Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How Do I contact The Royal Mail

How Do I contact The Royal Mail

Old Nov 10th 2012, 4:30 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default How Do I contact The Royal Mail

I sent a Priority Mail envelope via USPS to my bank in the UK. It contains a rather large check (made out in Sterling), so I wanted it tracked and signed for.

It reached the UK and Royal Mail attempted to delver it, but the bank will not accept delivery. I have no idea why. It is sitting at a sorting office somewhere, while they wait for the bank to respond to a notification to come and collect it. It has now been there six days. Does anyone have any idea how I can find out who to contact to instruct the Royal Mail to send it back to me. It does have my senders address on the envelope. All I can find is a generic customer service number.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Do I contact The Royal Mail

Send them a letter, perhaps?

... sorry - couldn't resist that ...
Old Nov 10th 2012, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I sent a Priority Mail envelope via USPS to my bank in the UK. It contains a rather large check (made out in Sterling), so I wanted it tracked and signed for.

It reached the UK and Royal Mail attempted to delver it, but the bank will not accept delivery. I have no idea why. It is sitting at a sorting office somewhere, while they wait for the bank to respond to a notification to come and collect it. It has now been there six days. Does anyone have any idea how I can find out who to contact to instruct the Royal Mail to send it back to me. It does have my senders address on the envelope. All I can find is a generic customer service number.

I would think your first order of business would be through the USPS. They would have the means to track it, I would expect,

Jim.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 5:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the bank has to send someone to collect it. They should be able to call the Post Office and ask them to try delivering it again. It seems this would be an easier solution (assuming you get to speak to someone at the bank who has some common sense) than getting the letter returned to you.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 5:16 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I don't think the bank has to send someone to collect it. They should be able to call the Post Office and ask them to try delivering it again. It seems this would be an easier solution (assuming you get to speak to someone at the bank who has some common sense) than getting the letter returned to you.
Wish it were that easy. My account is handled by the online banking part of NatWest and as such the postal address is I assume an office, rather than a high street branch. If I call it is a call center that handles the call.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 5:21 pm

Now I understand the problem. Just logged into my account to get the call center number to give Dunroving suggestion a try. Never know you might find someone sensible in a call center.

The postal address for my office has changed, since I posted the envelope. It has moved from Leeds to Edinburgh.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
I would think your first order of business would be through the USPS. They would have the means to track it, I would expect,

Jim.
I can track it online Jim, hence I know it is "held" and why. Trying to unstick it is the problem.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I can track it online Jim, hence I know it is "held" and why. Trying to unstick it is the problem.
It will unstick in time as the Post Office will only hold it for a period of time before they return the item to sender.

Could you cancel the cheque that is in that envelope and issue a new one and send to the new address?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by rebs
It will unstick in time as the Post Office will only hold it for a period of time before they return the item to sender.

Could you cancel the cheque that is in that envelope and issue a new one and send to the new address?
That's what I was hoping the PO would have started it on its journey back to me by now. It is a cheque payable to me for a large amount going to my bank to be paid into my account. If it is lost I've got all the hassle of getting the company paying me to replace it, and they are in the UK as well.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I was hoping the PO would have started it on its journey back to me by now. It is a cheque payable to me for a large amount going to my bank to be paid into my account. If it is lost I've got all the hassle of getting the company paying me to replace it, and they are in the UK as well.
I think it's 18 days they will hold something for before it is returned to sender, so a few days to go.

I guess you have got nothing to lose by calling the generic call centre number and seeing if it could be forwarded to the correct address?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by rebs
I think it's 18 days they will hold something for before it is returned to sender, so a few days to go.

I guess you have got nothing to lose by calling the generic call centre number and seeing if it could be forwarded to the correct address?
I think I've managed to find the sorting office in Leeds where it might be. I'll call Monday and see if they will accept the new address over the phone. I suspect not. I called NatWest call center and they will pass it on to ty and get it redirected as well. But it was an Indian guy in a call center who said that, so I will not hold my breath.

Thanks for the 18 days time frame, gives a bit of time to try and resolve things.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 12:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The learning point for anyone else reading this is that if a package is really critical, DO NOT use the postal service. You need to use UPS, Fedex, DHL etc.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The learning point for anyone else reading this is that if a package is really critical, DO NOT use the postal service. You need to use UPS, Fedex, DHL etc.
I'm not sure about that. I wanted to send an important document to the UK so I went to UPS who told me I couldn't send it registered mail to the UK, then tried to look it up in a book and said it would cost 'about $100' and it wouldn't really work anyway outside the US. Therefore I used USPS. I think Lansbury's item having the wrong address would have been a problem for any carrier.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'm not sure about that. I wanted to send an important document to the UK so I went to UPS who told me I couldn't send it registered mail to the UK, then tried to look it up in a book and said it would cost 'about $100' and it wouldn't really work anyway outside the US. Therefore I used USPS. I think Lansbury's item having the wrong address would have been a problem for any carrier.
That sounds very strange - I normally use FedEx for things like that but both FedEx and UPS offer very similar services and I would be surprised if UPS doesn't have an "International priority delivery" service for around $50 or $60 for an envelope containing documents.

The advantage of using UPS or FedEx is that they track everything from source to destination and are in the business of actually making sure that shipments get delivered. I have, on occasion, had to call FedEx to change the delivery address for packages and it was never a problem - that's part of the service that you are paying for,
Old Nov 11th 2012, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
That sounds very strange - I normally use FedEx for things like that but both FedEx and UPS offer very similar services and I would be surprised if UPS doesn't have an "International priority delivery" service for around $50 or $60 for an envelope containing documents.

The advantage of using UPS or FedEx is that they track everything from source to destination and are in the business of actually making sure that shipments get delivered. I have, on occasion, had to call FedEx to change the delivery address for packages and it was never a problem - that's part of the service that you are paying for,
It did seem very odd at the time I must admit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.