of October.

You know what the British public are like over the simplest of changes - they whine and whinge and as this is a very tiny country geographically they may not get their heads round any clock time difference between Scotland and England and subsequent amendments on all time schedules. Anyway, it's all academic - it just won't ever happen. It's too daft for words.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Plus I'm sure you've crossed the border from England to Wales several times without a problem and Wales is what 200 years behind...
And many Welsh people are grateful for it.....they nip over the border to England, see what it's like, then nip back into Wales again and thank heaven for being 200 years behind, vowing never to make the same mistakes.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:13 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
And many Welsh people are grateful for it.....they nip over the border to England, see what it's like, then nip back into Wales again and thank heaven for being 200 years behind, vowing never to make the same mistakes.
I don't understand, the English have never made any mistakes.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

This begs the question - why even bother wasting your time responding to what you consider twaddle posted by someone you consider to be a plonker?
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think the official medical /psychiatric term is "denial".
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:19 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Thats not true. we forgot to put a toll booth on both sides of the Severn bridge!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.